Gransnet forums

Books/book club

escapism

(23 Posts)
Aka Tue 25-Jun-13 09:17:48

Bichonmad I also had a Bichon once and it was the craziest little thing if ever owned. He used to sit on his back legs and wave his paws frantically at me if he wanted to play.

j08 Tue 25-Jun-13 09:12:43

bichonmad Sorry the walk didn't help. Think we all need a bit of this sunshine

I think you would enjoy Game of Thrones. I didn't watch much of the tv series as I hate tv to spoil the books. Like to do my own imagining of the characters. Perhaps I should give it a try after I've read the books.

Cheer up for Chatham. smile

dorsetpennt Tue 25-Jun-13 08:57:25

wisewoman has suggested the Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and she is right it is a lovely book. No sex or violence, unless you are looking for that sort of book, and it is just pure sweetness and joy. Sorry you feel sad. When I had the dogs a walk along the beach did help. Now you've made me sad as I miss my dogs so much. sad

gracesmum Tue 25-Jun-13 08:16:31

Woof!smile

bichonmad Tue 25-Jun-13 08:12:03

i tried the walk jo8 with my dogs and camera usually that works but not this time and i love game of thrones on tv but i might try the books,as for all the suggestions im going to try them all in turn thank you so much grin

Aka Mon 24-Jun-13 23:37:38

Greyhounds

Aka Mon 24-Jun-13 23:32:32

I gave all my books away to charity shops when I moved house. We actually agree on something else Grace apart from Georgette Heyer. ??????

gracesmum Mon 24-Jun-13 23:29:36

£5.99 each on Kindle - only if you are like me, check which ones you have first grin

gracesmum Mon 24-Jun-13 23:28:47

We agree on something then! smile

Aka Mon 24-Jun-13 23:28:25

In fact I just might re-read her...if available in Kindle.

Aka Mon 24-Jun-13 23:27:46

I certainly enjoyed Georgette Heyer too.

gracesmum Mon 24-Jun-13 23:24:40

I like Georgette Heyer for sheer escapism - she was surprisingly feminist in her outlook and in many of her heroines, so not just bodice-ripping tosh! Alternatively Joanna Trollope or Jilly Cooper would do it for me!

baubles Mon 24-Jun-13 20:42:30

here

baubles Mon 24-Jun-13 20:40:53

bichonmad I have days like that. I hope you are feeling a little better now.

Oh & I'm another Anne Tyler fan. Have a look at the book thread for more ideas.

wisewoman Mon 24-Jun-13 20:35:36

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry or for a real "warm bath" of a book you can't beat Maeve Binchy or Rosamund Pilcher. You can switch off totally and just immerse yourself. While my husband was in hospital and very unwell I just read Maeve Binchy - always happy endings! Hope you feel better soon.

mollie Mon 24-Jun-13 18:26:44

But I Told You Last Year That I Loved You by Sue Hepworth was a little gem I discovered recently. I'd say it came under the heading of Hen Lit. I'm a detective story lover but this just fitted that 'something different' need that creeps up now and again...

annodomini Mon 24-Jun-13 18:12:56

That's an Anne Tyler one I haven't read. I could do with a break from detective fiction. I like her style and her subject matter.

Eloethan Mon 24-Jun-13 18:09:38

"Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant" - Anne Tyler. She "paints" characters beautifully.

On holiday in Portugal recently, my nineteen year old grandson asked me if I had a book he could read. I had taken "Dinner ..." to re-read as I enjoy Anne Tyler's writing so much but I offered it to him. I wondered if a teenage boy would appreciate a "quiet and thoughtful" book that is largely character driven and set over a number of years. He finished it within two days and thoroughly enjoyed it - even discussing some of the characters with me.

I would also recommend "Breathing Lessons", "Saint Maybe" and "The Accidental Tourist". Although the last two are sad in places, they are ultimately very life-affirming and satisfying reads.

annodomini Mon 24-Jun-13 11:28:17

bichonmad, have you read 'The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared'? A good read and entertaining.

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 11:12:06

Actually, Game of Thrones is doing it for me. But it might not be your genre.

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 11:09:13

wink !

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 11:08:51

I think you would be better off going for a long walk. (nods head sagely)

bichonmad Mon 24-Jun-13 11:02:30

i am feeling very sad today i would love a book i can get lost in, that isnt sad, or true,and has a happy ending,pure fiction in fact,any suggestions please smile