Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Bowel test

(7 Posts)
dollydaydream68 Thu 01-Oct-26 13:13:23

Just done the test, I know it's crazy and needs to be done, but is anyone else scared of getting the results?

kittylester Thu 01-Oct-26 13:17:33

Every time. It's always been fine though.

dragonfly46 Thu 01-Oct-26 13:20:42

It is worth doing. My DH did it which turned out positive. He had a colonogram, less invasive than a colonoscopy, and it found his bowel was clear but he had a small cancerous growth on his liver. He was able to be operated on as it was small but he would not be here now if they had not found it.

crazyH Thu 01-Oct-26 13:21:16

You’re not the only one -we are all scared of tests and the results.
I had to take in a sample - due to passing blood - awful process 🤢 - but glad I did it - everything was ok - the blood was from a tear due to straining.
My daughter has just been for a hysteroscopy. I am now worried about the reults of that.
Life is one big worry !!

Lixy2 Thu 01-Oct-26 13:22:15

Of course, though once I have trotted to the post box (usually under the cover of darkness) I forget about it. The letter with results comes quickly here.

MiniMoon Thu 01-Oct-26 13:29:41

Do not worry about the result. Here is my latest experience of bowel screening.
I was sent my very last bowel cancer screening kit in May. Sent it off and the result came back positive for blood in stool. I wasn't worried, just a little concerned but I was impressed at the speed at which I was seen at the hospital. By the beginning of June I had a date for a colonoscopy. Result, no cancer detected, just one small polyp, removed there and then, and an inflamed ileo cecal valve which they didn't understand but took a biopsy of just in case. The result of the biopsy back in seven days, NAD.
All in all, great service from the NHS.

Georgesgran Thu 01-Oct-26 13:33:46

NHS screening's kits are only sent out up to 74 years of age.
After that, you should request a kit from them on 08007076060.