Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Tragic end to a new beginning

(3 Posts)
Tangerine Tue 09-Mar-21 20:02:06

Yes, I think you could ask Citizens Advice but I think they may tell you that, if he's left a Will and only been with his new partner since July, the Will should stand.

I apologise if I am wrong.

Blossoming Tue 09-Mar-21 19:53:40

So very sad for you annab75. I can’t help regarding the will, perhaps Citizens Advice could help.

annab275 Tue 09-Mar-21 19:49:45

In July my brother came to see me, saying he was leaving his partner after many years as he was so unhappy. He had been having a platonic email exchange with an old school friend who lives several hundred miles away. Things had reached a head with his ex and he had stayed a week with the friend and had a wonderful time and was very happy. He had come back to tell his ex it was over and called on me on the way. Since then he has been very happy and he and the old school friend fell in love. His ex refused to speak to him and did not answer his calls and textsTragically he was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour just a few weeks ago and I let his ex know and he died just a few days ago. I managed to go and see him before he died. Of course his new partner is heartbroken as are his friends and family. A will has come to light written in 1993 and he has left everything to his former partner (the will was written before they started living together). He told his current partner that he wanted to change it but it seems the illness took over and he didn’t get the chance. It feels so unfair - he was very generous to his ex and paid off her mortgage, paid her a generous allowance every month and half the proceeds of his own house. I wish there was something I could do as his nearest surviving blood relative but I don’t suppose there is.