Cats!!

Newquay Wed 20-May-20 08:12:58

Morning all. We have a lovely garden, DH is a talented gardener and he grows veg as well as other magnificent plants. We’ve lived here a long time, lovely neighbours. A few years ago next door neighbour sadly died and house is now occupied by their daughter. We were supportive during her parents last few years. DH used to look after their (even larger) garden too til it became too much for him so he arranged someone else to take over. All in the gardens rosy. . .however daughter has taken to rescuing animals. At the last count there are 5 cats and 3 dogs. Neighbours all around are as fed up as we are especially with cats who, of course, poo everywhere-and fight! We’ve tried everything to discourage them; laid holly or netting over soil we’ve turned over before planting and used Jeyes fluid too-so garden smells like a public toilet. At least better than poo smell-covered in bluebottles too! DH has now built a cage to surround veg plot-do hope it works. Neighbour is isolating herself-especially at the mo-try to shout hello and ask if she’s ok, if she needs any help (we used to get on much better!) but she’s very defensive and becoming more and more eccentric. Rant over-any ideas?

Wibby Thu 21-May-20 09:08:00

My late husband raced pigeons so they were always bothered by cats, he always put mothballs around the loft to keep the cats away and it worked.

HAZBEEN Thu 21-May-20 10:06:46

Dont use Jeyes Fluid. Cats especially undoctored toms will try to scent mark over it!Its something to do the smell. Try citrus essential oils sprinkled around, it last a long time and most cats but not all hate lemon and orange swells.

Newquay Sat 23-May-20 05:10:18

Thanks-I thought this hadn’t posted! Will definitely get some mothballs-suppose Amazon at the mo?!-and citrus oils too. I have an orange most days, had forgotten about that too. The Jeyes fluid doesn’t seem to make a big difference-except in the smell. The morning routine is I gather the poo-usually only one now, thank goodness-on a hand trowel using a hand fork then throw it over the fence between us onto neighbour’s path which she seems to sweep. I figure that way it gets cleaned away. I’m sad our relationship is not going well all cos of these cats. Am concerned for her, alone, increasingly eccentric. A hoarder although tidy enough in her huge garden, all so sad.

gillybob Sat 23-May-20 06:05:55

We have the same problem. Although my garden is not what I would describe as “lovely” I do try my best and it’s one of the very few “real” gardens around where I live.

Next door has a huge, sly cat . It sits on the fence waiting to pounce on the poor unsuspecting birds in my little tree or on the bird table. It sh*ts all over my planting areas so I have to be really careful where I tread . Picking it up every morning on a shovel I am so tempted to give it back to the rightful owners .

It wails and screams during the night and the sound of it fighting with other local cats is almost frightening . Of course it’s owners are oblivious . It doesn’t sh*t in their paved paradise and they must wear earplugs at night .

Chewbacca Sat 23-May-20 06:08:06

My neighbours, on both sides of me, dislike cats entering their garden and have installed sensors that emit a high pitched sound that's inaudible to humans but cats dislike it apparently. They've both said that it's stopped any cats coming onto their property. Personally, I love cats, although I havent got one at the moment but these seem to be a humane deterrent.

Check out "Solar Sonic Cat Defenders" at Arg*s; they're about £15.00 each.

gillybob Sat 23-May-20 06:15:28

I’ve got 2 in my back and 2 in my front chewy . My back garden is a strange shape. It was very sloping when we moved in but we have created a sort of 2 tier garden making it quite hard for the cat scarers to cover the entire area. I have watched the cat (it’s pretty clever) walk around the garden as to avoid Catching the sensors . Moving them is fruitless as the horrible cat just negotiates it’s way around and changes it places to do it’s business. I’ve tried orange peel, coffee grounds , pepper, sonic cat scarers ......... I wanted to put some of those plastic spikes in the fence top but my neighbour said not on her side as it would stop the cat from sitting on the fence ......well yes that was the general idea .