Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Does anyone volunteer with overseas aid ?

(8 Posts)
Birthto110 Thu 15-Feb-24 19:21:39

With all the conflicts going on in the world, does anyone find ways of volunteering or providing aid - or maybe even travelled to help with food and supplies and medical equipment on the ground?

eazybee Thu 15-Feb-24 19:29:05

My next-door neighbour (ex-army) drives supply vehicles regularly to Ukraine.

Birthto110 Thu 15-Feb-24 22:45:45

eazybee - I wonder who he works with or whether does it as a lone initiative . At the moment due to employment it's not the time for me to travel anywhere, but would be interesting to know which organisations people volunteer with, or support remotely. It's something to do in five years time. Goodness only knows what conflicts will be ongoing and where help might be needed.

loopyloo Fri 16-Feb-24 07:33:55

Will watch this thread carefully.
Would love to be able to help.

NotSpaghetti Fri 16-Feb-24 09:38:38

I have given to "on the ground" charities and Médecins Sans Frontières
msf.org.uk/

I think that's best really. They know what they want.
In the past I've given actual goods and contributions to fuel etc and fundraised.

Gin Fri 16-Feb-24 11:20:13

In our village we have continuous collections by three dedicated volunteers for Ukraine and then they join forces with other groups to send lorries to be distributed in Ukraine. A friend has driven the lorries on several occasions but he is a little concerned about the distribution being fair when the goods are handed over.

SeaWoozle Fri 16-Feb-24 11:31:35

Birthto110

With all the conflicts going on in the world, does anyone find ways of volunteering or providing aid - or maybe even travelled to help with food and supplies and medical equipment on the ground?

If you're on FB or Nextdoor you can very often find local groups who are taking aid overseas. I was (and still trying to be!) an active member of various refugee groups and volunteered in The Jungle for a week. (No Reformers need come at me, thanks!) Or ask in the local library? Good luck. Your support is always appreciated 🤗

Birthto110 Sun 18-Feb-24 22:01:04

SeaWoozle - thank you -my daughter spent some time working in Care for Calais and she has been an inspiration. Hope you're getting support in your work. So many people struggling and yet many people who would normally support initiatives on the ground - abroad and in the UK - are probably struggling more themselves, more than ever before. It's horrendous to think what people are going through.