Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do your gc like to explore?

(13 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sat 03-Feb-24 12:14:14

I've noticed that with all of mine when they come to stay they are either going to an activity wit parents or playing with a toy they have brought. They don't seem to be interested in exploring the garden or the spare room where many treasures may be hidden.
When I went to my grans I loved going through her jewellery box and dressing up in the clothes in her spare room and looking through old photos and card albums.
My aunt had an attic full of old guns and swords and uniforms also historic medical books with gory pics.
She also had a yard with a rope over the stream and old outhouses where we could play all morning.
Is it just my gas who are unadventurous? The 7 year old refused to go next door with me to see the tree house in case someone saw us on cctv!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Feb-24 12:21:00

Mine are all explorers, the mid teens are now happy to play with the younger ones.

They are all apart from the eldest boy outdoors children and would rather be down the end of the garden in all weathers.

Exploring the stable yard and surrounding woods & fields, definitely free range GC 🤣

If it’s really too wet the GD is happy to explore my wardrobe and makeup and the GS’s will sometimes let her ^dress them up and apply make up)

Grandmabatty Sat 03-Feb-24 12:24:57

My two grandsons love exploring my house and small garden. When it's dry, we're outside as much of the day as we can be. Dgs1 goes everywhere in the garden. Dgs2 is not a climber, unlike his brother, but he loves looking for mini beasts

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Feb-24 12:30:39

Oh I forgot the mini beasts we have several bug hotels in the garden, and often have pet worms, ants, slugs and snails etc in boxes. I get instructions to feed and water them until the GC next visit.

MissInterpreted Sat 03-Feb-24 12:35:48

My GS who is six, is like my own two children, very much an explorer. He is very much an outdoor child and is never happier than when he is off on a walk with his papa and the dog, climbing trees, swinging on tarzan swings and generally getting up to all sorts.

tanith Sat 03-Feb-24 13:28:52

2 of mine live abroad but in an apartment but they are out at weekends and after school they do lots of exploring of their environment on the beaches and to the botanic gardens etc. Dad takes them on a fairly difficult walk/climb on the local Rockface fairly regularly.

Oldnproud Sat 03-Feb-24 13:40:36

My dgsons are very much outdoor explorers, the dgdaughterss to a lesser extent, being less inclined to be outdoors unless the weather is good
When they were little, the eldest two used to love to search through my jewellery box (with my permission) then adorn themselves with every single string of beads in it - I remember them saying that they were like "Mummy going to work". grin

I have to say though that exploring indoors is something that never featured in my own childhood.
Even in our own home, it was a given that you didnt root through other family members' drawers or cupboards, so it would simply never have crossed my mind that this might be a fun thing to do in anyone else's house.
It was the same at my grandma's, but there were still plenty of fun things to do there, both indoors and out.

I didn't know this kind of exploring in people's houses was something that other people did this until I was at my mil's house as a young adult - one of her dgd arrived and the first thing she did was disappear upstairs to hunt for treasure. It was a very big house with lots of rooms and plenty of 'treasure' to be found. ☺

fancythat Sun 04-Feb-24 09:20:29

I think they are. But they are a bit young yet.

Jaxjacky Sun 04-Feb-24 09:28:35

Our two were when younger, but outside not in, I’m afraid our spare rooms hold little interest and even our bedroom, which they wouldn’t have gone in, has no jewellery or old clothes.
But they loved the garden, although small, they’d help plant seeds, pick tomatoes, dig up potatoes, explore ants nests and watch the robins that nested in the greenhouse.
My daughter, still now, has them out for a long walk, sea or country, every weekend.

M0nica Sun 04-Feb-24 13:17:31

Both DGC have always been active outdoor children. DGS has been animal mad since infancy and was always off looking for insects - and bringing them home.

DS and DDiL take them all out for country walks and exploring most weekends, altough that is tailing off now they are both mid-teen agers, Now both take themselves off to visit friends, go shopping make trips with other children their age.

Purplepixie Sun 04-Feb-24 13:22:21

When mine come here they always do crafts. I get loads of paints, paper, brushes etc for them and clear the kitchen table. They cannot do these activities at theirs because it makes too much mess. I just love seeing them making things - even a mess! They don’t explore the garden because it is too small and we haven’t much to see in the spare bedroom. I am just happy that they are here and not worry about them exploring.

lixy Sun 04-Feb-24 13:48:51

Outdoor exploring - yes
Indoor messy crafting - yes
Indoor exploring - not so much since my cousin's children were found in my bedroom happily playing with the Lillets!

Norah Sun 04-Feb-24 14:08:31

Yes, all explorers (eldest GC is in her 40s, youngest is newborn).