Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Photographer at a funeral?

(96 Posts)
Daddima Fri 28-Apr-17 20:31:17

My brother's funeral was yesterday, and I was horrified to see a photographer in attendance. Dscuss.

Melanie61 Mon 08-May-17 07:39:12

At my mums recent funeral, the crematorium audio recorded the service. We did this for my brother, who lives in Australia and auntie, elderly and infirm who couldn't attend the service.
No one knew it was being recorded.
I haven't been strong enough to listen to it yet, but I'm glad we did it.

GreatauntieLinda Sun 07-May-17 22:35:54

Oh how I wish someone had taken photographs at my DHs funeral. The only thing I can remember is his coffin. I don't know who was at the Church or graveside. I did return to the Cemetery when everyone had gone home and took photos of the flowers on the grave. Its just I cannot remember the people who were there. It haunts me.

willa45 Wed 03-May-17 01:38:17

So sorry for your loss. No, I have never seen a photographer at a funeral. I can only speculate that it could have been a dying wish perhaps?

Elsie10 Sun 30-Apr-17 22:26:37

I took photos of my dad's coffin in grave before it was filled in. I wanted to remember how it was with flowers from mourners. I think my daughter thought it strange but has since asked to see the pics. I also took photos of the folk who came. I find it comforting to have this record.

W11girl Sun 30-Apr-17 17:44:55

Each to their own. Not for me.

Esspee Sun 30-Apr-17 14:50:48

My husband's family wanted a photograph of him after he died. I took it myself and went down to Asda to have prints made from his last few months to send to them. (Before home printers). Assistant insisted I viewed all the pics to select the best, I ended up in tears and had to leave the shop. The poor girl had no idea what the problem was but I told her to print all. (Cost a fortune) I wondered if she had a look at them and realised why I had cracked up. It went so much against my upbringing but my in laws did appreciate my compliance. Different cultures, different norms.

LGH Sun 30-Apr-17 13:53:24

No I dont like the idea if photography at funerals seems disrespectful

Daddima Sun 30-Apr-17 10:45:06

Really interesting to read all different points of view. I can clearly see the merit of a discreetly taken video recording, or pictures of flowers, and possibly even at the wake. I remember our old parish priest saying that he never went to the wake, because he maintained that everyone would be releasing tension, and sharing funny stories about the deceased, and they would feel guilty for laughing if the priest was there!

The photos taken at my brother's were mostly of his ( estranged) wife and her family posing and smiling by the hearse.

Skweek1 Sun 30-Apr-17 09:00:50

Perhaps the deceased was a personal friend of the photographer and asked him to make a souvenir of the celebration of his life.

Brupen Sun 30-Apr-17 08:19:32

My son died whilst serving in the RAF in Cyprus.
By the time he was repatriated and we had the funeral I was in such a state that I am only too glad one of our friends filmed the service on a video.
I am now able to actually see how beautiful the service was as I didn't take in much at the time.
I also have a photograph of my son in the casket wearing his uniform. This may seem a bit gruesome to some but I take great comfort in it on the odd occasion I look at it.

tiffaney Sun 30-Apr-17 07:39:49

I went to a funeral recently where someone (not a professional photographer) was taking photos and videoing. I thought it wasn't right until they explained it was for family in Australia who were not able to attend.

annsixty Sat 29-Apr-17 21:27:43

At many of the funerals I have attended recently I feel it would be very inappropriate to take photographs at the wake as a lot of people feel a sense of release of tension and eat, drink and be merry because it is not them who have died. This is hardly conducive of a memento for the immediate bereaved.

Eloethan Sat 29-Apr-17 21:19:37

My family have taken photos at funerals - of the wreaths and their messages, the wake, etc. I wouldn't have thought of hiring a professional photographer but I don't really see why it should be looked upon so harshly.

Bluegayn58 Sat 29-Apr-17 20:38:45

I have never seen this, and don't wish to either.

NanaandGrampy Sat 29-Apr-17 20:36:24

We have a large family flung to the 4 corners of the world. As we all get older funerals are often one of the limited opportunities we have to get together.

I am usually the photographer. We don't take pictures at the actual funeral but afterwards at the wake I do. We reminisce, we laugh, we cry and some of my best pictures have captured my family at these moments.

We look back and remember the times we were together and those no longer with us.

Sheilasue Sat 29-Apr-17 20:02:09

My late son had a friend who always had a camera round his neck. So it was no surprise that he turned up at our sons funeral with his camera.

Grandmama Sat 29-Apr-17 19:52:24

I haven't read all the posts so sorry if someone else has said this but on one of the family history sites I use the comment was made that photographs are rarely taken at funerals but they can be useful as a record of the deceased's family, how they are all related and can be added to the family tree. And some previously unknown relatives might come who can be added to the tree.

Redrobin51 Sat 29-Apr-17 19:05:20

My couisin had a photographer at her husband's funeral about 5 years back. She wanted a record of the flowers and who attended so she could properly thank people afterwards.

rosesarered Sat 29-Apr-17 19:01:32

Having read all the comments on this ( and I had never heard of anyone taking photos at a funeral ) my feeling is that the husband/wife of the deceased should decide what to do, and let all who are coming know either to take or not take any photos.I cannot imagine standing in a group and smiling at a funeral , but maybe some shots taken of the church and mourners etc and then afterwards at the 'wake' some of close family and friends, if the chief mourner whoever it is, says that they can do.

BRedhead59 Sat 29-Apr-17 18:54:13

At the gathering/tea/ afterwards is ok I think but maybe not at the crematoria or cemetery

Stella14 Sat 29-Apr-17 17:26:50

I really don't see what is wrong with it. If it brings comfort to the bereaved, present or far away. We shouldn't be judgemental about the choices of others.

icanhandthemback Sat 29-Apr-17 17:20:40

Each to their own. Sometimes you only see relatives at weddings and funerals so it may just be a way of updating your your photographic records of family member.

Spiritual Sat 29-Apr-17 17:10:55

I haven't heard of it but I am sure it could bring a lot of comfort if you feel like it later on. When we are in mourning everything feels unreal and like a blur so it is a good way of recalling the funeral and all the people who loved the departed. At least the photographs are there, even if they are never looked at again. It is too late if they are not captured at the time.

callgirl1 Sat 29-Apr-17 17:07:40

My cousin took several photos of his mum`s grave and the flowers, he was the only person at the funeral and was so moved he wanted something to look back on.
We recently took my husband`s ashes to be scattered in the sea off the beach at his favourite place in Scotland. I found out later that one of my grandsons had videoed it on his phone. At first I was unsure over whether to watch it, but am now glad that I have done.

Marmight Sat 29-Apr-17 16:57:00

I wish a video had been taken at DH's funeral. I don't remember the finer details but do know the eulogy given by a very good friend was lovely. I have a copy of it but would like to actually hear it being delivered again. It would also remind me of who was there. There were over 200 attendees and some disappeared through a different door before I could see them. DD1 didn't want to see her Dad after he had died so DD3 and I took some photos should she regret it in the future. Sounds a bit strange but sometimes I look at them to confirm that he is really dead. I still stupidly occasionally think he'll come wandering back into my life sad. So, there we are - discussed. I don't find it strange.