Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Bittersweet memories?

(5 Posts)
Puzzler61 Tue 30-Jun-20 19:56:29

Condolences Urmstongran I’m sure your mum’s face and voice are still held in your heart ?

Urmstongran Tue 30-Jun-20 19:55:02

Sorry Maw - meant to acknowledge how you must have felt to see & hear Paw on that family video. Technology has made this possible. However, your heart must ache and break every time you press ‘rewind’.
?

Puzzler61 Tue 30-Jun-20 19:54:24

What a touching thing for your cousin’s husband to do for you MawB?

It will give you much comfort - you can watch it many times over when you want to see your beloved Husband and all the other family members.
You need not feel alone even when you are.
To hear his voice is just beautiful. And letting your tears flow is entirely understandable. Try to recall the feelings of the good times and let them envelop you.
It’s better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. ?

Urmstongran Tue 30-Jun-20 19:50:31

When mum died 2y ago I had 3 voicemail (sweet) messages from her on my little Nokia phone.

I didn’t realise that to keep them active I had to listen to them intermittently. I was so upset one day when I wanted to ‘hear’ my mum again to discover that her messages had disappeared. Due to the time that had lapsed in playing them I had lost them forever. I cried.

MawB Tue 30-Jun-20 19:40:29

Today I received a DVD from my cousin’s husband of a big family party/dinner for my aunt and uncle’s 20th wedding anniversary in 1999. Theirs was a late second marriage for both of them and at their anniversary my uncle was already 80. There was a huge family turnout which was lovely.
We had gone up from here, my sister had come over from Canada, my 86 year old Dad was there, looking a bit frail and a bit vulnerable on his own as Mum had died just 2 years earlier, my cousin Ian who was to die of a sudden heart attack in his forties just 10 years later and of course my darling Paw looking fit and young and well, just 18 months after his transplant.
I have no other recording of his voice so to hear him reply to somebody who must have been asking how he was “Keeping very well thank you” (what he always said) is just so very special.
I have been in bits for most of today,it was just so lovely to see and to hear him again - if you have lost anybody dear to you, you will understand how much it means to me.
Memories like are so precious and magical aren’t they?