Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Crushed minted peas.......

(15 Posts)
kittylester Fri 22-Jun-18 10:23:09

are currently a favourite in the Lester household but all the recipes I can find are too complicated - thaw peas, gently fry a shallot, add marjoram, mint etc etc.

Has any one got a quick and easy recipe? Currently I microwave petit pois, mash a bit and add butter, pepper and chopped mint.

Any better ideas?

J52 Fri 22-Jun-18 10:27:32

I love these and am so pleased that some restaurants do them this way rather than the trad. ones ( which I hate!).

oldgoat Fri 22-Jun-18 11:17:23

1. Open a tin of mushy peas and decant into a saucepan.
2. Add a large dollop of mint jelly.
3.Stir, then warm gently.

Yum,yum!

Fennel Fri 22-Jun-18 11:59:35

I was going to mention a recipe like yours, Oldgoat. I love mushy peas. And pease pudding.
It can also be made from scratch with dried split green peas, but takes ages.

kittylester Fri 22-Jun-18 12:05:11

No, no, no! Hate mushy peas! But mint jeyy is a thought! hmm

gillybob Fri 22-Jun-18 12:08:55

My favourite recipe ( off the top of my head ) is:

Make up a very small amount of chicken stock using a stock cube. Use this to boil some frozen peas allowing the peas to soak up the stock. Add a dollop of butter and as much chopped fresh mint as you like. Blitz with a blender ( I use the hand one I have had since my children were small ) perfect every time !

kittylester Fri 22-Jun-18 12:18:59

I must apologise for my blessed phone. I had to take it back to factory settings and it is paying me back.

Mint jelly sounds good

Fennel Fri 22-Jun-18 12:54:04

I must mention something where british veg. really wins over french - the frozen peas.
I had stopped buying them in France as they ('petit pois) were like small pieces of grit. But the Birdseye frozen peas here are delicious. We're still enjoying them au naturel, as a treat.

MawBroon Fri 22-Jun-18 12:59:57

1. Open a tin of mushy peas and decant into a saucepan.
2. Add a large dollop of mint jelly
3.Stir, then warm gently

And if your name is Peter Mandelson remember to exclaim over the presence of Guacamole grin

Juggernaut Fri 22-Jun-18 13:11:46

Kitty
I just boil garden peas, drain, pop in a bit of butter, some mint jelly, whizz with a hand held blender, or smash them with a potato masher, easy 'peasy'.....sorry, couldn't stop myself!
Maw
I'd forgotten about the Mandelson Guacamole incident, thanks for reminding me, tee hee heegrin

kittylester Fri 22-Jun-18 13:15:35

Fish in tarragon bread crumbs, twice cooked chips and guacamole - way to go.

annodomini Fri 22-Jun-18 13:27:27

My pea and mint soup usually ends up thick enough to qualify as mushy minted peas.

DanniRae Fri 22-Jun-18 14:00:56

I LOVE Birds Eye Frozen peas cooked and then just as they are - I remember when my mum used to cook fresh peas (and I had helped shell them) they were like little bullets. But I liked eating them as they came out of the pod - a happy childhood memory smile

cavewoman Fri 22-Jun-18 14:19:37

Mmm, minted peas. Try them with garlic butter.

hildajenniJ Fri 22-Jun-18 18:06:20

I've just got home from Woolfest at Cockermouth. Don't worry, I'm getting to the minted peas!? We went to the food tent and bought a flat bread served with green salad leaves, pulled lamb, hummus, minted green pea falafels and a tahini dressing. The falafels were the best thing about the whole ensemble.
I love peas with mint.