Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Help me choose a Kindle!

(19 Posts)
specki4eyes Sun 14-Apr-13 21:54:45

I sat next to a woman on the plane who had a Kindle and we got talking about it. She recommended Amazon Kindle - ok thats fine but can anyone give me advice about what Kindle to get? There seem to be several models and I can't make head nor tail of what it all means.

annodomini Sun 14-Apr-13 22:12:39

I've got one of the older keyboard models still going strong after almost two years. A friend speaks highly of the paper-white model.

FlicketyB Sun 14-Apr-13 22:19:58

Get either the one with the full keyboard, like the one annodomini recommends or get the touch screen version.

I have the middle version, with an on screen keyboard that is operated by tapping a directional button. It is INFURIATING. Best friend, who has keyboard and DH, who has touch screen are very happy. I would prefer to have what either of them has.

yogagran Sun 14-Apr-13 22:21:34

Like anno I've got one of the old keyboard ones. I really like it and have no complaints at all. I'm glad I've got one with a keyboard as you can easily search for things. For example if you come across a character in the book that you can't remember who it is (happens frequently to me!), you can type in the name and it will come up with all the references to that name in chronological order.
Kindles have evolved quite a bit since I got mine so I can't possibly comment on the newer ones - sorry!

j08 Sun 14-Apr-13 22:25:20

I'm not sure you can still get the keyboard one. The paperwhite 3G one has a built-in light which would be useful for reading in bed without disturbing anyone you happen to be sleeping with. But I have heard that the paperwhite is a bit hard on the eyes.

I think, if it's just for daytime reading, the £69 one is good. The grey background is more restful on the eyes. (bought it for DD and she is happy with it)

j08 Sun 14-Apr-13 22:28:52

The touch-screen one is the Kindle Fire. A different thing altogether, though you still get all your books on it. It is a tablet, with the internet, apps etc. And you can watch films and i-player on it.

Although it is an e-reader it is not thought highly of for reading as the reflective screen is hard upon the eyes.

FlicketyB Mon 15-Apr-13 15:44:57

DH and DD both have touch screen Kindles. They are NOT Kindle Fires. They are Kindles identical with mine but operated by touching the screen. They bought them before the Kindle Fire was launched.

j08 Mon 15-Apr-13 17:36:21

Oh yes! The Paperwhite is touchscreen! Sorry. not well thought of here though

Eleanorre Mon 15-Apr-13 21:46:57

I bought the Kindle paperwhite and I love it. You can sit by the pool on holiday and not get a glare and you can read it in bed with the light out . What more can you ask. I must admit I spend more on e-books now than I did on paper book but they only cost about 99p from Amazon's Daily Deal .
It is lovely to have a stock of books ready to read and never run out

JessM Tue 16-Apr-13 04:46:02

I have one with a cover with built in light which is great for reading in the dark.
My DH has one with a backlit screen that casts as strange reflection inside my glasses.

MrsJamJam Tue 16-Apr-13 07:28:42

I have the original with the keyboard, still going strong after three years. DS1 has just got himself the paperwhite and I am envious of the touchscreen. Go for the 3g version, then you can buy books wherever you are in the world - the delivery from amazon to your kindle is free, even when lying on a greek beach. No idea how that works, but it certainly feeds my book buying habit. The kindle fire is a tablet computer, not just an ereader, and DS says is not much good as either, trying to hardnto be all things to all men.

feetlebaum Tue 16-Apr-13 21:52:47

The keyboard one has gone - You could go for a Kindle Fire - you could access Gransnet with one of those...

My old keyboard job is still going strong, too...

specki4eyes Sat 20-Apr-13 11:05:30

Thanks all - so I got a Paperwhite 3g and love it - I don't agree with that article J08 - if those are deemed to be 'problems' they want to get a life! I didn't want internet access - I just want to be able to read.....and read..........and read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrannyGear Sat 20-Apr-13 23:00:20

I was going to get a Kindle after I'd tried my daughter's Kindle for a short time. Then I investigated other e-readerrs and settled for a Kobo.
One thing that put me off Kindle was the link to Amazon and on the
leaflet about Kindle in quite tiny print at the bottom of the page it says "You can opt out of personalised offers and sponsored screensavers for £10 after registering your device." In other words I am expected to pay them to stop their adverts cluttering up my e-reader. They should pay me for this free and unwanted advertising!

annemac101 Fri 03-May-13 16:33:22

I have the old type with the keyboard had it for quite a few years and its great.I 'vie never had any advertising on it,not that Ive noticed. I must say that I do now read most books on my ipad but kindle ids great for holidays reading in sunshine and restful on the eyes. It's great not having to decide which books to take way with me I just take them all on kindle.

grandimars Fri 03-May-13 16:38:10

I too have the original keyboard version,and it's fine and still going strong. I've never had an advert on it. I also have the Kindle app on my Google Nexus 7 but I find the Kindle screen easier to read in reduced or bright light.

Aka Fri 03-May-13 18:01:12

I upgraded from the Kindle Touch to the Kindle Fire. Not impressed. Too heavy. Re the screen. If you do most of your reading in bright light then don't go for the Kindle Fire as it is reflects badly whereas the Kindle Touch and the basic Kindle are excellent in sunlight.
But then I can use the Fire to access the Internet, though it's slower than an iPad.

Stansgran Sat 04-May-13 09:08:34

So when did three years old become old for my kindle ? I am expecting my keyboard kindle to see me out and I want another twenty years .

broomsticks Tue 07-May-13 09:52:09

I agree with Aka. I find the kindle fire is very heavy and fiddly to use. It does give you colour and internet access of course but I much prefer my old kindle. (The basic model).