Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hand on knee assault

(7 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 04-Oct-17 20:27:15

Am I missing something here? A man has been found guilty of assault for placing his hand on a woman's knee for two or three minutes during a party game. The man's partner was present and the woman whose knee it was didn't ask him to remove his hand at the time. The initial charge was for sexual assault, but the chap in question pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of assault. confused
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-41503393

Beau Wed 04-Oct-17 20:38:54

Former director of GCHQ and an OBE too - I feel really sorry for him. What kind of woman would report that as sexual assault during a game of Truth or Dare when they were all drinking at a party?

Iam64 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:51:45

I suppose the other question is what kind of people get involved in this kind of childish behaviour? I imagine this is another of those cases, like the one about the young medical student at Oxford, that if we knew all the facts we may see in a slightly different light.

Baggs Wed 04-Oct-17 21:59:05

If you are missing something, ga, I'm missing it too. Sounds a bit like expecting to play rugby but never to get bumped into during a game.

vampirequeen Wed 04-Oct-17 22:57:18

What a waste of court time and money.

grannyactivist Wed 04-Oct-17 22:58:07

Thank goodness Baggs - I've read and re-read several accounts, but it really does seem to be as simple as it seems. Even at fourteen years old, as a very shy teenager, when a man I babysat for took me home in his car and put his hand on my knee, I said nothing, but simply removed it.

maryeliza54 Wed 04-Oct-17 23:01:23

Sometimes it does beggar belief as to the decisions the CPS make but I do agree with Iam I wonder what is really going on.