Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Amusing stories about older people

(6 Posts)
Kaimoana Sat 25-Sep-21 01:51:14

That got your attention didn't it!? grin

I'd like to read anecdotes which may amuse, surprise or uplift, particularly about the strength and enduring humour of older people and what kept us/them going.

Funny or wise stories from your own lives; something your Mum, Dad or grandparents may have said or done.

Nothing which demeans elders or makes them/us the butt of jokes, just quirks and odd traditions (my grandma put potatoes in her shoes every night to stop her getting corns).

The stage is yours......

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:28:29

My MIL swore blind that egg shells gave you warts!! She wasn’t clear whether you had to eat them, or just handle them, but either way, it gave us a good laugh. The funny thing was....she ate loads of eggs. It used to surprise us, because we would expected her to give them a wide berth?.

MissAdventure Mon 27-Sep-21 16:31:14

youtube.com/shorts/MeULwCPj8lg?feature=share

Keeper1 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:31:43

My gran always said it was the white of an egg that could give you warts so always be sure to wash any that got on your hands.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 27-Sep-21 16:33:11

Keeper1

My gran always said it was the white of an egg that could give you warts so always be sure to wash any that got on your hands.

Mmmmm.....is your granny and my MIL one and the same ??

AGAA4 Mon 27-Sep-21 17:12:38

I remember my Great Aunt saying in a shocked voice when I told her I was taking GCEs " you don't want to be a career girl do you?"