Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Do you delete numbers off your phone when someone dies?

(86 Posts)
Liz08 Fri 09-Mar-18 11:42:35

It seem that quite a few people still have the phone numbers of family and friends who were no longer alive on their mobiles.

My dearly beloved Dad passed away just over a year ago and I deleted his number a few weeks later, now I feel bad.

I did keep the string of texts sent to my sister as I sat by his hospital bed in the weeks before he died. They remind me of the unfolding story.

M0nica Fri 05-Apr-19 08:49:05

Yesterday I broke out a new address book, still keep one as back up. The old one was nearly 30 years old and cluttered with multiple addresses for DC as they went through their peripatetic student and early working years, their current addresses, where each has lived over 10 years which are difficult to find among the clutter, addresses of those no longer in my life - window cleaners and piano tuners - and those who have died: parents, sister, other relations, and those friends, now alone as their spouses have died and one name has been scratched out.

I now have a neat workable address book and it is actually quite nice.

On my computer I still have the last exchange of emails between me and a dear friend, organising a visit, just before her sudden and unexpected death. I am both glad that her name and address are no longer in my address book, but so glad I still have that last flurry of emails.

lure1959 Fri 05-Apr-19 08:19:05

One month after my wife passed my daughter put all her mums numbers on my sim did not know alot of them but it tells me she had a lot of freinds try not to feel bad i did the same take care

keffie Sun 31-Mar-19 18:23:43

Up to each person. I still have my husband's in my phone who passed unexpectedly a year ago. I have no plans to take it out either. It's a personal choice

grannymary Sun 31-Mar-19 12:44:21

I still have mobile number for DH who died in December 2017 in my phone. Feeling a bit down on Valentine’s Day this year, I sent him a text telling him I loved him. Imagine how spooked I was to get a reply 5 minutes later. It never occurred to me that numbers were reused.

Bellasnana Wed 27-Mar-19 03:03:44

No, I can’t bear to delete.sad

CynthiaHatch Tue 26-Mar-19 11:35:43

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CynthiaHatch Tue 26-Mar-19 11:30:56

No, I don't delete it.

TerryM Wed 20-Mar-19 05:29:23

My father had Instagram. He only dis one post. Only followed 2 people and hadtqk people follow him. My son and I
I still look at that one photo
He has been gone 5 years
I still have all his emails . Dad was house bound due to ill health but quite computer savvy
Mum wasn't. Her nursing home has a Facebook page. It me about 14 months to unfriend. It was very very hard

BradfordLass72 Mon 04-Feb-19 07:44:56

I don't have a phone but the concept is the same when a Facebook friend dies.

I don't delete but I once tried to go to the FB page of a friend who had died 4 years before and where I went on her birthday each year, just to remember her, not to write anything.
Someone had deleted the page so I took her off my friend list.

GrandmainOz Mon 04-Feb-19 07:01:36

I "archived" my son's Facebook account. It means it's in the ether somewhere. Not deleted and could be reactivated. I had to close it down as seeing his photo each time would send me into a meltdown. Many of his friends weren't happy about my decision, but I did it for my own sanity, after looting his photos first and saving them in a private file.
I still have my Mum's number and our last texts on my phone (she died 10 months ago). Her last message, 36 hours before her death, was asking how I was.

Urmstongran Sun 03-Feb-19 20:27:02

My mum died on 2 March last year. When my 2nd dad (he & mum we’re married 27y) rings my mobile it comes up as ‘mum calling’.
I’ve decided on the anniversary of her death next month I shall change the name to his - it’s a landline number so it won’t say ‘mum calling’ anymore.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Feb-19 20:04:51

smile
That's lovely, paddy (and sad)

paddyann Sun 03-Feb-19 19:42:54

No and even worse I had voicemails from my late mum for years after she died.I got a strange comfort from playing them and hearing her wee voice say "Hello its only me ".
Strangely not long after I got rid of my mobile I had a call at home from a wee voice that said the same thing mum used to and it made me cry.
It WAS a wrong number I discovered when I chatted to the old soul on the other end ,but in one way I'd like to think it wasn't and it was meant for me all along .Mum was letting me know she had her eye on me as she always said she would .

genie10 Sun 03-Feb-19 18:12:54

I kept my mum's number on my phone for several years but eventually deleted it (with a heavy heart} as I was worried I would accidentally phone the person who now uses that number.

Tangerine Sun 03-Feb-19 18:05:21

Sometimes I delete the numbers. Depends in how well I knew the deceased person.

I don't think there is a wrong or right approach.

tanith Sun 03-Feb-19 16:37:23

I’ve not done it yet and don’t think I’ll ever be ready.

lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 16:24:06

Yes, I delete phone numbers and addresses and birthdays in the birthday book.
If you’re not ready to do it, then don’t.

sodapop Sun 03-Feb-19 16:19:01

I haven't had any family for over 40 years apart from my daughters and grandchildren who are thankfully well and happy. My sympathy to all those of you who have been bereaved
thanksflowers

Anja Sun 03-Feb-19 15:37:50

Well unless you intend ringing them....

Alima Sun 03-Feb-19 15:04:23

Mum died in 1981. I didn’t have her number to delete on anything new-fangled. I forget a great many things but will always remember her phone number. It is tattooed on my heart.

newnanny Sun 03-Feb-19 13:00:43

I don't delete them. Silly i know as i know my Mum's number by heart anyway. Somehow it is comforting for them to be there.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 19-Jul-18 16:22:37

Yes, I do delete phone numbers when some-one dies and their e-mail address and I delete postal address and telephone numbers in my handwritten address book, my Christmas card list and my computer database.

It upsets me much more to see the numbers, addresses etc. later than to delete them when I am sad anyhow just after someone has died.

mimiro Mon 16-Jul-18 16:06:19

if i had one yes i would/for the simple reason the numbers get passed on.
what i did do when husband died a year and a half ago was write to his email address for a few months.just the things that would have been said outloud to him.comments on 2 new babies born.new puppy.when the payment came up for the account i stopped.

M0nica Mon 16-Jul-18 15:24:20

Yes, but not until some months later.

I have kept all the last flurry of emails between a dear friend and myself before her sudden illness and death. We were organising a visit and the language and attitude was so typical of her. They are all tucked a way in a separate file in my family history folder.

fiorentina51 Mon 16-Jul-18 14:49:23

Yes, I do delete them quite quickly.