Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What book is this?

(13 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 27-Sep-13 01:10:03

Cannot remember title or author, but novel set in USA. Briefly a doctor delivers wife's twins, a boy and a girl. The girl has Down's syndrome and the Dr tells his wife she was stillborn but he gives the baby away. They keep the boy and bring him up. There are repercussions later on, clearly. I enjoyed this novel some time ago, wish I could remember name of it. Can anyone help?

Notso Fri 27-Sep-13 05:07:56

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards.
Good book smile

J52 Fri 27-Sep-13 07:42:12

I read it too. Good book, would recommend. X smile

shysal Fri 27-Sep-13 08:07:37

Visiting library tomorrow, made a note of this book, sounds like my kind of story.

mrsmopp Fri 27-Sep-13 11:29:08

Yes that's the one!! Thanks so much. Have been racking my brains for days and it hurts!
It's a brilliant story, very engrossing, & well written.
Good one to take on holiday. Highly recommended. I have read it before some time ago & am ready to enjoy it again.
Cheers!

Nelliemoser Fri 27-Sep-13 15:43:02

It does sound good! This could be a useful thread. I often can't remember the titles of books I have enjoyed.

shysal Fri 27-Sep-13 16:24:53

Wrote myself a post-it note to remind me of the title, to stick in my little red alphabetized notebook in which I list and score books I have taken from the library, only to find that I had already read this book some years ago. I gave it an 8 out of 10, so must have enjoyed it. Without this record I would be in danger of borrowing the same titles again and again!

gracesmum Fri 27-Sep-13 20:17:39

Just as I have been guilty of buying a book from the Oxfam bookshop near us only to find my own name insde blush

Ana Fri 27-Sep-13 20:25:46

Vandalism! shock

yogagran Fri 27-Sep-13 20:40:38

I can never remember what books I have read either, quite often used to start on a new one and it was several pages/chapters in when I realise that the story seems somewhat familiar!

I now use a website called Goodreads where you can add the books you have read, grade them on a star system and list all books by author, alphabetically or by the date read. Helps me a lot - as long as I remember to add the books as I read them!

www.goodreads.com/

mrsmopp Fri 27-Sep-13 20:41:59

Have often bought books from charity shops cos they looked good, only to find I already have a copy at home! Duh !

mrshat Fri 27-Sep-13 20:43:04

I use Goodreads too Yogagran - it is invaluable when you have a memory like mine! grin

mrsmopp Sat 28-Sep-13 20:12:34

Yes, thanks for introducing me to goodreads!
Never heard of it before but have had a look and am impressed! I am sure I will find it very useful. Thanks!