Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Mr Lynch's Holiday

(5 Posts)
Bags Wed 31-Jul-13 07:20:43

by Catherine O'Flynn.

I was lucky enough to get a free copy of this from Gransnet. It has taken me a while to get into it, but that doesn't mean a lot as it takes me a while to get into any fiction nowadays. The fact that I have 'got into' the story by page one hundred is a good sign, and beyond there I'm finding some real gems smile

Is anyone else reading it?

glassortwo Wed 31-Jul-13 08:07:00

Morning bags I got a copy too, but its still in the pile on the bedside table waiting to start. smile

Bags Wed 31-Jul-13 09:33:42

It's a slow start, which is fine, but you really want to know what happens to the characters. That's a good sign in a story smile

TripFiction Fri 30-Aug-13 14:49:36

Hello everyone:

I have now managed to read Mr Lynch's Holiday.

TripFiction Mon 02-Sep-13 19:45:07

A truly charming novel that transports the reader to the Almeria/Andalusia region of Spain.To the urbanisation of Lomaverde, to be precise, where a mix of expats has bought property with beautiful views across the landscape. But the beauty stops there. This is a development where the building works have stopped, the developer has ceased trading, where roads fade into rocky tracks and where swimming pools, once the pivotal feature of the ex pat lifestyle, are leaking water. Cats prowl about, cracks in the infrastructure appear, and shadowy figures flit among some of the ruined housing. This book really is full of gentle explorations, beautifully rendered relationships, set in a stunningly captured landscape. It is a mesmerizing portrait of a Father/Son relationship, the irritations, the shorthand of communication, the ease of co-existing, the frustration of personality quirks. And their shared loss of Kathleen, wife and mother.

So, if you like gentle novels that explore relationships, then this might be for you.