Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Cazalet author, Elizabeth Jane Howard has died.

(10 Posts)
penguinpaperback Thu 02-Jan-14 23:19:39

Sad news. www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/10548050/Elizabeth-Jane-Howard-author-of-the-Cazalet-Chronicles-dies.html

Anne58 Thu 02-Jan-14 23:33:28

Pretty good age though.

Mamie Fri 03-Jan-14 07:05:24

Sad news, but a good age, as you say Phoenix. I was glad to hear that her later years brought reconciliation with her daughter. On a selfish note, I am very grateful that she updated us on the Cazalets, before she went!
I would love to see the television production of Something in Disguise again, but it seems to be unavailable on DVD.
RIP EJH. A fine and often under-rated writer.

penguinpaperback Fri 03-Jan-14 23:15:20

Yes a very good age. I'm pretty sure I'd read somewhere EJH was planning, even writing another book after the final Cazalet. Maybe it will be published sometime. I agree it's wonderful we have the final book.

Nonny Sat 04-Jan-14 13:29:48

Yes it is sad. Her writing was good.I enjoyed her last Cazalet book and like you penguinpaperback, I thought that I had heard about a 6th Cazalet book.

annodomini Fri 04-Apr-14 10:53:36

I'm reading the final Cazalet novel, All Change. I am ploughing through it and can't wait to get to the end because I have fallen out of love with the characters - that's if I ever really was in love with any of them. There's a finality about the book, a tying up of ends. I suppose I never felt much sympathy with that very closed social circle.

rosesarered Sat 05-Apr-14 20:38:05

I have yet to read The Cazalet series, hoping for a Kindle deal! I think it's going to be read on radio 4 as well? I seem to remember E J Howard was married to Kingsley Amis, or is this somebody else entirely?

annodomini Sat 05-Apr-14 20:40:23

One and the same, roses. I've read them all in the past year and just finished the last one which came out around the time she died. I'll say no more - not into spoilers!

rosesarered Sat 05-Apr-14 20:56:27

Oh, well maybe I won't like them anno but I will give them a try.I did like Kingsley Amis books though [I'm sure he was a difficult and not entirely nice person to live with] but an excellent author.I re-read The Old Devils last year, and also I Like It Here, and enjoyed them just as much as I did years ago, in fact the last one had me laughing fit to burst at times.

annodomini Mon 07-Apr-14 11:57:59

Don't let me put you off, roses. You may have the opposite opinion. Most people do.