Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Iron on or sew on

(4 Posts)
fluttERBY123 Fri 09-Oct-26 14:51:06

Thinking to get a small decorative patch to cover a moth hole in a jumper. Most on line say they are iron on which I don't think would work on a jumper. So the question is, has anyone successfully sewn an iron on patch to a jumper?

B9exchange Fri 09-Oct-26 15:06:39

Yes, often, I don't trust the glue to last. Iron on first and the sew round it.

eddiecat78 Fri 09-Oct-26 15:28:57

I think you might have problems if it is a synthetic jumper and the patch has to be ironed on at a high temperature.
It's very fashionable now to make a feature of darning holes - lots of pictures online

JoyBloggs Fri 09-Oct-26 15:37:39

I haven't actually tried this but I do have a lot of sewing experience and I'm sure it would be absolutely fine to sew an iron-on patch to your jumper.
I've discovered a small moth hole in a cashmere cardi and I'm planning to mend it by embroidering a little moth over the hole... once I've decided whether to discreetly match the colour of the cardi (aubergine) or make a colourful feature of it!!