Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Have you heard about this book that is shooting into the best sellers list...

(41 Posts)
j08 Fri 05-Jul-13 08:44:18

...48 years after it was published.

Ian McEwan was just raving about it on the Today prog. Apparently, it was considered fairly nondescript at the time of publication, but someone (don't know who) has read it recently and it seems set to become huge!

It is only £2.99 on Kindle. (other versions are available) everyone's summer reading?

specki4eyes Sat 14-Sep-13 09:15:57

I really enjoyed this book - a life and death thoroughly and interestingly explained. As someone once said to me - "you can't beat a good owd'un"

Ariadne Fri 30-Aug-13 16:27:54

Haven't heard of Tom Canty, bootie, but will have a look. Oh, and welcome!

petallus Fri 30-Aug-13 16:16:32

I'm a third of the way through Stoner having seen it mentioned somewhere else.

Yes, it's beautifully written, well worth reading.

bootie41 Fri 30-Aug-13 15:53:44

Hi I am new to this forum so hellow to everyone,
have any of you read tom cantys first book, clapham lights I couldn't put it down, it was so easy to read, and such a laugh. I emailed him to thank him and told him I would let others know about it , I got a nice reply from him.

bookdreamer Mon 29-Jul-13 08:59:38

Love this book so thanks J08. Very moving and beautifully written.

j08 Sat 27-Jul-13 19:51:05

smile

Hunt Sat 27-Jul-13 18:34:51

I also found Stoner moving.It was a very well rounded book-most satisfying.

j08 Sat 27-Jul-13 13:14:49

So glad I put it on here Mishap. Good that you enjoyed it. smile

Mishap Sat 27-Jul-13 13:05:41

I have just finished reading Stoner. It is indeed a remarkable book, and the prose is immaculate. To start with I found it so bleak that I almost put it down; but I persevered and am glad that I did. The bleakness of this man's life hides a sort of celebration of ordinary people leading fairly ordinary lives. It it heartening in its own way, pinpointing the importance and value of each of us as we plough our way through life with its and our imperfections. I found it profoundly moving at the end.

j08 Wed 17-Jul-13 13:29:49

It still comes up with the Kindle version (first in the list) at £2.99 specki.

j08 Wed 17-Jul-13 13:28:20

SuperNana10 if you click on "everyone's summer reading" in the original post, that will take you straight through to the book. smile

The link is blue but you would hardly know it. It doesn't show up enough. hmm

specki4eyes Wed 17-Jul-13 10:49:06

thanks when I did detect this but there were 3 books in the list, none of which at the kindle price quoted, so I thought I must be on the wrong tack.

SuperNana10 Wed 17-Jul-13 10:33:25

What is the name of the book you are discussing?

whenim64 Wed 17-Jul-13 10:15:07

Easy to miss the link in the OP, if the blue oesn't show up well. It's Stoner, by John L Willams, Specki

specki4eyes Wed 17-Jul-13 09:56:03

Am I thick, stupid or going mad? Will someone say what the title of this book is please?

j08 Tue 16-Jul-13 19:43:35

That's alright squaredog. You're very welcome. confused

squaredog Tue 16-Jul-13 18:12:54

Sorry for the 'lateness', but just returned to Gransnet after spending a MAMMOTH amount of time on Mumsnet........oohhh.....

But so little now in common darlings........

Anyway, back to the book......thanks SO much for the 'nod'. (Wouldn't have got THAT over there, now would I?)

The dilemma is always for me, Kindle or book. MUCH prefer books darlings, but the price in comparison to the Kindles' is so off-putting. I SO love the feel of a book in my hand. Got yer moneys worth, innit?

I'm a dreadfully slow reader, cos I'm faffing around at so much, but will report back.

Thanks once again x

hummingbird Sun 14-Jul-13 20:45:31

I've read it (Stoner), and really enjoyed it. I'm a great Persephone books fan too - have you tried Dorothy Whipple, Stansgran? I love the grey covers, and the feel of the the pages.

j08 Sun 14-Jul-13 20:08:14

But I'm gonna feel really bad if no one likes it and I've made them waste their money! [wrings hands]

Mishap Sun 14-Jul-13 20:03:14

JO8 you should work for amazon! - I too have just downloaded it, having intended to a few weeks ago when I first read about it. You jogged my memory.

annodomini Sun 14-Jul-13 18:37:34

I agree, Ariadne The style does reflect the content and the characters, none of whom attract me. I found the plot pedestrian, the characters dull and the style unobtrusive. I'd probably give myself a poor mark for that judgement! Oh and, by the way, I did the unforgivable and went to the end without reading the whole thing! blush Please don't let me put you off. Oh, sorry, I might already have done that...

petallus Sun 07-Jul-13 12:26:22

I've just risked a few quid on it. Sounds promising.

Ariadne Sun 07-Jul-13 10:17:08

It's not grabbing me either, gracesmum! But if I were teaching it, I'd say that the style exactly reflects the content (that's a compliment to it, BTW). However, I stopped last night and moved to something lighter and easier - my brain is in somnolent mode, I think! sunshine

dorsetpennt Sun 07-Jul-13 10:12:36

I've read several 'old' books lately, love Virago Press for publishing so many. Just read 'Our Spoons Came from Woolworths' by Barbara Comyns a delightful quirky book, also Rumer Godden's Greengage Summer. Amazon has so many different links to bookstores that sell old copies of books so I often manage to track down an ols favourite.

annodomini Sun 07-Jul-13 10:05:56

I will read it when I've finished The Cleaner and discuss it with you Gmum.