Gransnet forums

Bereavement

French Obsequies

(4 Posts)
M0nica Wed 09-Sep-20 22:41:13

Thank you for your advice. We have sent a (hand) written letter expressing our sadness, which is real and tangible and are leaving it at that.

French regulations limit the number that can attend the funeral, so we wouldn't be able to attend even if we got to France.

Jaxjacky Tue 08-Sep-20 21:03:32

Agree with sodapop a few lines separately in a letter may be added to the condolence book

sodapop Tue 08-Sep-20 20:55:37

I think a card and short letter would be greatly appreciated MOnica I don't think there is a need for more than that,

M0nica Tue 08-Sep-20 20:38:26

I am not sure whether this is the right place to put this enquiry but I know a number of you live/have lived in France so I hope you can help me.

We have a holiday home in Normandy, which we have had for nearly 30 years, we have just heard that our neighbour has died. There are just the two houses and even though our neighbours, who were very elderly, 90ish, spoke no English and their heavily Norman-accented French was frequently inpenetrable we have had a mutually beneficial and very happy relationship for over 20 years.

What we are concerned about is a suitable way to express our sadness and sympathy. We will, obviously be sending a letter of condolence, but when a previous neighbour died we went over for the funeral and subsequent events, which we obviously cannot do this time.

Would it be acceptable to send them flowers, and are there individual flowers that would be considered appropriate or inappropriate? What are the normal, and possiblyNorman protocols for people like us, who would normally have attended the funeral but are unable to do so because of COVID.