Gransnet forums

Bereavement

I lost my dear old mum today..

(144 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 06-Dec-16 19:56:05

She had been in hospital for over 5 weeks, battling infection after infection as best her frail old body could fight.
R.I.P Jean. A good woman, a good mum, a good person. X

Nana3 Wed 07-Dec-16 07:45:24

MissAdventure and storynanny my condolences to you both at this sad time for you. flowers flowers

thatbags Wed 07-Dec-16 08:32:04

flowers for those who have recently lost parents.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 07-Dec-16 09:07:47

So sorry for your loss flowers

Christinefrance Wed 07-Dec-16 09:10:32

So sorry to hear about your Mum MissAdventure, may God bless her and you. flowers

Rinouchka Wed 07-Dec-16 09:12:51

Condolences and hugs MissAdventure and storynanny. The anniversary of my own beautiful mamma's death comes up next week. Your posts brought it all back. Do read this moving poem by Emily Dickinson: flowers

The Bustle in a House
The Morning after Death
Is solemnest of industries
Enacted upon Earth

The Sweeping if the Heart
And putting Love away
We shall not want to use again
Until Eternity

( capitals are the poet's)

MissAdventure Wed 07-Dec-16 09:25:15

Thank you so much everyone. StoryNanny, sending hugs your way.
I'm touched beyond words
I truly didn't realise just how difficult this would be; what a wrench the loss would be.
Sending hugs to all and everyone who has suffered the loss of a loved one, whether recent or in times gone past x x x

SussexGirl60 Wed 07-Dec-16 09:29:39

'Expected but unexpected'...always a terrible shock. Give yourself lots of time to grieve and come to terms with the loss. Especially with your mother, it can't be hurried. ?

Indigoblue Wed 07-Dec-16 09:35:14

You have my deepest sympathy, MissAd,I lost mine some years ago and I still catch myself talking to her.

lujaha Wed 07-Dec-16 09:36:22

Guard your memories with love, one day you will be able to look back at them with less pain. I send you fortitude.

Lark21 Wed 07-Dec-16 09:38:45

Sorry to hear about your mum - even sadder this time of year xx

radicalnan Wed 07-Dec-16 09:40:26

Bless you such a hard thing to cope with. You are lucky you have all her goodness as part of the pattern of your life. Thinking of you and sending love.

JS06 Wed 07-Dec-16 09:43:45

A very sad loss, sending warm wishes to you. xxx

Grandson2008 Wed 07-Dec-16 09:44:57

So sorry for your loss,especially at this time of year. I try and think she is still with me and it really helps xxx

nettynora Wed 07-Dec-16 09:45:08

Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you may find the following reading to be a comfort:

She Is Gone - by David Harkins
You can shed tears that she is gone
or you can smile because she has lived.

You can close your eyes and wish that she will come back
or you can open your eyes and see all she has left.

Your heart can be empty because you can't see her
or you can be full of the love you shared.

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember her and only that she's gone
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.

You can cry and close your mind,
be empty and turn your back

or you can do what she would want:
smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

Marieeliz Wed 07-Dec-16 09:45:47

So sorry, I lost my Mum in Jan 2004 she was 98. We lived together so I missed her greatly. Sadly my only relative, my brother died in 2010 could not believe he had only lived till 6 years after my Mum. He always thought he would live till her age. It looks like it will be me. I hope you have someone close to help.

shysal Wed 07-Dec-16 09:48:17

My thoughts are with you MissAdventure and all who are in the same position. Take care of yourselves. (((hugs))) flowers

Maryp45 Wed 07-Dec-16 09:51:01

Dear MissAdventure, my mum also died 6 December, 7 years ago. Really sorry to read about your mum Jean, it's such a strange time, I was all over the place. I wasn't shocked, but it was a shock if that makes sense. Look after yourself, you will get through it. With love xx

Bususer1 Wed 07-Dec-16 09:51:28

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My lovely Mum died 6 weeks ago. She had been in hospital on and off for two years more in hospital than at home.
I have never in my life felt so much pain, but I'm so grateful that I had two wonderful parents. I console myself by thinking of the so many young children who loose their Mums at an early age. I at least had 62years of love & life with her. We had our moments sometimes stormy but never loved her or she me any the less. Cherish and hold onto the Happy Memories

grove1234 Wed 07-Dec-16 09:52:27

lots of love

gillybob Wed 07-Dec-16 10:11:11

So sorry to hear of the loss of your dear mum MissAdventure flowers

I lost my mum back in April (she was only 74) and it still feels like it was yesterday.

ClaraB Wed 07-Dec-16 10:11:26

Very sorry to hear this sad news - sending you big hugs x

grannytotwins Wed 07-Dec-16 10:29:38

I'm so sorry. I felt like I had a limb missing when I lost my mum. It will be hard, but have the best Christmas you can.

Penstemmon Wed 07-Dec-16 10:38:12

Sorry for your loss. It does not matter how old we or our mother are the loss is still a big one.

I do hope in time, when the rawness of grief has subsided, that you will have many lovely memories to sustain you in the future. flowers

Mary59nana Wed 07-Dec-16 10:48:00

So sorry for your loss
Loosing your mum is so very hard but beautiful memories are a comfort flowers

Soniah Wed 07-Dec-16 10:53:49

Sorry to ar your news, it doesn't seem to matter if it was expected or not, still very hard and if there is a bit of relief it is difficult not to feel guilty