Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Mother's Milk

(24 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 06-Jan-12 12:08:09

The publishers of Mother's Milk, our Christmas books giveaway, are keen to know what gransnetters made of it. Did you love it, hate it? If you have any opinions, would be great to hear.

Annobel Fri 06-Jan-12 12:14:32

I haven't got into it yet Geraldine but will give you my opinion soon. The first chapter looks intriguing.

grannyactivist Fri 06-Jan-12 12:22:19

I shall read it as soon as I've finished the book I'm reading by kittylesters son. Will post feedback then.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 06-Jan-12 12:26:23

Ooh, what has Kittylester's son written? Perhaps I missed this on the forums? Or perhaps it is privileged information to protect anonymity?

(Not that I want to distract us from discussion of Mother's Milk)

Carol Fri 06-Jan-12 12:38:57

I started reading 'Mother's Milk' before Christmas and got diverted by my new Kindle. I'm a third of the way through it - it's interesting, but not the most riveting book I've read - will finish 'The Alienist' and then go back to it in a few days.

grannyactivist Fri 06-Jan-12 12:41:07

Kittylester's son, Matt Padmore, wrote: Halfway Gone - Life and Love after Stroke, available on Kindle for £3.57.

GoldenGran Fri 06-Jan-12 13:02:04

I have my copy ready to read next.

glammanana Fri 06-Jan-12 14:51:56

mothers milk is next on the agenda for me too,I am halfway through a Johanna Trollope at the moment and only get through a few pages a night before the zzzz's start appearing so am not the fastest reader in the world,I will post opinion as soon as I have read it.

greenmossgiel Fri 06-Jan-12 15:44:43

Haven't started my copy yet, either! Like Goldengran, it's next on my list.

Seventimesfive Fri 06-Jan-12 16:29:27

Like others I am in the middle of reading several books at the moment (I always have a few on the go, some for bedtime, some for the tube and others that need a bit more attention, for daytime) but it's next on the list - looks good!

JessM Sat 14-Jan-12 15:47:08

I am about to give up on Mothers Milk. First section is from point of view of an implausibly precocious child. Now we are into a new point of view - his self centred and extremely childish father who is having one of those new-dad crises brought on by second child. I have had enough of the man whinging.
Also I noticed that because one of the characters can't really speak for herself he suddenly goes off into a clunky back story/analysis just to fill us in. Felt like he had created this character in his head and then couldn't find ways of letting use learn about her without the narrator suddenly filling us in. Enough already. Good title rather wasted.
If anyone gets to the end and wants to persuade me to read the second half I await your persuadement...

Seventimesfive Sun 15-Jan-12 15:43:53

I am about half way through but flagging a bit. Thought the beginning was intriguing and original but finding the father rather trying. Will plod on to the end and let you know what I think.

greenmossgiel Mon 16-Jan-12 12:04:36

No, can't go any further! A five-year-old couldn't possibly carry out such conversations - I started to lose interest quite quickly, I'm afraid. That's two books I've given up on in as many days - very annoyed at myself, now! sad

Carol Mon 16-Jan-12 12:08:10

I finished a fascinating book called 'The Alienist' at weekend. It was about the beginnings of psychological profiling of a serial killer in the last 1890s. Brillant book.

I started on 'Mother's Milk' again last night - I had got a third of the way through it before I got my Kindle at Christmas. After reading such a good book, I lost interest when I had read a further few pages, and I won't finish this book now - disappointing!

GoldenGran Mon 16-Jan-12 12:42:19

Am trying but a. Great eager of throwing t across the room. That five year old is unbelievable.

Seventimesfive Mon 16-Jan-12 13:37:01

GoldenGran Wait until you get to the younger child - if you get that far!

GoldenGran Mon 16-Jan-12 13:38:30

Will try. Sorry about my typos, have done too many recently, I don't check them enough.

JessM Mon 16-Jan-12 13:50:52

green you're beating up on yourself. Maybe it is a sign of mature judgement and discrimination. Like the ability to decide a performance (a play or something) is not for you, and deciding to beat a retreat in the interval smile

Annobel Mon 16-Jan-12 14:10:59

I haven't been able to read it because my vision has been a bit blurred. Kindle has been a godsend in the past two weeks with its ability to change the size of the font.

greenmossgiel Mon 16-Jan-12 15:26:57

JessM - you're right, of course! I feel better already, and will head for the library tomorrow! grin

JessM Mon 16-Jan-12 21:03:23

I'm reading the Help now and loving it &green - and have you sorted yourself an alternative nest to sleep in...? smile

Mishap Mon 16-Jan-12 22:04:39

I have read other stuff by St Aubyn and can find nothing to like about any of it - sorry! - very grateful for sending of book though.

greenmossgiel Mon 16-Jan-12 22:11:59

JessM - my little nest is in the front room, where there is a bed which has a 'build-up' of quilts! I have to store all of the spare duvets on there, as I've nowhere else to keep them. Hence, when I have to creep in there for a decent night's sleep, I sink into a nice deep, soft bed. On top of it is a collection of throws and a big fat eiderdown.....yes, I think I'm sorted!! wink

JessM Tue 17-Jan-12 16:56:44

Oh good green that sounds snuggly.