Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Travelling with Ashes

(15 Posts)
Avor2 Sat 18-May-19 19:28:11

Am wondering if anyone has taken their loved ones ashes abroad for scattering. I am wanting to take my sisters ashes to Portugal to scatter them in my sons garden, they were very close and she would have loved to be in the sunshine. Tried to ask Air Portugal but have not had any answer back from them, don't think I can just take her on board, they may think she is heroin or something and take her off of me and smoke her, she wouldn't like that!!!!! So does anyone know if you have to inform them, pay extra, she won't need a seat, can she come on board with me or does she go in the hold??? Any help will be much appreciated.

silverlining48 Sat 18-May-19 19:35:58

I took some of my mums ashes to germany. Before travelling i contacted easyjet who said i needed a cremation certificate, which i got.
Arrived at airport, bit concerned but luggage through the scanner, nothing said. Mentioned i had ashes and they didnt seem interested or ask for the paperwork.
Hope its as uncomplicated for you Avor.

Urmstongran Sat 18-May-19 19:36:15

Condolences on the lossy your sister. I would imagine you would keep her ashes in your cabin bag under the seat in front. Putting them into the hold there is always the slight possibility of luggage of any type going missing - even just temporarily and that would be stressful for you.

Ring customer enquires to check or Google their website perhaps?

I hope all goes smoothly for you.

bikergran Sat 18-May-19 19:56:01

My friend wanted to take some of her dh ashes to Australia (it was about 6 yrs ago)

She had to have them sealed in a airtight/vacum packed bag and declare them, I seem to think she had to have some form of certificate.

jacq10 Sat 18-May-19 19:57:54

I travelled to Spain with DH's ashes - not all of them but enough to fill a 8" x 4" plastic box which I sealed with duck tape. We were travelling hand baggage only with Easyjet and my daughter had enquired but, like you, she received no answer. I had been provided previously with a Cremation Certificate from the funeral director and put the two items in bubble wrap in my handbag on the top of my suitcase. It went through the scanner no problem at security but you are only allowed one item of hand baggage on board with Easyjet and the worry was they might take and tag our case as hold baggage which has happened in the past at which point I could have taken my handbag out of the case and kept it with me on the plane and I was confident that would be okay. Luckily this did not happen although about six cases around us were taken and tagged at the boarding gate. I have heard different instances regarding this but in all cases everything went smoothly. I'm sure it will be the same with you. The only real worry we had was that if my case went in the hold and went missing we would have had a real upset. However, as said, we had no real problem but worrying comes natural to many, including me. I packed a china vase with lid and transferred the ashes for our wee ceremony which DH and I had planned and talked about. It was difficult and sad but was glad we were able to carry out his wishes.

Avor2 Sat 18-May-19 21:36:19

Thank you all for your help, it is a bad enough time without having to worry about everything else, will keep trying with the airline, have got a few weeks before we fly.
Thank you again.
xxxx

mosaicwarts Sat 18-May-19 21:55:30

I flew down to London with my Mum's ashes. Security asked me what I had in my bag and I blurted out 'My Mum's ashes'. She peeked in my bag, saw the cremation box, twirled my make up bag around on her finger and pushed my bag back to me. I'm sure it happens a lot.

Unfortunately I didn't have a cremation certificate and was treated very badly by the crematorium staff at Hanworth, I was left sitting for 45 minutes whilst they made calls and made to feel like a criminal. Do get the certificate of transfer before you go.

BlueSapphire Mon 20-May-19 20:48:19

I am taking some of DH's ashes on my cruise to be scattered at sea, and this has prompted me to check and confirm with the cruise line, (they have already agreed to it) but I think I may need to remind them. Will also ask whether I need a cremation certificate, which I think I have.

Grammaretto Mon 20-May-19 21:07:58

I brought my Dad's ashes into the UK back in 2001, just after 9.11 they were twitchy at Heathrow but after scanning and sniffing they let me through. I had the cremation certificate.
Recently we took DM's ashes to Europe and had to have her death/cremation certificate.
I then took a few of dad's ashes to his birthplace - NZ but I just kept them in a small, sealed container in my pocket and was never searched.
Sad times. I'm sorry for your loss.

Mimidl Tue 28-May-19 07:30:17

Good morning Avor2. I’m so sorry for your loss.
I’m a funeral arranger, and my suggestion is to give your funeral home a call, they should be able to help you.
You need a notification of cremation certificate (there’s a small charge for this from the crematorium), a copy of the death certificate, and I think certified translations of both for Portugal (but confirm that with your funeral arranger).
The urn your sisters ashes were in from the crematorium will be fine, and keep her with you in your hand luggage.
You can also check with the Portuguese Embassy if that helps.

Floradora9 Tue 28-May-19 15:18:32

Sorry to add a bit of humour here but it still makes me smile and the aunt whose ashes were scattered would have loved it . My cousin took our aunts ashes to scatter on our local loch to do so while he heard the church bells ringing for Sunday service . The problem was every time he went over to the water the ducks thought they were about to be fed. It took several attempts before he completed the task .

BlueSapphire Mon 03-Jun-19 15:04:40

Just to say I have checked again with the cruise line and they are perfectly happy to let me scatter some of DH's ashes from the ship. I just need to make arrangements with reception once I get on board.
I also asked whether they required death and cremation certificates, and apparently not necessary, but to take them just in case. So these are put safely with my travel documents.

Avor2 Tue 04-Jun-19 20:45:13

Great to get your info everyone, I will start to set things in motion. XX

tanith Tue 04-Jun-19 21:26:11

I’ve recently taken some of my DHs ashes abroad to scatter them in a place he always wanted to visit but didn’t.
I took the death and cremation certificates with me and I didn’t ask the airline, everything was fine no one even asked me what they were. I had them in my carryon case and all was well.
I was very pleased I had done it and it was fairly easy.

Marmight Tue 04-Jun-19 23:06:07

I took DH's ashes to Australia in a lightweight container from the funeral director along with appropriate certificates. I had them in my cabin luggage and wasn't questioned on departure or arrival.