Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Little children - big questions. Win books!

(19 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 13-Nov-13 15:00:02

All the questions from the thread and the survey were put to Gemma (editor of the book) and the one she picked out was from NanSue's 6 year-old GS...

"What is a gamma ray"

The expert who provided the answer is science writer, journalist and broadcaster Marcus Chown - author of the excellent What A Wonderful World: One Man's Attempt to Explain the Big Stuff.

What is a gamma ray?

A rainbow is a beautiful thing. It's caused when falling raindrops split sunlight into colours. Those colours - the colours of the rainbow - are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Seven of them. But, actually, there are other colours that our eyes cannot see. For instance, beyond the red, is a colour known as infrared. It is given out by warm bodies. We cannot see infrared but snakes called pit vipers can. They use it to spot the warmth of mice in the blackness of night. And, beyond the violet, is a colour called ultraviolet. Ultraviolet is what burns your skin if you stay out in the sun too long. We cannot see it but bees can. Flowers often reflect ultraviolet from the sun and so look quite different to bees than to us. Why am I telling you this? Well, there aren't just two colours - infrared and ultraviolet - that we cannot see. There are MILLIONS. And gamma rays are simply another colour we cannot see, though scientists have built telescopes that can see them. Gamma rays are given out by violent events out in space like black holes colliding with each other or greedily swallowing stars whole. We can see these because astronomers have built artificial eyes that can see gamma rays. In fact, they have built artificial eyes that can see millions of colours invisible to the human eye. That's how clever they are!

stephgr Mon 14-Oct-13 04:25:19

how can some people sleep standing up when I have to lie down to get to sleep - Olivia, age 5

NfkDumpling Fri 11-Oct-13 18:03:34

Will I know when I'm dead?

Gorki Fri 11-Oct-13 11:40:11

What does nothing look like?

anjo4321 Fri 11-Oct-13 11:30:55

What does heaven look like?

ruthjean Thu 10-Oct-13 20:07:41

you or Tim got any unusual Q's I can get answered for you?

18:31
(It's a Doctor Who question)

If a Silence and an angel met, and the silence walked around a corner (still looking at it till it reached the corner where the wall got in the way), would the angel attack it or forget it was ever there?xxx
Chat conversation end
Sent from Mobile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 08-Oct-13 15:54:32

Still a few days to fill out the survey to win prizes (details above). You can simply post a question from GC on this thread too if you would like to be in with a chance of having a real, famous expert providing them with an answer

GadaboutGran Sat 05-Oct-13 10:29:18

The quality of the survey is always in the questions posed & assumptions/prejudices driving the choice of answers. I've always loved filling in forms for some odd reason but hate these computerised ones which don't allow you more than one choice & never seem to offer the answer which fits me. With paper surveys I can cover them with my own comments even though I know they'll be ignored but computerised ones are very controlling. I most often find I'm ticking the 'other' box if there is one, & giving more nuanced answers that give a more truthful, & I believe, useful answer.

glammanana Fri 04-Oct-13 17:44:59

All done.

kittylester Tue 01-Oct-13 16:53:52

Ok, I've just done the survey again and it still want's to know why I don't use the internet to find answers with my grandchildren - I do!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 01-Oct-13 09:51:59

Right...with apologies from the surveyor purveyors...

Link above has been amended and now means that clicking "other" is adequate to complete the survey (rather than being asked for an additional answer)

You will also be asked for your contact details.

With extra apologies to those who have already filled it in: two options. You can either do it again (which we appreciate may be a faff.) OR you can drop me an email via [email protected] so we have your contact details. If you include the best question our grandchild/ren has asked they will be able to match you up with the relevant completed form.

MrsSB Tue 01-Oct-13 09:33:35

Heavens, that didn't last long. It's telling me it's closed already!

Granny23 Tue 01-Oct-13 03:39:30

This is a poorly constructed survey, impossible to complete properly.

kittylester Mon 30-Sep-13 19:25:04

Penstemmon - I did too. It didn't recognise my 'other' answers, nor did it like the fact that I ignored the question 'if you don't look things up on the internet' - but I do! confused

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 30-Sep-13 18:39:32

Now that is a very good question! I will speak to the people from Faber and rectify!

Penstemmon Mon 30-Sep-13 17:16:09

A bit of an odd survey as i had to tick 2 answers to be able to submit it even though my answer was other... and as kitty says how do they know it is me???

shysal Mon 30-Sep-13 17:05:37

Done.

kittylester Mon 30-Sep-13 17:05:31

Ok, I've just done the survey but how will they know it's me when I win? confused

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 30-Sep-13 16:03:06

To celebrate the publication of "Does My Goldfish Know Who I Am? (And hundreds more Big Questions from Little People answered by experts)" we have teamed up with Faber to launch an exclusive Gransnet competition.

The book takes real children's questions, gathered from primary schools across the UK, and asks some of the greatest experts and thinkers of our time to give short and accessible answers. So David Attenborough tells us whether monkeys could ever turn into men, Miranda Hart ponders why it's funny when someone farts (and many, many more)

67% of net royalties from sales of the book will go to the NSPCC.

Now one gransnetter has the chance to get their grandchild's question answered by a famous expert. The book's editor, Gemma Elwin Harris, will pick her favourite and the winner will not only get the answer but also a hardback copy of the book PLUS a paperback copy of the first volume (Why Can't I Tickle Myself?). Two runners up will each receive a set of both books.

All you have to do to enter is post a question from a small (ish) child (plus their age) before 14 October.

We are also running a survey alongside this. Take part and you will be automatically entered into the draw to win...tickets to a family show, vouchers for a meal at Nando's and a set of both books. Click here for more details https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XYM7YTZ