Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Next door's tumble dryer

(12 Posts)
nahsma Sun 14-Aug-22 12:13:35

My neighbours are lovely people and generally thoughtful and kind. But…. I'm sitting on the patio with coffee and newspaper and all I can smell is that stuff you put in tumble dryers to make things smell “nice”. Again. It's the only thing I can smell out here just about every time I sit out as their dryer is in what used to be the outside toilet, so rather close. There are five kids next door (tots to teen, all charming and polite) so I realise there's lots of washing, but they never seem to use their washing line (that may change when prices go up again, I guess). I don't think they notice as they seem only to be in the garden quite rarely. I'm fed up with the smell - it totally masks the very scented roses I chose to plant around my sitting area. Don't think there's anything to be done as they are nice neighbours, but the rant has got it off my chest!

Elizabeth27 Sun 14-Aug-22 12:23:30

I find it rather odd when people use the dryer sheets called fresh linen, they smell awful and mask the smell of the actual fresh linen.

sodapop Sun 14-Aug-22 12:28:39

I don't like them much either but in the grand scheme of things it's not worth any upset. The family sound like they are good neighbours and caring for five children is hard work. I would just live with this minor annoyance.

nahsma Sun 14-Aug-22 12:40:01

sodapop Absolutely, real 'first-world' problem! I'm not going to say/do anything. I've got it off my chest, thank you.

MerylStreep Sun 14-Aug-22 12:42:23

nahsma
I’d swop your problem in a heartbeat with mine.
Lovely next door neighbours had an extension built which obviously ( from the noise) required moving the washing machine.
I would mind once a day at a reasonable time but there are at least 3 washes a day. Just this week the last wash was at 11.30 PM and then on again at 06.30 AM.
I don’t know how they sleep with it.
I’m sorely tempted to put mine on one night. Mine abuts the joining wall.

Lathyrus Sun 14-Aug-22 12:44:50

Yes, where I used to live my neighbours cooked spicy aromatic food everyday. I had to close my windows often.

But they were the best neighbours ever so I just let it go.

Plus they did quite often share with the old lady next door!

DaisyAnne Sun 14-Aug-22 12:49:16

Can't you just count your blessings nahsma. We could still be living in the days where two adults and five children had to use the outside toilet as there only toilet.

Golddustwoman Sun 14-Aug-22 18:39:46

are you pregnant?

MerylStreep Sun 14-Aug-22 18:43:00

My daughter lives next door to a lovely Hindu family. We love the smell of their cooking.
They always invite us in at festival time.

Mine Sun 14-Aug-22 20:31:34

Live and let live springs to mind..NAHSMA....Its not as if you are living next to a sewerage or have terrible neighbours like some poor people.....Your complaining about a lovely smell of clean washing....confused

NanKate Sun 14-Aug-22 21:32:45

We have an end of terrace house so don’t hear much from next door. Our new neighbours are a lovely young family.

Our kitchen is next to their living room. My DH is an owl and is often in the kitchen midnight to 1.00 am. He always sorts out the kitchen then putting away utensils etc.

Recently we got a very apologetic phone text from them saying the noise of DH disturbed them at night as they went to bed at 10.00 and often were woken up by DH’s clattering.

We had no idea that we (well DH really) were causing such a problem. DH apologised and has been quiet as a mouse ? since then.

Mandrake Sun 14-Aug-22 22:38:08

I have one of those, NanKate. I don't know how he manages to make so much noise with that sort of thing!

I thought this thread was going to be about the noise of the dryer. I'm not sure what you can do about their choice to scent their laundry but it's a shame to mask the more natural smells around you. Hopefully as the kiddies grow up there will be less washing!