Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Arthritis in knee

(25 Posts)
Bicycle1 Fri 09-Feb-24 18:28:19

Has anyone used knee support for painful knee , as advertised on fb etc , were they helpful or any other tips

25Avalon Fri 09-Feb-24 18:37:43

I’ve used a support when I’ve twisted my knee and been unable to walk without it. It did help support the knee but not sure how good it would be for arthritis.

For arthritis I use Felexiseq. It’s a gel you apply either side of and ar the back of your knees, leave on for 10 minutes and it gets absorbed to lubricate the joints. I had very creaky knees and could hardly get up out of a chair. After a couple of weeks I found I was mobile again.

cornergran Fri 09-Feb-24 18:44:17

My experience was and is the opposite. A support made and makes arthritis pain far worse. Chatting with the surgeon who operated on my right knee he said his view was it’s always worth trying and it’s a bit of a lottery whether they help or not. The left knee is now painful and again I’ve found a support unhelpful. We are of course all different. If you do want to try one I’d suggest the sort with Velcro straps as tightness can be adjusted to suit you.

Perhaps have a look at the hips and knees thread bicycle. Sorry I can’t do a link but if you check the health forum you’ll see it listed. Lots of information and support of a different kind there.

Gwyllt Fri 09-Feb-24 19:01:31

As there are different types of knee brace it might be worth asking a physio opinion as to one that might help
If you can look at yourself walking if you are a bit knock kneed I found an arch support helped My knees ached when I was rehabbing my two hips and an arch support helped and approved of by my physio while I built up the muscles

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 19:01:50

Thanks for that tip Avalon. I have had arthritis in my knees since I was 21 but one knee has become very painful lately. I don’t want surgery unless it’s essential.

crazyH Fri 09-Feb-24 19:12:54

I would agree with the poster who said that the knee support made it worse. Same here. I have a bad right knee. I just take anti-inflammatories at night - or if I know I’ve got an ‘active’ day ahead ie ‘walking’ 😂

Charleygirl5 Fri 09-Feb-24 19:40:06

GMS I do agree with you but do not leave it as long as I did for a TKR. I ended up having a tibial osteotomy as well because my lower leg was beginning to bow. The wait for surgery did not help.

teabagwoman Fri 09-Feb-24 20:18:36

My physio advised that it was worth trying a support if I needed to be particularly active but only to use it occasionally as it’s better to strengthen the muscles around the knee.

25Avalon Fri 09-Feb-24 21:06:29

The name is Flexiseq. Give it a try for a couple of weeks.

Bicycle1 Fri 09-Feb-24 22:18:11

Thank you everyone for feedback 😊

annodomini Fri 09-Feb-24 22:50:49

I think Flexiseq might be the answer for me too. There seem to be two strengths: Flexiseq and Fflexiseq Max. Which would you recomment?

grannyactivist Fri 09-Feb-24 23:04:13

I’ve been waiting since September to see an NHS physiotherapist, so in the meantime I have personal trainer who comes every week and we do knee strengthening exercises. I also use a vibration plate to help strengthen my knees. My GP did arrange an appointment for me to have a steroid injection, but I cancelled it and declined to try the knee exercises instead.

LucyAnna Sat 10-Feb-24 07:27:31

annodomini

I think Flexiseq might be the answer for me too. There seem to be two strengths: Flexiseq and Fflexiseq Max. Which would you recomment?

I have used Flexiseq as and when my knees have been stiff and achey. My son in law is a surgeon and recommends gentle exercise as much as possible, with surgery a last resort.

25Avalon Sat 10-Feb-24 09:17:34

I use the lesser strength one at the moment as I am still active walking the dog. It did take a couple of weeks to feel the effects. It was recommended ito me by an acquaintance who had bad arthritis in her hands and found the maximum strength one really worked for her, again after a couple of weeks.

Visgir1 Sat 10-Feb-24 09:18:47

See if anything works for you , but after trying most things the only things that works is a Total Knee replacement. I had one 18 months ago, more painful that Hip replacement (both of my hips done) but if offered take it.

Farzanah Sat 10-Feb-24 10:10:55

I have looked up the evidence for Flexiseq on “Versus Arthritis” and the results are equivocal, I’m nerdy like that, but I do like a safety profile and evidence base before I use, and spend money.

I have had arthritis in knees since adolescence and mainly use ibruprofen gel and take paracetamol before I do a reasonable walk twice a week, and exercises to strengthen muscles which support knee. I may try Flexiseq for a few weeks as it contains no drugs apparently.

LucyAnna Sat 10-Feb-24 13:34:31

Farzanah

I have looked up the evidence for Flexiseq on “Versus Arthritis” and the results are equivocal, I’m nerdy like that, but I do like a safety profile and evidence base before I use, and spend money.

I have had arthritis in knees since adolescence and mainly use ibruprofen gel and take paracetamol before I do a reasonable walk twice a week, and exercises to strengthen muscles which support knee. I may try Flexiseq for a few weeks as it contains no drugs apparently.

I can’t use Ibuprofen gel as I have heart problems.

ronib Sat 10-Feb-24 13:45:03

My friend 88 years old is no longer able to walk far without a walking frame. Her hip replacement is okay but knee replacement at a private hospital has not worked at all.
Another friend has problems with her knee replacement and is finding life very difficult as the skin around her scars is a problem. Also private healthcare. This happened 3 to 4 months after surgery.
I presume most knee replacements are more successful?

Norah Sat 10-Feb-24 14:14:36

ronib

My friend 88 years old is no longer able to walk far without a walking frame. Her hip replacement is okay but knee replacement at a private hospital has not worked at all.
Another friend has problems with her knee replacement and is finding life very difficult as the skin around her scars is a problem. Also private healthcare. This happened 3 to 4 months after surgery.
I presume most knee replacements are more successful?

My guess, after my 2 TKR, not enough physiotherapy. Four months per knee (3x a week) was what worked quite well, for me.

Madgran77 Sat 10-Feb-24 20:55:50

Thuasne knee supports are specifically for osteoarthritis. Developed by orthopaedic surgeons and physiotherapists. Available on prescription in some health areas. Expensive but well worth it

Birthto110 Sat 10-Feb-24 23:53:02

I am recovering from a TKR and so far it's okay - eight /nine weeks in. The knee feels stronger as if it can only now get better. It will take a few more months probably to settle fully.
Also had problems with the other one - and that was sorted out by a steroid injection which worked miracles - it really was an instant fix about 2 and half years ago.

Nannytopsy Sun 11-Feb-24 09:29:49

A TKR is due within the next few weeks but I have arthritis in the hip on the opposite side too. Does anyone else find that they are exhausted with arthritis? I wonder if it’s the combination of pain and the extra effort walking involves?

Allsorts Sun 11-Feb-24 15:08:41

I don’t want an operation but my knee as well as hip are painful most of the time, I walk each day but the pain the next day is worse than every ivealkbtoo far. People say walk through tge pain but I can’t.

NanaTuesday Thu 22-Feb-24 22:31:44

crazyH
I do the same with anti inflammatory meds , I have found the best to be Flarin which have a better result . My husband almost brought me some Magnesium Cream that I use at night if I need it . But tbh I had my 3rd steroid injection 5/01 on my right knee & fingers crossed 🤞 it’s faring better .

cornergran Thu 22-Feb-24 22:57:21

A TKR on my right knee two and a half years ago has been very successful. This was carried out by an NHS surgeon using space in a private hospital. It was aching a few months ago. An x-ray ordered by the surgery physio confirmed the prosthetic was still firmly in place. We guessed soft tissue damage, it’s now a lot better. Even with the recent aches it is so much better than pre surgery. My leg was bent, pain in every movement whether sitting, standing or walking. I’m so pleased I agreed to the surgery.

A steroid injection in my left knee five weeks ago has worked wonders. Long may it last.

Next step is to ease the pain in a thumb. Physio said trigger thumb, pushed a joint and I shot off the bed. We’re going to try steroid in there once I’m a couple of months past the knee injection. She’s wary of overloading the body with cortisone.

I do think we’re very fortunate to have physios attached to our GP practice. While I mutter about the travelling needed, it’s a huge group practice, the benefits of easy access to an NHS physio far outnumber the inconvenience.

Good luck everyone, arthritis is so painful.