Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Benefits

(35 Posts)
Newquay Wed 05-Oct-22 20:40:28

Just spent the day with 67 year old dear sister in law. Still working full time but has reached her limit and wants to retire. She lives in social housing and will only have the state pension as income. We checked her application for housing benefit and she was just over the limit to qualify therefore she would need a part time job.
Off to the job centre-they don’t do jobs (!)-but they suggested she try site «entitled-which shows she IS entitled and therefor will not have to pay full rent or council tax. Anyone any experience of this? How can she confirm she’ll receive this benefit ?

Oldnproud Wed 05-Oct-22 20:43:00

The simplest way is to put in a claim. What does she have to lose?

JaneJudge Wed 05-Oct-22 20:43:50

lots of local charities and voluntary services can help with this kind of thing Newquay

Have you looked at age uk website? and shelter? I think they both have helplines

JaneJudge Wed 05-Oct-22 20:44:26

Oldnproud

The simplest way is to put in a claim. What does she have to lose?

she'd have to retire/leave her job before putting in a claim smile

Oldnproud Wed 05-Oct-22 20:45:40

I should add that if she only has a state pension, and is in rented housing, I think she will almost certainly be entitled to pension credit and the other benefits it brings.

Oldnproud Wed 05-Oct-22 21:03:36

Oldnproud

I should add that if she only has a state pension, and is in rented housing, I think she will almost certainly be entitled to pension credit and the other benefits it brings.

Yes, that's true.

But she can use the calculator now to find out, putting in the income that would apply if she stopped working.

www.gov.uk/pension-credit-calculator

Oldnproud Wed 05-Oct-22 21:05:02

Oops, thought I was quoting JaneJudge's post there, not my own!

Newquay Wed 05-Oct-22 21:07:16

Thanks hadn’t thought of charities!
She did hope she’d qualify for housing benefit which would mean she’d pay less rent and council tax but her state pension-on the gov pension site-takes her slightly over the limit which she’d not qualify meaning she’d be about £70 week short!

NotAGran55 Wed 05-Oct-22 21:10:34

Citizens Advice is her best friend in these circumstances.

M0nica Wed 05-Oct-22 21:16:44

I prefer Age UK. Citizen'a Advice used to send everyone over 60 needing help with benefits to us.

notgran Wed 05-Oct-22 21:18:46

If she is a single householder she should not be paying full council tax. If she is 67 she will have been entitled to state pension from her 66th birthday. She will be getting automatically a Winter's Fuel Allowance which this year has aPensioner's cost of living allowance and is £500 per household.Hope this helps.

NotAGran55 Wed 05-Oct-22 21:19:06

Not true Monica in West Berkshire.

Newquay Wed 05-Oct-22 22:03:36

Yes that’s what we used first of all and it showed she’s just over the limit then we tried “entitledto» site which said she IS entitled!!

Newquay Thu 06-Oct-22 07:45:41

Thanks for your input! We’re still going round in circles ?
She does get council tax reduction already.
We did the calculation, as if she’d retired, on the govt site which shows she’s not entitled to anything. If she can get help towards rent she could manage. We have pared her expenses to the bone. She will be about £70 a week short-don’t know where to go from here ?

LOUISA1523 Thu 06-Oct-22 07:48:16

I thought you could only get pension credit on the old state pension? .... she will be getting the new state pension

Oldnproud Thu 06-Oct-22 08:29:08

LOUISA1523

I thought you could only get pension credit on the old state pension? .... she will be getting the new state pension

Actually, I think you're right, Louisa. I remembered that after I posted.

I'm certain she should be able to claim something though, as paying her rent and council tax alone (not sure what reduction she can be getting on the latter now other than than 25% single adult discount), she can't possibly have enough left over to cover her other living costs.

Newquay Thu 06-Oct-22 08:50:51

Oldnproud you’d think so wouldn’t you? Am just stumped!
Will suggest she actually makes a claim-showing just her state pension as income as she’ll immediately be in shortfall the minute she stops work but she can’t carry on-in any event she has to stop at some point!

Toetoe Thu 06-Oct-22 09:16:50

My sister lives in social housing and there is a welfare lady who is there for advice and help . Ask your sister to check with her housing association if their is someone who can help . They usually come to the home too . This person should be able to help with any financial issues

DaisyAnne Thu 06-Oct-22 09:42:32

Do not assume that using the figures will give you the right answer. You are much better using a benefits calculator.

benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/
www.entitledto.co.uk/

Check that her savings are not over £10,000. If they are between £10,000 and £16,000 that will add a nominal amount to her "income".

You can be entitled to housing benefit but not to Pension Credit. It threw me a bit when I came across it, but it can happen.

Housing benefit can/may include the cost of some (most) services.

For some reason, the logic of which I have not managed to grasp, this can then tip you into Pension Credit - or not.

I agree with Toetoe. Most housing associations have someone who will help. Some don't only help with benefits some will help ensure you are not paying out too much in other ways.

Newquay Thu 06-Oct-22 09:47:59

Daisy Ann her savings are not over the £10k.
Will try Turn2us and suggest she contacts whoever she pays her rent to too-good idea!
We did use the govt benefit calculator!
Didn’t realise there’s a difference between housing benefit and pension credit!
Thanks

DaisyAnne Thu 06-Oct-22 09:58:42

Good luck Newquay. People can get an accountant to help with their taxes. Benefits are no less complicated but, obviously, people can't afford the accountant smile

Newquay Fri 07-Oct-22 21:41:38

Well, she went onto local
authority website and did calculations for housing benefit and-success!-looks like she’ll get sufficient help towards rent and council tax to manage. What a relief! Thank you all SO much

DaisyAnne Fri 07-Oct-22 21:51:09

It's worth checking her overall eligibility to benefits generally once she has sorted out the housing side.

I am so pleased for you both. Such a weight off your shoulders.

Newquay Fri 07-Oct-22 22:15:53

Yes Daisyanne you’re right. She’ll now give in her notice end of October to retire end of December. Am SO pleased for her

rafichagran Fri 07-Oct-22 22:32:49

So am I Newquay