Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Newlyweds

(53 Posts)
Gorki Sun 14-Apr-13 21:31:06

I am really enjoying this book. It is fascinating to read, the characters and the plot are interesting and it is very easy to have empathy with Amina in particular. I really want to see how their relationship develops. Thank you Gransnet for my copy.

j08 Sat 04-May-13 10:41:11

I ask which you find most satisfying to write, short stories or a complete novel?

In your previous book, Lucky Girls, you have a depressed woman say, I thought of going to bed, but what I really wanted was to be inside the bed — inside the mattress, where it was warm and dense and silent, with the stuffing packed around my arms and legs.” Have you ever been depressed? I think you must have been to have written that.

j08 Sat 04-May-13 10:42:07

Should have read "Can I ask" hmm

katesheilaskate Sat 04-May-13 17:07:24

Great book, with insights into Bangladesh and its people and almost foretells what has just happened in a ready wear garment factory! Nell demonstrates great skill in getting the reader to think like some of the people in the book: no mean feat.

Did Nell ask Starbucks for permission to write about them - and has she been given free coffee there for life? If not, she should be.

matson Sat 04-May-13 17:29:44

sorry, I have to admit I have give up!, just couldn,t get into it which is unusual as once I start a book I like to finish it. I did struggle with the small print, I may give it another go at a later date x

LullyDully Sat 04-May-13 18:30:06

it is worth getting into as the story makes more sense half way through and the status quo is challenged

happysouls Sat 04-May-13 19:02:52

Thanks Gransnet for the book, I've just finished reading it. The Newlyweds was a fascinating insight into another culture and all of the hardships and dilemmas faced. I don't want to say too much in case of giving things away! The two main characters were very real, likable but not perfect. I found the story pretty sad really and like others would like to know if there is a further book planned or even if not does Ms Freudenberger have the future for these characters decided in her head. Its a big responsibility knowing you have the power to make people live happily ever after...or not!

Grandmanorm Sun 05-May-13 11:19:13

I finished the book last night. I found it slow at the beginning then couldn't wait to read how it finished. I too would like a sequel, so my question is the same as others, will there be one?
Thank you Gransnet for this book as it is not the usual kind I would have bought myself.

dustyangel Tue 07-May-13 23:55:10

Ooooh! DH just arrived back from UK with a copy of The Newlyweds. He thought I'd ordered it and jettisoned the wrapping to save weight. I can only presume I won it. Thankyou so much GNHQ. I've managed not to read any of the comments and it is so exciting to have a nice,new,real book to read. I'm off to enter some more competitions. Well,maybe in the morning.

firenze Wed 08-May-13 09:15:42

I am interested in whether you kept in touch with the woman you met on the aeroplane, who inspired Amina's story?

getmehrt Wed 08-May-13 09:20:43

I loved both the worlds you created in the book. I was completely engrossed in Rochester and didn't want to leave to go to Bangladesh - but then I loved that as well.

I wondered if you had special techniques you use to create a sense of place and atmosphere and if you find that easy to do?

downwithcupcakes Wed 08-May-13 09:22:38

I suppose Amina made the right decision for the book (otherwise it might have been in danger of turning into a romance, and you are a Serious Novelist) but do you think she made the right decision for her?

extremesport Wed 08-May-13 09:25:43

I admired your portrait of George, partly because he was so perplexing - flat, loathsome and sympathetic all at once. I wondered where he came from? Do you think there are actually men like him, who are so pragmatic but also so kind?

And a slightly different question, pragmatism seems to be the quality that wins out in the book. it is not a very American value (or so it seems to us: Americans so often seem idealistic). Do you think it's underrrated?

topshot Wed 08-May-13 09:27:45

I was intrigued by Kim. Were you trying to make a point through her about the limits to absorbing yourself in another culture and how arrogant and inept people can seem when they try to do that?

LullyDully Wed 08-May-13 10:00:19

I enjoyed the book and I was very surprised at the turn it took when Amina went to Bangladesh. I felt left in limbo at the end, I do not see how her parents can settle in to the USA at their age and with all their problems. I would also be interested to see how the rocky marriage can progress, and if Kim remains trapped. Interesting.

flopsybunny Wed 08-May-13 10:43:02

Several of your stories have involved cultural clashes, I think. Do you think this is one of the great contemporary issues? We are always bumping up against people with different values from us these days and it's difficult to know how to understand them. Will you go on writing about this subject?

katykat Wed 08-May-13 11:03:18

Hello Nell - I really enjoyed the book - but also found it moving and rather sad (the sadness for me came from the small detail as much as the bigger picture)

Were you tempted at any point to give Amina an easier time?

MoonlightSonata Wed 08-May-13 11:04:06

Your portrait of Amina is very vivid - it was very easy to sympathise with her, even when she made mistakes.

How do you feel that the book would have been different if another character had been the protagonist - if it was told from the viewpoint of Kim, George or Nasir, for instance?

loobiloo Wed 08-May-13 11:05:46

There is no doubt that cultural differences can have a huge effect on a marriage - but often great positives as well as tricker situations. Do you have personal experience of this? I wondered whether there was anything in particular that had made you write about it

j08 Wed 08-May-13 12:35:50

It goes soggy when left out in the rain. And the cover curls.

Stansgran Wed 08-May-13 17:55:47

And when you read in a hot steamy bath.

j08 Thu 09-May-13 09:13:37

Have given up. Combination of wet pages and boredom. #toomuch

Gorki Thu 09-May-13 09:47:28

I'm glad I am not the only one to be disappointed in this book. I quite enjoyed the part set in Rochester but I was bored by the latter part in Bangladesh. I found it difficult to concentrate, and thus got very confused with all the minor characters. OK if you have the time to read it over a couple of dasy possibly but not spread out over 3 weeks as I did.

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-May-13 17:49:37

I'm feeling guilty because I was lucky enough to get a free copy of the book - thank you Gransnet - but have taken an age to finish it. I didn't really enjoy it, but do agree with those who said it picks up later on. Unlike Gorki, I preferred the Bangladesh section to the earlier story set in Rochester, which I found very bland (even slower than the Archers IMHO, j08!). I'm glad I've missed the Q & A session, as I'd hate to give negative feedback to an author who's obviously put her all into her book.

janeainsworth Mon 20-May-13 16:38:45

I've only just finished reading the book, because I was already reading something else when it arrived.
I really enjoyed it, and empathised very much with the difficulties of both going to a new country, and then returning to one's own and viewing it through new eyes, as an outsider.
I did have one problem with the writing style and that was the constant and to me very irritating use of contractions not within the dialogue, eg 'Amina would've gone to the mall' instead of 'would have'. It may have been deliberate but I didn't like it.

j08 Mon 20-May-13 18:08:29

Flip me!!!

There's reading, and then there's reading!