Gransnet forums

Bereavement

widowed friend

(4 Posts)
GrandmaMoira Sat 08-Jul-17 11:33:19

Has she had the stomach problems checked by the GP to check there's nothing physical going on? The GP could also prescribe anti anxiety medication or refer her to counselling. It sounds as if several losses (husband, dog, man friend and retiring) have compounded to bring her down. In my case I was so busy with work and family after losing my husband and now retired and living on my own I think of DH much more. However, I'm happy living on my own.
Would volunteering keep her busy and possibly help her.

Hm999 Fri 07-Jul-17 22:23:00

Have a look at threads on retirement re. getting out of the house. I'm a cat person, is she? It's good to have something to come home to, and even bad mornings mean you gave to get up to feed it!

TriciaF Thu 27-Apr-17 18:47:20

ps I've been reading Stansgran's* thread from earlier and that gives some understanding. Also remembering my Mum's experiences when Dad died. But she had us.

TriciaF Thu 27-Apr-17 18:29:26

My nearest neighbour's husband died ?6 years ago. They had no children. She's late 60s. After he died I used to look after his dog during the day, because she was still working. He returned home at night.
Then last year the dog died.
The poor woman is looking unwell, she has stomach problems, from 'stress' she says. She had a man friend but this seems to have fizzled out. She goes out a lot to fill the time, then can't relax when she gets home.
I wonder if some of you other ladies on here who have been in a similar position can offer advice that I can pass on to her.