Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Problems After Gallbladder Removal

(17 Posts)
Welshnana23 Sat 24-Feb-24 11:52:48

I am due to have my gallbladder removed in a few weeks due to polyps which were found when I was being checked out for something else. I have been researching the side effects of living without a gallbladder and it seems from a lot of the chat rooms and forums that a lot of people have on going digestive issues. There is also a lot of talk mobile salts, digestive enzymes and vitamin deficiencies and weight gain. Would be good to know if there Is anyone out there who has had this procedure and has not had any issues as am becoming quite anxious.

Lizzies Sat 24-Feb-24 11:58:49

I had my gallbladder removed 15 years ago and I have had no issues with digestion or anything else. I admit that I don’t have the healthiest diet, but I’m feeling fit and have no other problems.

Mamissimo Sat 24-Feb-24 12:01:57

I had mine removed about three years ago and haven't looked back. I had it removed because gallstones were blocking the bile duct and the pain from that was horrendous. I had the wonderful keyhole op and was pain free from the surgery. I think everyone reacts differently as we all have different biomes but the only very minor issue I have had is that food with a lot of tomato or fat seems to pass through me very quickly. I can live with that....but I couldn't have gone on living with gall bladder pain! Good luck, take it gently and you'll soon learn what works for you.

NotAGran55 Sat 24-Feb-24 12:08:57

I had mine removed by keyhole surgery just over 2 years ago because I had one single stone that measured 4cm across.

The recovery was very quick - operation was on a Tuesday afternoon and I was easily doing desk-bound work on Friday, with no heavy lifting for 4 weeks.
I was given paracetamol to take home but didn’t need any.
No stitches or dressings on the wounds, just glue which dried up and fell off.

I’ve had no issues at all since then.

Good luck with your operation.

silverlining48 Sat 24-Feb-24 12:13:55

I had my gallbladder removed come 4 years ago. I always had gut problems before the operation but nothing has changed and I haven’t had a problem.
I think people who join these groups are understandably those with problems, there will many others who are perfectly fine and don’t.
Since the operation I haven’t had any pain. Good luck, don’t worry.

Cossy Sat 24-Feb-24 12:21:43

Mamissimo

I had mine removed about three years ago and haven't looked back. I had it removed because gallstones were blocking the bile duct and the pain from that was horrendous. I had the wonderful keyhole op and was pain free from the surgery. I think everyone reacts differently as we all have different biomes but the only very minor issue I have had is that food with a lot of tomato or fat seems to pass through me very quickly. I can live with that....but I couldn't have gone on living with gall bladder pain! Good luck, take it gently and you'll soon learn what works for you.

I too had my gallbladder removed, a stone passed and lodged somewhere causing pancreatitis. I was very unwell. The gallbladder removal was eventually done 5 days after admission and was keyhole, almost painless and good recovery.

I have been left with slightly worse digestive issues than I had before but I already had IBS and Diverticular issues so really not much difference.

Good luck smile

Siope Sat 24-Feb-24 12:24:10

Had mine removed in 2021 because I suddenly developed acute acalculous cholecystitis. I’ve been absolutely fine, no side-effects of any kind.

Glorianny Sat 24-Feb-24 12:29:49

My mum had hers removed in her 60s. It took 2 operations because the stones were so bad the surgeon could only remove them the first time, she went back a year later to have her gall bladder removed. She lived to be 94 and ate just about anything.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Feb-24 12:37:11

Yes I echo what everyone has said. I had it done before Christmas. I was impressed with the professionalism and kindness shown and have not felt so well in years!

I have put on 3lbs though - something to do with enjoying all the Christmas food!

Dylis Sat 24-Feb-24 12:44:47

I had mine removed about 5 years ago. I almost skipped into surgery because I was so desperate to have the wretched thing removed. My diet was restricted to totally fat free to avoid excruciating painful gallbladder attacks. I looked and felt dreadful.
I also looked at forums before my op and some of the stories were pretty awful. I asked my surgeon and she pointed out that you seldom hear the success stories because people are getting on with their lives.
Soon after my op I tucked into a lasagne, ice cream and a large cream cake (with my fingers firmly crossed). Everything was absolutely fine and I no longer have to examine everything I eat for traces of fat. You will be fine!

Labradora Sat 24-Feb-24 12:46:14

Hi Welshnana23
I had my gallbladder removed endoscopically in 2020.
First thing to say different people have different experiences ; I can only tell you about mine.
Secondly I had suffered from gall bladder disease for the previous year to 18 months including one gallbladder attack that lasted five hours.
My gallbladder removal literally gave me my life back and I have never looked back.
The disease, which meant that I couldn't digest fat , caused me to lose three stone but I was overweight.Yes I have regained one stone and a quarter now that I can eat normally again ,but I am still at a reasonable weight for my build and height rather than overweight.
It took me about a week to get over the operation and I was "sore" rather than in pain.
My system was a bit "fat-sensitive" for some months after the operation which meant that full-fat cream meant a trip to the loo fairly urgently but that settled down within months.
I have a little more indigestion than I used to have but nothing serious. I don't follow a diet that excludes anything but I have helped myself by eating overall less fatty stuff and drinking in moderation;
Let me know if you would like the name of my surgeon. He does "private" as well as NHS so if you would want to go that route I can recommend him.
The operation itself took 2 and a half hours I think but I had adhesions from previous surgery that made it a longer op. Endoscopical gallbladder removal can be done a little more quickly if I remember rightly.
Naturally I don't remember a thing from the op itself. I was in and out of hospital in 24 hours.
Nothing to be afraid of. You will be fine.
The only scar from the op is a fading red line about an inch long on my upper midriff. You can barely see it.

anna7 Sat 24-Feb-24 12:52:35

I had my gallbladder removed over 40 years ago, before keyhole surgery. I have been absolutely fine ever since. I can eat anything with no ill effects whatsoever. Good luck. I am sure you will be fine.

Sparklefizz Sat 24-Feb-24 14:03:49

I still have my gallbladder but I have suffered for 20+ years with a condition called Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) whereby the pancreas stops making digestive enzymes, thus causing a lot of gut and food problems.

I run an online EPI support group and many of our members have developed EPI after gallbladder surgery, causing some of the symptoms you mention Welshnana

I'm not saying this to scare you, but just to make you aware and if you find after surgery that you are having the problems you mention, push for a diagnosis (a Faecal Elastase Test is needed - it's just a stool test) because you can be prescribed replacement enzymes to deal with the symptoms. There's no need to put up with any of it.

Good luck with your surgery. flowers

DamaskRose Sat 24-Feb-24 14:18:41

DH had her gallbladder removed last year and unfortunately is one of the unlucky ones and still has quite bad digestive problems. I think a lot depends on the exact reason for the removal and what underlying issues you have. Good luck OP.

Kim19 Sat 24-Feb-24 14:32:31

I had my gallbladder removed before keyhole surgery was used. No problem whatsoever other than the mending process which was straightforward but fragile. Not had a singled digestive issue since.

Septimia Sat 24-Feb-24 15:25:30

I had the full operation in my 50s because they couldn't get my gallstones out any other way! They'd been there since I was in my late teens, wrongly diagnosed as nervous dyspepsia (I was considered too young for gallstones). The relief from pain, despite the longer recovery period, made the op worthwhile.

I do still make stones - probably I should be more careful with my diet - but they pass through quickly instead of getting stuck. They cause a few moments of pain but that's nothing compared with the hours of agony I suffered before, on and off over many years.

I still have some digestive problems - tomato and citrus fruit don't suit me - but they're mainly due to a hiatus hernia, I think.

Welshnana23 Sun 25-Feb-24 14:27:51

Thank you all for your responses I am feeling far more positive now.