Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Cuckoos Calling

(12 Posts)
GrandmaH Thu 12-Sep-13 15:57:12

Just read this book in a couple of days- totally compelling.
Written by David Galbraith who has been outed as J K Rowland. That girl can tell a story & not a wizard in sight!
It is a modern detective novel about the suspicious death of a super model & once you start it be prepared to let the housework go to pot! My DH read it first & did say it was a page turner so I was forewarned.
Really good plot & I suspect that we may see more books featuring this detective & his side kick from Ms Rowland- I do hope so!!

BAnanas Thu 12-Sep-13 17:06:15

I really want to read this book GradmaH, I've heard it's very good and I like crime. I enjoyed The Casual Vacancy a lot, in spite of mixed reviews. I didn't have any preconceptions about her writing because I wasn't one of those adults who could be bothered to read Harry Potter, reading about wizards isn't my thing, I was just glad my children enjoyed the series.

Grannyeggs Thu 12-Sep-13 17:28:11

I have it on Kindle, am going to read it next, it's had a lot of good reviews. I love good crime novels.

broomsticks Fri 20-Sep-13 17:15:57

Just reading it now. Enjoying it but maybe doesn't have the originality and humour of Harry Potter.

annodomini Fri 20-Sep-13 17:23:30

I think you're comparing apples and oranges, broomsticks!

GrandmaH Sat 21-Sep-13 16:10:49

Yet to read Casual Vacancy- it is on Kindle but not had time yet. So many books - so little time. I remember when the saying was so many men- so little time!
Those were the days!

annodomini Sat 21-Sep-13 16:46:13

I am ploughing through Casual Vacancy. It's very slow going but there is a plot developing. Not sure that I care about any of the characters though - maybe one or two of the teenagers.

Brendawymms Sat 21-Sep-13 21:09:10

Had Cuckoo Calling as an audio book. Very entertaining but I did not find it memorable.

broomsticks Sun 22-Sep-13 17:08:32

It's not bad, I suppose. Definitely an apple or an orange not a strawberry or blueberry or melon wink

broomsticks Wed 25-Sep-13 09:35:34

Actually I'm enjoying this more and more. Perhaps her books are slow starters if Casual Vacancy is the same.

annodomini Wed 25-Sep-13 10:08:31

I'll try not to prejudice you against Casual Vacancy! I will be interested to know what anyone else thought of it. I thought that in Cuckoos Calling she built her characters convincingly. Why is is that detectives in fiction seem to have dysfunctional relationships, the main exception being the Venetian cop, Commissario Brunetti in Donna Leon's books.

broomsticks Thu 26-Sep-13 14:55:30

Yes, the Brunetti family is one of the real strong points of Donna Leon I think. It is the only actual detective series I can think of with a family - oh, except for the Falco books.