Gransnet forums

Bereavement

The ghoulishness of Hallowe’en?

(192 Posts)
MawBroon Sun 14-Oct-18 10:11:38

There was a letter in the DT yesterday from a woman who had recently lost her mother, saying she feels she cannot cope with the “ghoulish” imagery of Halloween.
Setting aside what I suspect most of us feel about the incredibly overdone Halloween “thing,” it got me thinking too.
OK it is all a bit of harmless fun for the kids, but the graveyard/skull/skeleton imagery is also very disturbing especially to the recently bereaved.
Graham Norton, the DT’s “agony uncle” gave this advice

Don’t focus on the morbid imagery and more ghoulish elements, listen instead to the excited screams of the children, their joy at dressing up, their laughter when they see their friends in costumes saying this is a reminder that life goes on.
I am sure he has a valid point, but this aspect of death (skeletons , ghouls, ghosties etc) is not one I am comfortable with dwelling on, nor I hope do the DGCs make that connection with the smiling loving Grandpa they have lost.
Any thoughts?

absent Sat 20-Oct-18 05:30:36

I am giving a Halloween party for my grandchildren and some of their friends. Yes, there will be an element of shrieking and shivering, but there will not be anything ghoulish or truly frightening. We shall hang artificial spider webs from the rafters in the lounge – I do hope that will not be the day the agent comes round to inspect the house – and have food with names that create a frisson and a giggle. We shall play noughts and crosses in the garden with green and white squash, have a [plastic} spider race by blowing with straws, a colouring competition (age appropriate) with harmless and unalarming pictures. It will be a couple of hours of light-hearted nonsense for ages three to eleven and the plan is that everyone goes home having had fun and plenty of slightly unusual things to eat and no one has nightmares. P.s. I make mean edible witches brooms with pretzel broomsticks and slivered sliced cheese for brushes, tied on with chives and the monster bones are made of meringue.

M0nica Fri 19-Oct-18 20:47:23

It is the back page of the section of the newspaper called 'Saturday', or .Week End'. I think they changed it recently, but one or the other. DH buys the Saturday DT intermittently. Only on weekends when he thinks he will have time to read it.

Polly48 Fri 19-Oct-18 16:38:37

Oh thanks MOnica - I’ll have to check that out in MILs paper tomorrow - I like him

M0nica Fri 19-Oct-18 16:14:57

Yup, he can be read on the back pge of the DT on Saturdays and the advice he gives is thoughtful and caring.

Anniebach Fri 19-Oct-18 08:38:57

Thank you Jalima

Polly48 Fri 19-Oct-18 07:12:14

Er........Graham Norton is a agony uncle?!

Jalima1108 Thu 18-Oct-18 23:18:15

www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/it-wrong-celebrate-halloween

Apples and pumpkins are part of Hallowe'en because it was when the Celts celebrated the harvest.
The various Roman, Celtic, Christian festivals have all been combined over the years for pragmatic purposes - ie the Christian church using the dates of pagan festivals to encourage people to change over to Christianity.

PECS Thu 18-Oct-18 22:42:36

annie ! I was just pointing out that if you thought 7th Century was living in the past the Bible was even older!

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 21:53:04

Aw, so it didn’t win the Booker Prize , that’s a pity

PECS Thu 18-Oct-18 21:50:00

Well the Bible itself is pretty much from the ancient past!

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 21:46:18

The 7th century , that really is living in the past is it not

notanan2 Thu 18-Oct-18 21:44:17

Extra prayers for the dead are very much still practiced around halloween in many christiam churches so variations of Halloween IS part of the christian faith for many christians.

PECS Thu 18-Oct-18 21:43:31

This may be QI for some of you.

www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/holydays/halloween_1.shtml

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 21:37:35

Halloween in not part of the Christian faith .

May as well bring up witch trials . Most of us have moved on

notanan2 Thu 18-Oct-18 21:32:52

So back to the prior post about halloween being anti-christian . It can't be. The Church joined in and adopted its own variations of it.

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 21:31:41

I am not interested in that, I am speaking of the Christian Church now not hundreds of years ago.

For those who are grieving I promise you All Souls Day is to pray for the dearly departed .

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 21:28:44

I can only speak for the Anglican Churches I have and do worship in, Churches have a book for All Souls Day where one can write the name of a loved one who has died . Anyone wishing to do this if your local church is open in the day they may have a book for names to be written in

notanan2 Thu 18-Oct-18 21:27:02

But you actually are Annie. The reason why extra prayers to the departed were added to the Christian calender at this time is because people believed that messages could more easily be sent and received between our world and the spirit world at this time of year.

The church added its own variation of that to the church's calender because it is easier (when conquering/converting natives) to adapt and adopt their traditions than to eradicate them.

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 21:23:32

No I am not speaking of zombies or thinning of the veil, the latter is not part of the Christian faith.

notanan2 Thu 18-Oct-18 21:20:54

Living dead? What you mean zombies? grin

Thats not whay the thinning of the veil means lol

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 21:18:14

I am not speaking of older traditions, I am speaking of Christian Services and contacting the so called ‘living dead’ has nothing to do with prayers for the departed

It was a custom to enter graveyards on Holloween looking for the living dead .

No part of the services on All Saints Day or All Soul Day speak on the living dead

I am speaking of services in the Anglican Church

notanan2 Thu 18-Oct-18 21:17:45

Halloween, all saints and all souls are all part of the same thing. And are modified from older celebrations such as Samhain.

notanan2 Thu 18-Oct-18 21:15:24

"Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of Hallows' Evening),[5] also known as Allhalloween,[6] All Hallows' Eve,[7] or All Saints' Eve,[8] is a celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide,[9] the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.[10][11]"

notanan2 Thu 18-Oct-18 21:08:50

Right.

Because the christian callender isn't at all superimposed onto older celebrations/traditions...

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 21:01:44

They are not connected and not the same celebration

All Saints Day and All Souls Day are part of the Christian Calendar, no connect with spirits .