Gransnet forums

Bereavement

What best to say to or do for a new widow?

(69 Posts)
Jillybird Wed 12-Aug-20 13:51:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Guinivere68 Sun 04-Oct-20 11:35:35

I found solace in friends who would just arrive with a casserole or apple crumble. In fact any food was welcome as I comfort eat when stressed.. and it meant no cooking for me which I was finding I couldn't be bothered with. My stepdaughter and her husband were great at popping ing every other night for a cuppa. What I had no patience with is friends who did not phone or crossed over the road when they saw me in the village. They are friends no more. When confronted one said 'Oh I did not know what to say I said all she had to say was 'Hello, are you doing ok?' Or anything normal. Hope that helps.

Justwidowed Sun 13-Sep-20 23:06:56

After my husband died last October,I found that my neighbors were more helpful than family mainly due to Covid.
I found it irritating that some neighbours wouldn't accept money for shopping presumably because of pity.
All in all I have found that friends who keep in touch whether by whats app or phone are best.
I have noticed that family tend not to mention my husband but I would rather they did .The inquest is still to be held, delayed due to Covid,so perhaps things will be easier then .

Tweedle24 Sat 29-Aug-20 13:57:42

I would tend to avoid saying, “Let me know if there is anything I can do.”. It puts the onus on the bereaved, who might not know what they want, let alone ask for it. Humbertbear is quite right to offer something specific.

If the bereaved is on their own, the casserole or cake is usually welcome. Help with admin is also really welcome. I was lucky that my sister and daughter supported me in those things. Had they not been around, I would have appreciated someone else offering.

As has been said, a hug, a phone call, an offer of a cup of tea, they all help.

Many widows say that people ‘disappear’ after the funeral. Keep in touch after the first few weeks. That would be greatly appreciated

Keffie12 Sat 29-Aug-20 13:34:23

I was fortunate when my husband passed 2 and a half years ago. Having a loving supportive family and a wealth of friends from 2 fellowships who stayed by me, after and still are with me is more unusual than usual, I have come to find out. My voluntary work has also helped a great deal.

For me hugs were all I wanted. I didn't want platitudes and insincere/trite words. Oh I did get some. I just smiled through gritted teeth.

I think re food (that someone was surprised at who posted) it is a good idea. It is something I appreciated as I really could not be bothered with cooking it

I had a few people say "I would meet someone else" which they got short sharp shrift on. They haven't mentioned it since.

As I said to one woman "You have lost your mom I believe? When are you going out to find a new mom?"

She looked at me horrified! I smiled and walked off. Case rested ?

Quesera Sat 15-Aug-20 21:57:27

I’d just echo what others have said before me which is that phone calls or emails or visits count for so much more than Well, you know where I am if you need me. You’re in shock and you have to deal with notifying people, a funeral and things you never bargained on having to do ... you soon find out who your true friends really are, the ones who can be bothered.

grandmac Fri 14-Aug-20 21:20:23

After my husband died people kept asking/telling me to get a dog! As if that would be a replacement!

Jules59 Fri 14-Aug-20 19:51:37

I remember my Mum saying that one of the things she found difficult when my Dad died was that people she knew crossed the street as they didn’t know what to say to her.
Just be yourself, she’ll appreciate your support. You’re a kind person

Judy54 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:43:15

misty34 booking into a hotel with your Daughter and spending precious time together what a wonderful thing to do. I am sure it did you both the power of good. People mean well but it can be overwhelming and just turning up without ringing first is never a good idea. I read a short booklet some years ago written by a young Mother with cancer about what and what not to do and say. What stuck in my mind was when people said to her "if there is anything I can do" without being specific. Her reply was yes there are many things you can do to help me, take my children to school and pick them up, mow my lawn, do my shopping, cook me a meal etc. As you say misty34 it is important to listen to what people need and act accordingly.

Legs55 Thu 13-Aug-20 23:49:15

I was widowed 7 years ago aged 57, DH was 72 & died after a short terminal illness. Fortunately I had all the necessary paperwork to hand as I dealt with it & all the utility bills were in my name.

I had also chosen the Funeral Director & discussed the arrangements with him a couple of months before DH died.

Friends who rang me or dropped in were a great help. Don't be afraid of mentioning the deceased, it's often a comfort to talk about them.

People often think you only need support for a short time before & after the Funeral, it's in the months following that you need the contact with others to help you pick up your life, even a simple invitation to coffee is welcome.

It is very insensitive to say "oh you're young, you'll find some-one else", to the recently bereaved .

A few kind words, keeping up contact are so important, just being thoughtful is all that's needed.

twiglet77 Thu 13-Aug-20 23:17:14

I remember reading there can be a difference (perceived by the bereaved person) between someone asking, "How are you?" and "How are you today?", the latter implying a greater level of interest in their feelings, and acknowledging that their feelings today, this morning, this minute, may be very different from anything they felt yesterday or may feel tomorrow, next week, or next year.

nexus63 Thu 13-Aug-20 23:14:14

i was widowed at 39, my husband was 57, i got a lot of ...well you are young you can always find someone else, or well he was older than you, i was just happy for someone to say hi how are you, others crossed the road to avoid talking to me, i have had some neighbours who have died and i always stop and say hi, others i have put a note through the door with my number on it and a message to call anytime, the evenings can be the worse so a phone call sometimes helps.

misty34 Thu 13-Aug-20 23:07:17

When My husband died the phone never stopped ringing and people were turning up all day. I know they meant well but i couldn't handle it. My daughter 18 at the time felt the same.
I booked us both into a hotel with room service and we just talked, walked and helped each other. We had to wait for an inquest so the time between him leaving us and the funeral was around 2 weeks. This helped us in that interim period. We came back better able to make the decisions that needed sorting out.
Having said this everyone is different I think you need to listen to what people need Some want and need a lot of company. others don't.

Mancjules Thu 13-Aug-20 21:39:37

My lovely DH died during early lockdown so I was very isolated. My friends checked in with me by phone and msg regularly...especially first and last thing....that helped so much. Just knowing they were thinking of me and virtually holding my hand.

juneski Thu 13-Aug-20 20:33:50

As someone who has very recently lost my OH, I have really appreciated those neighbours who have told me they don't want to intrude, but have made it clear that they are there if I need anything or just want a socially distanced chat. There are a couple of neighbours who I feel have been avoiding me when they are normally quite chatty and that has made me feel like a bit of an outcast, but I realise it is because they probably feel awkward and don't know what to say, everyone is different. Just a quick, "how are you doing" in passing really does help.

DaisyL Thu 13-Aug-20 17:30:25

When my husband died 4 years ago his brother (who is quite gruff and outwardly unemotional) ran me every week for the first year just to see how I was doing. Other friends rang regularly too just to chat. I didn't want people hugging me or making me food, but I missed the daily chat about nothing that is part of marriage and luckily had many friends and family who kept in touch regularly and for a long time. Many people who were not so close lost contact after a month or two. I now try to make sure that as friends are widowed I keep ringing and emailing regularly. Fir the first month or two I was certainly in shock and I suspect most people are - however old or ill someone is it is difficult to believe they have gone. I still can't believe that I won't see my husband again and I'm not religious.

Billybob4491 Thu 13-Aug-20 17:28:35

As a "new" widow I suppose I am still in shock but have had wonderful support from family and friends and that is what has kept me going. Time will never erase the pain of loss though, what we had was very special.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 13-Aug-20 16:49:19

When my sister was widowed November last year - it didn't help that I was in hospital, but I was out in time to go the funeral - the live 100 miles away. I told her to remember I'm always at the end of the phone! She does have close family near her and they have been very helpful.

JaneRn Thu 13-Aug-20 16:08:23

@Rutheleanor
My husband died five years ago after a very long illness so I had had time to prepare myself for his death, as had friends and neighbours. I knew help and support was there if I needed it just as it always had been. Quite honestly, I would have been rather shocked if someone had come round offering food! Perhaps it is different if it is a sudden death.

I think the greatest help was when people were not shy about mentioning his name. In fact we still sometimes laugh about some of the things he said, and wonder what he would have made of today's world - or what I was doing to the house and garden!

My next door neighbour, young enough to be my daughter always gives me a bunch of flowers on the anniversary of his death and I think this is a really kind and thoughtful thing to do.

Patsy429 Thu 13-Aug-20 15:57:59

My nephew died tragically many years ago and I remember just being at the house, making numerous cups of tea and coffee, offering biscuits, but generally staying out of the way as visitors had come to see his parents, not me. Some people I didn't know anyway as they weren't in my circle of friends. I didn't think I had done very much until a number of people told me later how my DS had said she did not know how they would have managed dealing with everything without me making continual cups of tea. So please, if you get a chance, just be there, in the background offering help and a shoulder to cry on when needed.

Maremia Thu 13-Aug-20 15:57:26

So many kind people on here today. When a friend's son died, and I knew she would have lots of family support, I emailed her to say if she needed a 'break out' from the arrangements, to get in touch, and I would pick her up to take her out for a coffee. Okay, not so feasible just now, but she took me up on it.

SusieB50 Thu 13-Aug-20 15:38:38

When my DH died last December ( can it really be over 7 months ago ?) my dear friends were my rocks , they phoned or called in most days and we had lots of reminiscing and tears . I was lucky in that we could have a funeral before Covid 19. My close friends are still there for me as are my family, but many at the funeral haven’t been in touch as promised but that’s life I suppose .

sparklingsilver28 Thu 13-Aug-20 15:18:22

Jillybird: when my late husband died the thing I wanted was to be left alone to deal with my grief. And certainly not hugged or jollied along. One so called friend endorsed this when she commented "just forget about it and get on with life". Then there are those who make asinine remarks about a person they never really knew. Not a good idea because the response not always what you might expect to hear. My kind neighbour came with two fiction books in her hand and said "at your lowest moments I thought you might find these helpful". They were not books I would normally read, but the gesture was genuinely kind and well intended - and which I appreciated.

GrannyAnnie2010 Thu 13-Aug-20 14:44:29

What I found most comforting was a friend who phoned me on a Thursday night at eight, and we had a brief chat. At the end of the conversation, she said that she'd call again the following Thursday at eight, and she did - for the next six months.

How this helped was that, if there was anything I wanted to talk about, I knew that there was a sort of an appointment made with her so I didn't feel that I might be intruding on her time, nor she on mine.

She ended each call with "I'll call again next week, if that's ok with you". After six months, I replied, "Actually, why don't I call you next week if I need to chat?"

The worst thing ever was the never-ending question from people all around: "So what are you going to do (now that he's gone)?"

GreenGran78 Thu 13-Aug-20 14:41:07

Don’t be afraid to reminisce about he person who has died. Out of the many condolence cards I received I loved the ones that didn’t just say, “Sorry for your loss,” but mentioned little things that had happened between them, especially the funny ones. My DH and I have a silly sense of humour, and often got the giggles about something completely stupid..
He was almost 82 when he died, but two weeks later my fit and healthy neighbour died suddenly of a brain haemorrhage. He was only 61. Helping his wife get through the shock and pain helped me, too. She has no children or close relatives and didn’t know where to start. Although she is 20 years younger than me we are still good friends, and often talk about our DHs.
Everyone copes in different ways when deaths occur. Don’t be put off if you seem to be rebuffed. Sometimes the bereaved just want time to come to terms with what has happened. I remember waking up and wondering if it was real, or not. Just be quietly there for them when they need you.

knspol Thu 13-Aug-20 13:48:03

Lots of really good advice here from people with experience of this situation. Might `I also suggest biscuits, cake, tea and coffee for all the visitors who will be dropping round? I remember my mum getting quite stressed that she didn't have anything to offer visitors who came to offer condolences after my dad passed away. A trivial thing maybe but important to her.