Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Widowed at 52

(56 Posts)
Saetana Fri 31-Dec-21 19:47:46

Sadly my husband of 32 years died suddenly at our home on Christmas Day aged 56 - he had a number of health issues but there was no indication he was going to die so soon. I'm honestly worried about how I'm coping with it - apart from a few crying bouts (mainly when I read condolences, think about being a relatively young widow, or posting that he had died) its like nothing has happened. I'm really worried its going to hit me like a ton of bricks at some stage - I seem to be coping a bit too well if you know what I mean, albeit with the help of alcohol (not loads, just enough to keep functioning). Is this normal?

Saetana Tue 04-Jan-22 19:46:00

harrigran My sincere condolences to you for the loss of your husband - we never want to think the dreadful day will arrive and the pain is indescribable when it happens flowers

harrigran Mon 03-Jan-22 00:26:12

I am sorry for your loss. I know how you feel, having lost my husband in October. The first two weeks I was numb with grief and then felt as though someone was breaking me into pieces with a hammer and chisel.
I was unable to do any of the legal requirements like informing the authorities and relied on my DD and SIL to do the admin.
Take one day at a time and allow others to support you.

Saetana Sun 02-Jan-22 08:56:50

H1954 We don't have any children, by choice. I am getting support from my parents and sister in Lancashire by phone and my husband's family in Kent - we don't have any relatives close by but friends have been popping in. Sometimes its easier to be alone but I always have people at the other end of the phone I can talk to if I need to.

Saetana Sun 02-Jan-22 08:52:40

Thanks everyone - I think its the unexpected nature of his death that is making me feel unusually composed. I always knew he would die before me, being a few years older and having multiple health issues, but this was right out of the blue. It was quick and painless however, which is giving me and his family some comfort. Next week I need to start dealing with the administrative stuff - think I will need a stiff drink for that.

Hetty58 Sun 02-Jan-22 08:03:49

Saetana, so sad - and such a shock for you. Please don't concern yourself about how 'well' you're doing, will you?. You are free to grieve in your own way and to take as long as you want as well.

I was widowed at 42, but he lived for three years after he'd been given 'about a year' so it wasn't unexpected. He was 51.

It wasn't helpful (quite the opposite) to be told 'It hasn't hit you yet', conversely 'You're doing very well', - and even 'Why aren't you at home?' by people who, obviously, didn't have a clue what to say, so blurted out anything!

There is some kind of 'buffer', a numbness or cushioning, that allows us to function well for a while. (I was trapped in a thick glass bubble, sheltered from real life.) For me, though, it wasn't followed by a drastic change, just a gradual dawning into true grief.

There was no dreaded day when I suddenly couldn't cope, broke down, cried in public - or 'it' hit me. (I just felt invisibly, yet terribly wounded.) I could really have done without the predictions of it, though, the expectations, from others, about how my grief would or should be.

We get through it in our own, individual way. I was angry, hopping mad in fact, for ages. How dare he get sick and die, leaving me with four children to look after? That anger helped a lot.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 02-Jan-22 07:36:57

So very sorry for your terrible loss. I believe nature puts us into automatic mode when we are subjected to a trauma. There is really little sense of reality. It is normal and time will work it out. It is so recent, no wonder you are unable to face reality. Also there are things to attend to and so you go on but eventually things will clear and you will grieve. I do hope you have support from the family and friends.

heath480 Sun 02-Jan-22 02:00:06

Sorry for your loss.It also happened to me,there is a group called Widowed and Young. WAY.Might be helpful to you.

Doodle Sat 01-Jan-22 23:31:22

Sorry for your loss. ?

nexus63 Sat 01-Jan-22 22:06:03

i am so sorry to hear of your loss, i was widowed at 39 and my husband was 57, we had to have a post mortem because he died due to a doctors mistake. i think his death did not hit me properly for about 2 weeks, because of the delay in the funeral i cleared all his things and sort of carried on as normal (i had been his carer for 7 years and he had spent time in hospital off and on). it was the day of the funeral that i realised he has gone and was not coming back. i can't help you with coping but you will, just try and take each day as it comes, talk to your doctor if you feel you need some temporary help and talk to family, don't try to always put a brave face on, i had a t-shirt of my husbands and a little teddy that he used to take to hospital, i would cuddle that i cry and sometimes get angry that he left me but it did get easier with time. i was lucky and met someone who became a darling friend/partner and companion and i lost him back in may and feel i am going through it all again, i am 58 and sometimes wonder why me, i have had cancer twice in 3 years and have been left with long term problems but i just get on with it, my wee granny used to say if it's for you it won't go by you. look after yourself and take each day as it comes and please ask for help if you feel you need it.

nadateturbe Sat 01-Jan-22 22:00:09

So very sorry Saetana. Monica is right, don't worry, just feel as you wish. flowers

tickingbird Sat 01-Jan-22 21:52:24

So sorry to read this. You are probably in shock and the grief will come and when it does, surrender to it. It’s a natural process. You have my sympathy. Take care of yourself flowers

Shandy57 Sat 01-Jan-22 21:42:30

I'm so very sorry for your loss. My husband died suddenly and unexpectedly five years ago, please inbox me if I can be of any help to you.

Urmstongran Sat 01-Jan-22 21:22:54

*Condolences

Urmstongran Sat 01-Jan-22 21:22:23

? Saetana for your loss. Please accept my sincere apologies.

? for you too Deedaa.

SachaMac Sat 01-Jan-22 20:30:55

So very sorry to hear your sad news, you are probably still in a grief stricken daze. I lost my husband of over 40 years in August, he had been undergoing treatment and had been doing well so we weren't expecting to lose him so soon.
I think you run on adrenaline for a while and are also so busy with funeral arrangements and visits from family & friends etc you can feel quite detached from the harsh reality at first. It does helps to keep busy, accepting any kind offers of support and invitations out is a good idea but also try to have some quiet time to sit and try to absorb all what’s happened. I hope you have plenty of support to help you through this terribly sad time. It’s a hard road we travel and we will always miss our loved ones, as people keep saying to me, just take your time and grieve in your own way.

dragonfly46 Sat 01-Jan-22 10:12:19

So sorry to hear your news Saetana

V3ra Sat 01-Jan-22 10:06:26

Saetana I can't offer you any experiences to share but you have my every sympathy. Such sad news.

H1954 Sat 01-Jan-22 08:11:01

I am truly sorry for your loss Saetana, and I have to agree with many other comments, you must surely be in shock.
You don't mention anything about children or family, is there anyone you can reach out to? Do you have any very close friends who might offer support at this veryifficult time?
We all manage grief in different ways and until we actually lose someone we love there's no way of knowing how we are going to feel.
I lost my Mum quite suddenly but my Dad was still alive and needed support due to ill health, it was only after Dad died that I began grieving for Mum.
Please reach out to someone Saetana, it is important that you get the support you need and deserve.
Stay safe and look after yourself ?

M0nica Sat 01-Jan-22 07:43:08

Saetana my deepest sympathies for the death of your husband. Do not worry about how you feel, everyone grieves differently and those who look askance on you are insensitive.

I have not suffered the loss of DH, but my sister was killed in a car accident and I can remember how I felt then. Like you, I just felt numb, as if I was living in a dream, as if it hadn't happened. It was the funeral that made me suddenly realise, that her death was really real, but we are all different.

Do not worry about how you feel, just feel as you wish and do not feel you have to meet any time table or grieve in any particular way to satisfy other people.

BigBertha1 Sat 01-Jan-22 06:29:22

I am sorry sorry Saetana. My daughter lost her husband when she was 50 three years ago. She has found a bereavement group really helpful and she is now back in the world well as much as Covid allows. I hope you find some local support and help. Lots of people with experience to lean on. Best wishes

Shelbel Sat 01-Jan-22 06:18:50

Sorry for your loss. I think you're on shock right now. I hope you have plenty of support around you.

vegansrock Sat 01-Jan-22 04:38:09

This is so sad. You will still be in shock. You will be expecting to see him walk through the door or be sitting in his chair. This is normal. It takes a while to fully accept the reality of what has happened. Do whatever you need to do to get through the day one step at a time. Stay close to family and friends if possible- support is such a help. ?

CanadianGran Sat 01-Jan-22 03:22:58

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. We all grieve in different ways, so try not to worry about how you are coping, just get by from hour to hour, day to day. You can still find some joy in life with out guilt. I remember when my father died at a very young age, laughing at something someone said, and then feeling guilty about it. Don't beat yourself up, just accept that your emotions will be a roller coaster for some time.

Kim19 Sat 01-Jan-22 02:58:50

SO sad, S. ?. I had similar sudden and totally unexpected experience many years ago. Think I drifted in and out of a kind of fog for a long time. However, I'm still here and a different kind of 'happy'. Be kind to yourself and let friends and family in. I wish you well.

crazyH Sat 01-Jan-22 01:53:38

Too young to die . Try to get your courage from wherever you think it’s plentiful, be it your faith, be it your innate attributes or your resilience. So sorry for your loss