Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What does middle class mean to you?

(296 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Oct-12 15:08:10

We're giving away 25 copies of a new book, The Middle Class ABC to gransnetters who post on this thread.

When you think middle class, is it those annoying Chelsea tractors that come to mind, or organic markets selling food covered in mud for twice the price, or girls with long flicky hair? (You can probably tell we're not taking this very seriously.)

We'll be drawing the winners at random on 9 November.

Flowerofthewest Fri 22-Feb-13 12:07:24

I did this with Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. Really irritated him :D

Flowerofthewest Fri 22-Feb-13 12:06:27

merlotan question would that make a small seabird - storm petrel - middles class? They smell very strongly of wax jackets smile

Greatnan Fri 22-Feb-13 05:08:17

Returning to the original post - middle class means nothing to me. It is undefined and probably undefinable. I don't give a toss how people want to label themselves.
I am intrigued by MargatetX's post saying that there are reservations in NZ for people of white European Stock. Where?

Eloethan Thu 21-Feb-13 23:57:29

People who are under the impression that, although they have to work for a living, they are not working class.

NannaB Tue 27-Nov-12 07:30:43

I'm still waiting for mine!

jeni Sat 24-Nov-12 12:32:33

Mine has JUST arrived. Thankyou very much indeed!

jO5 Sat 24-Nov-12 11:51:02

Received my book this morning. Thank you very much! Looks good. smile

NannaB Wed 14-Nov-12 09:29:04

Very surprised I won the book as I hadn't realised there was going to be a draw! At least I will be able to see if it is BETTER than the comments on this forum. Thank you in advance Gransnet and I look forwiard to receiving my copy.

Deedaa Mon 12-Nov-12 21:35:26

Still waiting for my copy so obviously can't leave the house at the moment in case I do something wrong! One would so hate to think one was lowering the tone grin

nanaej Mon 12-Nov-12 21:04:03

gracesmum grin
jeni hmm

jeni Mon 12-Nov-12 20:17:57

One of my neighbours flies the union flag outside her house when Liam Fox comes to visit her to 'take tea' with her and like deluded persuaded ladies!sad

gracesmum Mon 12-Nov-12 20:09:46

Lady of the house speaking - my bunting for DD's wedding was not merely middle class, it was top class!!! smile

nanaej Mon 12-Nov-12 19:59:16

Cath Kitsdon bunting may be middle class but street party and school fair and church fete bunting has been part of everyone's experience! How very silly!

Elegran Mon 12-Nov-12 19:43:09

I didn't know bunting was middle class either. What about flags? During WW2, my gran would put up strings of union flags whenever one of her two sons was coming home on leave. The flags were communally owned with the neighbours, and could be seen on different house fronts as different soldiers came home, embarrassing different young men in turn. This was in a very working class street.

gracesmum Mon 12-Nov-12 19:38:28

Loving my copy too! I never knew bunting was middle class - hilarious! It would make a great Christmas pressie for so many people, but some could be offended while others might be flattered!

Marelli Mon 12-Nov-12 19:35:17

Loving it! Think I might pop it in DD's present bag as well - she's just the one to really appreciate it, her mother's daughter if ever there was one wink!

jeni Mon 12-Nov-12 19:20:17

Mine hasn't come yet?

merlotgran Mon 12-Nov-12 19:12:58

I'm really enjoying this book. DH is pissed off with loving me following him around reading bits of it REALLY LOUDLY.

I wonder why I thought of Gransnet when I read this?

Daily Mail....The Royal Family fanzine is sneered at by everyone in public and yet in private we are devouring it as it is one of the only papers with a healthy circulation. It is mainly read by women and the few men who buy it pretend it's for the extensive sports coverage and the Fred Basset cartoon which has been running for 50 years (350 in dog years) and is yet to make anyone laugh consistantly hilarious. grin

A great Christmas pressie for DD2 I think.

annodomini Sat 10-Nov-12 17:30:19

Didn't get one (sniff!), but downloaded some pages to the Kindle. Yes - it did sound like a good laugh!

merlotgran Sat 10-Nov-12 16:54:08

Mine arrived this morning as well. A good giggle and love the illustrations. Thank you Gransnet.

MiceElf Sat 10-Nov-12 13:00:56

Mine's come too. I particulary like the entry on Sunday Papers. Someone has been eavesdropping in my house.

Marelli Sat 10-Nov-12 12:48:22

Thank you so much for my book which arrived this morning! Also received Jojo Moyles' novel as well, in the same delivery - thanks again, very much! smile.

petallus Sat 10-Nov-12 12:33:14

My free book arrived this morning also.

Looking forward to reading it later today.

whenim64 Sat 10-Nov-12 10:09:46

My free book 'The Middle Class' has arrived with this morning's post. Thanks Gransnet! I've ready had a good giggle at some of the entries. Very funny grin

jeni Fri 02-Nov-12 20:28:58

The one in the house of the Vetii in Pompeii ( kept under armed guard in a small room off the kitchen) was Definetly NOT CIRCUMSISED! It's a copy of that one I want!
He'd be proudly displayed in the front of the fireplace!