Gransnet forums

Books/book club

ebooks

(83 Posts)
cmcpne Thu 05-May-11 17:54:14

Hi
Does anyone out there 'borrow' ebooks from their local library? I do and think it's a great service (even though I can't work our how the whole software works!).
My only gripe is that you can only get 4 books at one time which just isn't enough for my holidays. I even tried setting up a separate digital account for my none ebook owner husband but it won't let me save more books to my reader.
Other than that I can't complain and read the whole of the Millenium series one after the other...and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Ellen80 Wed 10-Apr-19 16:58:49

That's Kobo....not Lobo!

Ellen80 Wed 10-Apr-19 16:57:26

Anyone wanting to download library books should consider a Lobo. There are other computer sites like Gutenberg and Open Library where you can download for free.

Yummygran Wed 24-Aug-11 15:21:35

There is no VAT on 'proper' books, but there is on ebooks. Don't know why that is. I had a kindle for Christmas, but still prefer real books. I love to see them on the bookshelf and enjoy taking them down and thumbing through them when I have time, it's not the same on a kindle.

Annobel Wed 24-Aug-11 11:19:26

I have downloaded Calibre but haven't had to use it yet. I've heard that it works well, but would also like to hear someone's more informed opinion.

Elegran Wed 24-Aug-11 10:33:56

Does the Kindle read any old format of ebook or does it have to be Kindle-specific?

One of the reviewers on Amazon was waxing lyrical about an application called Calibre, presumably for the PC, which you can use to convert other formats to Kindle. Anyone used it and know whether it is any good?

Elegran Wed 24-Aug-11 10:31:00

You do need to have a router to distribute your wi-fi connections, maybe that is what is wrong. It won't work straight to the PC.

I bought a Kindle for DH to use while we were on holiday. So far he has hardly got a look-in. I tell him I am finding out how it works so that I can explain to him.

Kennedy Wed 24-Aug-11 10:07:21

Well done Jangly. My kindle has just arrived and I'm still working out why
I can't connect to Wi-Fi.

ninnynanny Thu 07-Jul-11 18:44:08

I'm waiting for my new kindle from amazon to be delivered tomorrow I hope, a present from my lovely husband who was fed up with me carting a dozen books around with us when on holiday in our motorhome.

nanaval Mon 04-Jul-11 15:10:30

Yes Granieee I too have the pocket sized Sony and I love it. I like having the option to swipe the screen or press a button. I also find the dictionary useful to look up the odd word that I am not familiar with. The only disadvantage I find with the e- reader is not being able to share or lend a book.

Cath Tue 21-Jun-11 13:59:10

I don't think it has to be 'either/or' either. I own stacks of books, go the library and own a Kindle. I love them all. I have about 45 books on my Kindle and paid for about 6. The rest have been free downloads.

shysal Fri 17-Jun-11 20:50:29

I do most of my reading in the bath. Would a Kindle suffer in the moist atmosphere ?

I normally borrow about 12 books from the small local library and renew them on line until I have read them all. They do not do e books yet, but I don't suppose it will be long. I understand there have been some royalty problems with library use.

Granieee Fri 17-Jun-11 18:22:28

Hello all
I bought my husband a Sony ?350 for his birthday (the smaller sony)
He loves his books, but unfortunately he has severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and both of his hands are really deformed. I bought him a touch reader where he can just swipe the screen to get the next page, also its very thin and he can just about handle it (paperbacks were causing him a few problems)
I appreciate that e books can be a bit pricey, there are free ones around, mostly classics, also there is a site where you pay a modest amount every month , sorry cant remember the name (senior the moment)
He loves his reader.
Love and hugs

pompa Sat 11-Jun-11 18:36:28

For those that want MP3 audio books (I listen to them in the car) this site has loads of free downloads :- www.booksshouldbefree.com/

jogginggirl Fri 10-Jun-11 22:28:02

Oooh I love my Kindle .........away in France just now and on my 5th book - so much less weight than carrying " real" books with you........although........I struggle with not " owning" the paperbacks. Goes back to childhood ...... Never enough money for books and I hated reading the ones in the library - already handled urgh..........

Libradi Fri 10-Jun-11 21:51:35

I love my Kindle and would hate to be without it now, best present I ever had. I can't recommend it enough and if you are buying a cover, although expensive the leather lighted cover is brilliant.

I can recommend this site http://www.jungle-search.com/UK/ you get regular emails when free books are available, some of them are really good books (not all but they are free and I usually find one or two a week worth downloading).

Some of the kindle books are expensive when they first come out so I add them to my Amazon wish list and wait, very often they come down in price eventually.

As BecauseImWorthIt says, in the US they are able to 'lend' e books for the Kindle for a couple of weeks as long as the publisher allows it. I'm looking forward to the day that happens here as I have several friends who have a Kindle.

Being able to change the font size is great too, it means I don't have to wear reading glasses smile

Poppygran Fri 10-Jun-11 20:08:36

I can't add to the Kindle debate I'm afraid but can I vent my frustration with my MP3 player? I love reading and had been listening to Audio books on my little personal CD player in bed but invariably the batteries would run down so I bought an MP3 player specifically to download free audio books from the online digital library.

I can download them onto my computer no bother at all, when they are in order in Windows Media Player I then drag and drop them to creat a sync list, transfer that to the MP3 and then it all goes wrong. After chapter one I may get chapter 7 then chapter 4 then back to chapter one-------you get my drift shock I've had it since early April and haven't been able to listen to a book right through yet!

Carol Sun 29-May-11 08:16:42

I have had an eReader for 18 months and love it. I downloaded lots of free books, but started hunting for my favourites and found them very expensive - no 3 for 2 offers like you get in W H Smith and Waterstones! Then I discovered a site on Ebay which offers collections of ebooks, such as '7,500 thrillers for £6.99.' There aren't actually that many on these formatted CDs that have to be sent by post (legislation prevents them being purchased and downloaded), but there are more than I'll ever read in a lifetime. I download 5 at a time every few weeks, then delete them after reading, as they are safely held on CD. So far, I have read James Patterson, Nora Roberts, Jeffrey Deaver, Kathy Reichs, John Grisham and Tess Gerritson, and there are numerous books by each of these authors ready to dip into. I still receive hardback and paperback books for birthdays and Christmas, but can enjoy a good electronic read and get into the story without being conscious that it's on a piece of metal. Try it, all you doubters!

nanny1 Wed 18-May-11 05:56:43

:-)

SueDonim Tue 17-May-11 19:46:49

It doesn't have to be either/or, I don't think. I use both ebooks and RL books. I was an early adopter of Sony's eReader because I was unable to obtain books where I lived in Africa, with no book shops or postal service available.

But I still buy RL books in the UK because not everything in available as an ebook, the ebook is too pricey, I want to pass the book on or simply have it on the shelf.

Sometimes technology goes backwards, too. One of my sons is busy buying the vinyl LP versions of the music he has electronically! grin

pengran Tue 17-May-11 17:03:42

I love the feel of books and have hundreds at home. But for travelling I use my sony e-reader. I too think e books are very expensive to buy. I have just joined Manchester Library even though I don't live anywhere near. It is open to anyone. You can borrow up to 5 books at a time. I am about to download some books to take away with me. I'm very interested to see how the system works.

fullbloom2010 Sun 15-May-11 20:26:28

Hi,

I had a Kindle for Christmas and took it with me on our 3 month journey to America, Australia and Singapore. I have 3G so could download books where and as I wanted them. It was marvellous to have on the many plane journeys we made and I made a point of downloading all the free books and lots on special offers as they came up on Amazon. I love it but do have mixed feelings about it as I have loved books from when I could first read and would be very sorry to see them disappear. Only today I read in the newspaper that a school is going to get rid of most of its library and put in ebooks and laptops in their place and turn the space into other uses for the school. clo I also feel very sorry that so many bookshops are closing down as I love just going into them and browsing. I suppose we just have to accept that with progress you lose some things that are good. It would be a great pity if children lost the chance to have the joy of handling books and the thrill of all the lovely illustrations that they have now.

sulu Sun 15-May-11 20:24:10

Love e-books on my iPad. I download for free from 'TheLibrary' and from a site called Free Books, classics, banned books, loads but, but, I DO like books to touch, lend, reread, and study from. E-books are handy when hubster watching rugby, cricket, etc I can switch on, curl up and escape without having to traipse upstairs to get my paperback!!

Tippgirl Sun 15-May-11 20:21:53

I love books. I want to be able to browse around the bookshop, Waterstones or wherever and pick what I want. If we dont use bookshops they will go the same way as record shops. What an awful future! Those Kindle things are not the same as holding a book. Its too awful to contemplate.

bookclub Sun 15-May-11 19:51:04

Im sorry to say that i love the feel of the book in my hand while im reading and allways will . Dont get me wrong im not old fashion i have looked at the Kindle !!!!also i cannot find the kind of books i read anywereto put on it .

lulusmf Sun 15-May-11 16:36:50

Though I take the points made about the cost of Kindle downloads from Amazon there really are lots for free on Amazon, you can also get some bargains. Last week I got Silver for 69p and another recentish book for 17p!
I've had my Kindle since March and it has become my dearest possession. I am no longer able to hold the weight of a paperback or turn pages owing to my condition which affects my hands very badly. I have to spend long hours in bed or just sitting and I am now able to read again. I even have a clip light so I can read in the small hours without disturbing anyone. I pondered long and hard before buying it but so wished I had done so earlier. Yes, I do miss the feel and texture of paper - but my long empty hours are now full of pleasure again.