Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Prince Philips Funeral.

(165 Posts)
Crazygran Sat 17-Apr-21 16:06:44

What a wonderfully moving tribute .
It’s times like this that I am so very proud to be British/ Welsh.
I really wanted to give our dear Queen a Cwtch.
So hard for her to have to sit alone as many have done during pandemic.
Thank goodness she has a strong faith to give her support.
Rest in peace Prince Philip .

lemongrove Sun 18-Apr-21 12:27:13

ayse

I concur with the comments already made. What a fitting ceremony for PP and the family.

I’d go so far as to think that this scaled down event could be taken into the future so that the family can mourn in peace without all the press pushing and shoving for the best picture. It was so dignified.

I feel so sad for the Queen. Seventy three years is a life time of togetherness.

I agree Ayse I think it was much better having the whole funeral in the grounds of Windsor without the immediate family having to face huge crowds and the media.Being televised is enough, but I suppose custom and tradition demand more ceremony.I was all perfectly done, but it was edge of seat stuff when the coffin was being carried up all the steps.

Callistemon Sun 18-Apr-21 12:45:33

I was surprised that one was Prince Philips lady friend
Do you mean Countess Mountbatten, who is a great friend if the Queen too, Pippa?

She took over the running of Broadlands which has fond memories for HM and the Duke and, of course, is a relative by marriage representing the Mountbatten family.

LuckyFour Sun 18-Apr-21 12:51:29

A beautiful service in every way. Utterly gorgeous. I was moved and proud to be British. I'm so glad the weather was perfect it made everything look so fabulous. It must have impressed people wherever it was shown around the world.
I don't think anybody else does it better.

Sueki44 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:02:43

Apparently, as well as Prince Philip’s cap,gloves and whip on the seat of his driving coach, there was also a red sugar lump pot that he used to reward the ponies from after a drive. A lovely touch!

knspol Sun 18-Apr-21 13:05:29

So very difficult for the queen, what was so very private has to be shared with the world. I thought the whole event was done so well, so dignified and much more meaningful for being family only without all the usual pomp and heads of state etc

Callistemon Sun 18-Apr-21 13:10:27

I agree, it was extremely dignified and very fitting, probably more so than it would have been had restrictions not been in place.

H1954 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:17:57

Georgesgran

I haven’t seen it yet, but noted the comments about the Queen on her own, looking so small and alone. At my DH’s funeral last month, we were only allowed 15 mourners inside the Crematorium. Seats were laid out in twos, so DH’s sister could sit with me and both DDs could be seated with their husbands.
I wonder why the difference for PP?

We lost my FIL in March 2020, we were only allowed TEN mourners in the crematorium and we were not allowed to sit with our own partners/spouses.

H1954 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:22:08

Annaram1

It was a very moving funeral. Correct me if I am wrong but I did not see any of the BAME community taking part. That surprised me. Perhaps there were some among the soldiers outside?

There certainly was. One RAF serviceman with previous Army service was interviewed at length prior to the funeral.

Greyduster Sun 18-Apr-21 13:32:05

Yes. He was one of the commissioned officers I was referring to earlier.

Calendargirl Sun 18-Apr-21 13:35:38

Annaram1

I did wonder why the Queen's Lady in Waiting did not sit with her. They rode together in the car.

I quote from today’s Telegraph-

When they arrived at the chapel, Lady Susan, who is one of the Duke of Cambridge’s godparents, was on hand for Her Majesty, but out of sight.

Which suggests to me that if the Queen had been overcome or upset, the lady-in-waiting was close by to give support.

As always, our stoical Queen was amazing.

Calendargirl Sun 18-Apr-21 13:38:01

Did anyone else realise that the Duke died on Charles and Camilla’s wedding anniversary?

The date will always have mixed memories for them now.

Greyduster Sun 18-Apr-21 13:42:45

God, that's sad!

Lizzie44 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:45:17

A beautiful funeral carried out in accordance with Prince Philip's wishes. Nothing more anyone could wish for. As a Republican I have done my share of grumping in the days since PP's death was announced, but I was eating humble pie yesterday as I watched the service in its entirety.

EllanVannin Sun 18-Apr-21 13:46:51

D in Oz thought it was beautiful with weather to match, but I remarked that it was bitterly cold too.

tickingbird Sun 18-Apr-21 13:53:18

Very moving. Had me in tears and seeing the Queen sat on her own was unbearably sad. The world watching on too. He’s always been there for her and now he’s gone. Beautiful funeral on such a beautiful day.

Rozzy Sun 18-Apr-21 13:54:09

Callistemon, my daughter read this at my father's funeral (he was a ship's captain) It still brings tears to my eyes & the lines: And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;
are on his gravestone. Yesterday's funeral was deeply moving & like many, the sight of HRH's cap, gloves & pot of sugarlumps for the ponies in his carriage made me cry.

Treetops05 Sun 18-Apr-21 14:06:52

The Queen had to be seen to obey Covid restrictions, and again showed herself to be the same as every mourning wife...Plus her Lady in Waiting would have counted as one of the 30. The Queen made these decisions-and it must have been hard, but she knew what she was capable of

polly123 Sun 18-Apr-21 14:32:07

The lone piper slowly moving into the distance, symbolic and wonderfully moving.

Joesoap Sun 18-Apr-21 14:52:10

Such a moving tribute to Prince Phillip I felt so sorry for the Queen alone in her sorrow but she obeyed the rules which many haven’t done. I am so proud to be British but even more so on occasions like this the British know how to do things. My thought are with our lovely queen God Bless her

kwest Sun 18-Apr-21 15:00:33

Perfectly done.

timetogo2016 Sun 18-Apr-21 15:00:40

Precisely Grandmajet,my heart went out to her,i shall never forget how sad and alone she looked.

3nanny6 Sun 18-Apr-21 15:04:48

A wonderful funeral service done with faultless precision truly magnificent.
The Queen will be feeling heartbroken to have lost her husband of 73 years and with her lowered and bowed head in the chapel yesterday my heart went out to her.

I think the Royal Family done the British population proud yesterday and thank them for allowing us to share and watch the televised coverage of the funeral even though they are grieving.

dizzygran Sun 18-Apr-21 15:15:05

it was beautiful and very moving. let's hope that the family can put all the bad issues behind them and move on.

Dottynan Sun 18-Apr-21 15:26:08

Annaram1 why did you have to bring that on this thread. If you had cared to have looked for yourself you would have seen

3nanny6 Sun 18-Apr-21 15:52:28

I agree Dottynan, in fact I never even thought of something like that and just watched the televised programme.
Does it really matter or is it even relevant to bring that on the thread, in fact that is the sort of comment that blows things up in the first place.