Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Storing Electric Throws

(20 Posts)
Katiejxx Sun 04-Feb-24 18:20:16

I have invested in 2 lovely Dreamland electric throws this winter, one for bed, a lovely fur one, and one for the sofa, a lovely thick teal blanket. I looked up the storage information and to my horror it says don't fold but roll! But my plan was to fold them in the bags they came in and store away. Has anybody stored these over the winter before and how did you do it. I'm neurotic now about folding them as I might damage the heating wires, but they came to me stored and folded in the bags so am I panicking unneccessarily, they just cost a lot of money. I had one last year from the Range, cheapo at £45 and that has given up this winter, hence I decided to invest in Dreamland. Any advice ladies, I'd really appreciate it as I don't want to fork out year on year for these lovely cosy roastie toastie blankets, they've changed my life 😊

mumofmadboys Sun 04-Feb-24 18:25:30

Perhaps by fold they mean fold and flatten like a sheet. In reality these blankets are bulky so folding them is a bit more like rolling them if you see what I mean!

Pammie1 Sun 04-Feb-24 18:28:12

I’ve had one of mine folded on the ottoman at the foot of the bed for about 12 months - every time I’ve used it, it’s been folded back up and put back. I’ve not had any issues with it. I’ve also washed it in the washing machine with no issues - they can’t be tumble dried but work perfectly after washing and being left to thoroughly dry naturally.

Grayling1 Sun 04-Feb-24 18:32:13

I bought one over five years ago when my husband was very poorly and felt the cold even though the heating would be on all day. After he passed away I rolled it up and stored it in one of the drawers under the bed. To be honest I had forgotten all about it until the electric bills were shooting up but took it out then and have been using it ever since. Love it and have recommended it to most of my friends. I did make one fold down the middle as it was a large one but spread it on the floor and smoothed the wires all flat before I rolled it up.

woodenspoon Sun 04-Feb-24 18:35:46

I’ve got a red one which I’ve had for 4 years. I keep it in the bag it came in and it works fine.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Feb-24 19:13:44

I fold mine back into the bag it came in and all is well so far

damek1ndness Sun 04-Feb-24 20:32:27

I’ve had the same items for a couple of years. They’ve been through the washing machine and folded up in the spare room over the summer - still working perfectly

crazyH Sun 04-Feb-24 20:37:46

Washing machine ? Firstly, I do t have a big enough machine and secondly, won’t water get into the electrics ?

1summer Sun 04-Feb-24 20:44:58

I bought mine 18 months ago and last summer I put it away in the bag it came in.I have noticed this winter I have one or two cold spots, I did wonder if the wires have broken in those areas.
Mine is washable but haven’t done so yet.

Elegran Sun 04-Feb-24 21:28:23

1summer I think if the wires were broken the electricity would not be able to get through to complete the circuit, so it wouldn't work at all.

PaperMonster Sun 04-Feb-24 21:33:44

We fold ours up in the bags they came in. We bought two and one stopped working after a couple of months, but not due to how it was stored. A replacement was sent.

Siope Sun 04-Feb-24 21:38:09

I store ours loosely folded into the bag the came in, then tucked away in a drawer. They still work perfectly.

tanith Sun 04-Feb-24 22:29:13

Not a throw but I have a dreamland under blanket. I’ve had it 7 yrs and it’s been washed in the machine lots of times it’s also folded and stored in the bag it came in for the Summer. It still works fine and there’s not much difference between that and a heated throw.

cornergran Sun 04-Feb-24 22:44:04

Mine is simply dropped into a sort of storage pouffe. Not particularly folded or rolled, just dropped in. It’s fine, currently on winter five. I think they are pretty robust. There are washing instructions with mine, it’s necessary to detach the controller and lead. Washed in the spring and line dried, no problems so far 🤞.

DollyRocker Sun 04-Feb-24 22:55:13

I had to get another one as the original one failed after a gentle wash in a pillow case. I'm worried about washing the new one & it's starting to smell a bit funky! I store them loosely folded.

mumofmadboys Sun 04-Feb-24 23:30:31

I washed my son's and tied a sock around the electric socket bit, secured by an elastic band. It was my son's suggestion to save the electric bit getting bashed around.

Mizuna Mon 05-Feb-24 00:38:07

1summer

I bought mine 18 months ago and last summer I put it away in the bag it came in.I have noticed this winter I have one or two cold spots, I did wonder if the wires have broken in those areas.
Mine is washable but haven’t done so yet.

I have one that I bought six years ago. I store it lightly folded lengthwise and then rolled. It works perfectly. The instructions boast 'Intel heat' which means that it only heats up where it lies on your body, so maybe yours is similar and would explain the cold spots?

TurtleDove Mon 05-Feb-24 00:43:44

I always folded mine and put it away in the bag it came in and they were always ok. I suppose rolling them won't matter either way in fact you may get more space in the cupboard if they are rolled up and not folded as you don't want to pile things on top of a flat folded one either as that will damage the wires.

Katiejxx Sat 10-Feb-24 11:05:29

Thanks very much everyone for all your advice, will be using these tips, most of all will not fold up tightly! 🙏😊

annodomini Sat 10-Feb-24 11:17:01

I use my heated throw to keep my legs warm while I'm sitting on my reclining chair. At the moment, it's loosely folded over the back of the sofa and looks decidedly untidy.