Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Granddaughter can’t take a ‘wee in the woods’

(48 Posts)
Sasta Fri 20-May-22 10:16:55

We didn’t have this issue with our children as we were always out exploring and they’d happily have a wee outdoors so long as it was a secluded private spot. We had to travel home for the loo recently (45 mins) after being at our destination for just five minutes as our granddaughter (5) will not consider a wee outdoors. It was such a shame as she was really enjoying herself otherwise and it was too far to go back after she’d ‘been’. This will trap us to staying close to home which is a shame. Her parents take her to children’s park areas but not the countryside. Has anybody else negotiated this successfully?

Jaxjacky Fri 20-May-22 10:30:18

You could show her yourself?

Granny23 Fri 20-May-22 10:31:15

One of our DDs was like this as a child. Many picnics were spoiled by her refusal to 'go' outdoors. We eventually solved the problem by taking a large potty with us. She was OK about using this in or behind the car. To this day she will not or cannot pee outdoors, but now she can drive herself to the nearest public facilities and back without disturbing the rest of the family.

Farmor15 Fri 20-May-22 10:34:02

I have the opposite with 3 year old GD. She seems quite happy to pull down pants and go anywhere - she lives in rural area - I think she knows not to do it in town! Last time I was with her we were in a wooded play area and she wanted to do more than a wee and was quite happy to do it - lots of dead leaves to cover with. Unfortunately I had no tissue with me, so had to use leaves to wipe her! All very natural.

Maybe others have ideas for Sasta. If a solution is not found it can make it difficult if she wants to take part in outdoor activities, hiking etc.

Aldom Fri 20-May-22 10:39:06

My daughter is 54, but when she was a child I had a portable Tommy Tippee jug for use in the moving car. Possibly something similar, used standing up, would solve the problem.

wildswan16 Fri 20-May-22 10:40:37

Will the little girl go if you had a collapsible potty with you? Or is it that she won't go out of doors at all?

There are many versions of travel potties which a 3 year old could use and that collapse down so you can take them when walking etc.

Maybe you could make it her "very own special" toilet for exciting outings.

Aldom Fri 20-May-22 10:41:38

PS. You might want to get your granddaughter used to using a lidded wee,wee jug, for little girls while still at home.

Nell8 Fri 20-May-22 10:44:04

I can sympathise with the little girl! I went off into the woods on a National Trust estate to have a quiet pee. I forgot I was wearing a lurid cagoule. Two blokes stopped to peer at me through the undergrowth just as I reached the point of "can't stop now".

Would it be worth taking along a couple of little friends who don't have the same shyness? I guess you'd have to engineer lots of synchronised drinks beforehand.

Yammy Fri 20-May-22 10:47:05

I was a bit like this myself I have been told, drives in the country were spoiled by having to find a pub or something similar.
We lived beside the sea and mum solved it by taking me to sit in the shallows and I relaxed. Not approved of these days water pollution but she let me see it was natural.
One DD was the same and we had a potty bag to take everywhere until on holiday we forgot it and she wet herself in fact drenched herself shoes, socks, pants the back of her dress she learned that it was easier to go behind a tree.
Maybe you need to let her have an accident somewhere it doesn't matter and she will see the necessity for using what nature provides.blush

MissAdventure Fri 20-May-22 10:48:27

Hmmmm....

Sussexborn Fri 20-May-22 10:51:27

Would it be worth trying a shewee. She’d probably need to practice or have it explained to her before your next adventure.

Sasta Fri 20-May-22 11:02:42

Thank you all for these suggestions. I said I’d ‘go’ first but she wasn’t having any of it. I don’t think a potty would do the trick, I think her issue is intense privacy needed. I will try a potty though and look into the shewee. She’s convinced somebody will see her even though we were the only people for miles, and just sheep in the next field, I said they were not interested in us. I’d love a solution as she loves coming out with us.

PaperMonster Fri 20-May-22 11:27:55

I hate weeing outdoors and will avoid it at all costs. I was going to suggest a SheWee but that won’t work if it’s the privacy aspect.

Elizabeth27 Fri 20-May-22 11:42:00

Why don't you tell her to go before you leave the house?

Sara1954 Fri 20-May-22 11:48:43

One of my granddaughters is like this, she’s twelve now, and is still incredibly fussy about where she wees, on the plus side, she seems to have amazing bladder control.

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 20-May-22 12:00:09

I think she's right !

Sago Fri 20-May-22 12:04:47

I had this problem as a child, only in the past couple of years as a keen walker I have overcome my phobia.

It came on as a result of my older brother, a bully, not allowing me privacy and my parents finding it amusing.

pandapatch Fri 20-May-22 12:39:37

My little grandson (now nearly 4) was like this. Then my OH hit on the idea of a "wee tree". He identifies a likely tree and declares it to be a "wee tree"!! Grandson now takes great pleasure in asking grandad if a tree is a "Wee tree" and when grandad confirms that it is, happily does a wee!!!

silverlining48 Fri 20-May-22 12:52:05

It’s much easier fir boys.
I am in my 70 s and don’t think I have ever peed outdoors and only use public toilets if I really have to; luckily seem to have a cast iron bladder.
Despite drinking water, even if at home, I can go fir 6 or 7 hours between trips to the loo.

Hithere Fri 20-May-22 13:26:15

Where do her parents stand on this? Do that.

We have an IKEA little potty in the trunk just in case - it came handy so many times

Just because your kids A, B and C doesnt mean your gd has to do it too.

Please pick your battles wisely - enjoy your family's company

Hithere Fri 20-May-22 13:26:56

Your kids did A, B and C

Septimia Fri 20-May-22 13:34:39

When I was a child we always took a potty with us. Even my mum used it. We sat in the car and, if necessary, put a newpaper or magazine across our laps and pretended to read it! I carried on using that technique when I was adult and doing a lot of fieldwork in remote places.

HettyBetty Fri 20-May-22 13:42:22

Practice in a corner of the garden.

Nannagarra Fri 20-May-22 14:14:41

Maybe a thin, fold-in-a-pocket jacket worn while she goes would give her some privacy. I’ve noticed camouflage seems to be quite fashionable this year and would be perfect for a ‘countryside wee’.

Sasta Fri 20-May-22 14:34:38

Forgot to check if she’d been before leaving, won’t be making that mistake again! She sleeps all night for 12 hours, then doesn’t even go on waking, she usually goes after breakfast, so great capacity. Need to be more mindful pre trips of course. I had an older brother Sago, some can be real meanies thinking it’s great fun!