Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Rio Ferdinand

(8 Posts)
Madgran77 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:05:41

I have just finished watching the programme - Rio Ferdinand talking about the death of his wife, his bereavement, dealing with his children's bereavement. Full of admiration for him and I am sure it will help many others who are facing bereavement to see and hear him talking so openly about so many painful aspects of bereavement.

gillybob Tue 28-Mar-17 22:24:16

I watched it too Madgran77. He came across as such a genuine, lovely person and a wonderful dad to his three children. His late wife Rebecca would have been so proud of him. I hope the program goes on to help lots of other young dads (and mums) who are struggling to know how to talk to their grieving children. Very sad though. sad

Pittcity Wed 29-Mar-17 07:45:19

Such a moving programme. Very brave of Rio and his family to make it.

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 29-Mar-17 14:36:14

A very touching programme. I had such admiration for him, and his family. I agree gillybob his wife would have been so very proud of them.

judypark Wed 29-Mar-17 16:48:52

Rio gave an in depth interview in the Times newspaper last week. He stated that making the documentary had been very therapeutic for him. He also candidly admitted that he also thought that when he left for training every morning that he was doing " The real job". It was only after Rebecca had died that he realised that he had no idea what his children ate for breakfast nor how to plait his daughter's hair.
A brave and moving insight into the his and many other young widowers lifes'.

KatyK Wed 29-Mar-17 17:02:25

It was very sad.

Deedaa Wed 29-Mar-17 20:46:44

I was so impressed watching this. To see him sitting with the other father discussing stocking up on sanitary towels for his daughter made me realise that there's so much more to him than football. I hadn't realised how short his wife's illness had been - so little time to prepare! The memory jar is s lovely idea, they were having such fun thinking up memories.

Newquay Thu 30-Mar-17 00:33:48

Funnily enough have just had a conversation with elder DD about this prog and said how moving I had found it. I hadn't a clue who he is really but DD said isn't he the footballer who had Court's block info about his many affairs? I dunno-really?