KALMS for Strees

(10 Posts)
Carmen54 Thu 28-Mar-24 16:25:15

Hi all..am contemplating taking these Kalms pills to help with stress

But I am diabetic and take Sitagliptin

And not sure if the Kalms will affect the sitagliptin

Does anyone have any experience of this please

Marydoll Thu 28-Mar-24 16:33:45

In my opinion, anyone taking prescribed medication, should seek professional advice, before taking over the counter meds.

I certainly wouldn't risk it.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Mar-24 16:42:47

Ask your pharmacist first. They’ll know.

This was interesting to read today:

“ Sir Trevor McDonald took pills to calm himself down before high-profile interviews, he has disclosed.

The admission came as the 84-year-old admitted to having “sleepless nights” before interviewing the likes of Nelson Mandela and Saddam Hussein.

He said that while the best way to deter his nerves was simply to “prepare assiduously”, there were times where he had to resort to taking tablets.

Speaking on the Desperately Seeking Wisdom podcast, the veteran TV host said: “It was always fascinating for me, and terrifying in a way, because the greater the person or the bigger the person in political circles, the better you felt you had to do.

“The only way I knew how to do that was to prepare assiduously before I did it.

“I would have sleepless nights before interviewing Mandela or Hussein: I mean, literally, and I would be on edge.

“If I may confess, at one stage I even got the chemist to give me pills to calm me down.”

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 28-Mar-24 17:16:33

I take a number of prescribed medications and wouldn’t take more than paracetamol without checking with my gp whether it was safe to take anything else. Medicines which are described as ‘natural’ and ‘herbal’ can interact badly with prescription medicines. They are not necessarily as innocuous as they sound.

Delia22 Thu 28-Mar-24 17:30:01

Definitely check with a pharmacist.They are much better than GP,s for information about medications and what is safe to take with a prescription medication.

petra Thu 28-Mar-24 17:46:50

When you are stressed your body is pumping adrenaline to give you strength to fight or flight. Adrenaline is a fuel. You have to burn that fuel. Do any movement/ exercise that gets the heart pumping.
It works.

Gwyllt Thu 28-Mar-24 23:18:13

There are sites called Drug Interaction Checkers
Always worth a look with any new med
When I was in hospital for my second hip replacement when first up and about my balance was shot
It was only when I told the surgeon during his late afternoon visit that he checked my pain relief
I still had a patch as well as the codeine
He ceremoniously removed the patch and I was fine
Also the recommended does for us older folk is sometimes lower etc

Carmen54 Fri 29-Mar-24 13:37:16

Wow thank you so much for all the advice Grateful 🙏

Gossamerbeynon1945 Fri 29-Mar-24 15:12:08

I would definately ask the pharmicist!!!

Sssd Wed 10-Apr-24 09:29:32

You need propranolol