Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Download Free Audio Books from your Library

(15 Posts)
Cornflake1623 Tue 18-Feb-14 19:45:38

Greetings to all. I am a new member and have been lurking around these forums for a few days. This is my first post so be warned there is a fair to middling chance that this post will go pear shaped at any moment!
I'd just like to share something I have recently come across. I am a regular library user and also download free books from my County Library onto my E Reader. Just discovered that I can now download audio books via my computer to my E Reader.
Not sure about the policy of posting links - so I won't - but you can access this service through your local library site. The people behind it appear to be Howes (well known publishing house) and is available to most but not all County Libraries. I'm in Derbyshire and it's just fine. The websites are, I think very new, and are a bit glitchy - took me several attempts to get on, but they have a very wide selection of audio books.
So, hello again to everybody. I am delighted to have found Grans Net and am finding it entertaining and informative.

Grannyknot Tue 18-Feb-14 20:02:05

Welcome Cornflake! Thanks for the info, I will be checking it out. smile

glammanana Tue 18-Feb-14 22:26:29

Cornflake welcome to GN and thanks for your wonderful infomation I shall certainly be looking into that soon as,you will love the site we have all sorts of topics to discuss,some very thoughtful and helpful and some just plain everyday enjoyment however the mood takes you, so do join in and be welcome.flowers

annodomini Tue 18-Feb-14 23:28:53

Welcome, Cornflake. I hope you enjoy G'net as much as I have for nearly three years. Can it really be so long? It doesn't seem like it!

penguinpaperback Tue 18-Feb-14 23:34:56

Hello Cornflake and thank you for the info! flowers

Culag Wed 19-Feb-14 08:47:12

I think this is a great idea. You can 'read' while doing something else. Unfortunately, the only time I tried it, there was a whole chunk of text missed out near the beginning. I know because I also had the book beside me - Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel. I must try it again sometime.

ladybird9 Fri 21-Feb-14 20:37:48

hi Cornflake, there must be a meaning of some sort behind your Cornflake non-de-plume, bet it's funny.......
I am the proud owner of a Kindle, not too hot on managing it but recently I was told the same info that you have messaged, have you any instructions that you could part with to advise me how to download, I love my library although it will be closing it's doors in Nov/Dec this year, how very sad. Continue to enjoy Gransnet, it is a mood lifter, no doubt.
Enjoy your evening and good reading. what kind of books to you like to read ?
thanks again for info
x

seaspirit Fri 21-Feb-14 21:34:17

I belong to audible, when I am tired words run across the page when I am reading so prefer to listen, and now holding a book makes my hand and neck hurt, have tried some of the free downloads and find they are not always very good, some of the online ones actually have virus and phishing. the monthly book is about £7 ( regardless of it's cost, some are £30/40) but they also have sales etc, so of course if it is under £7 then it is better to buy then use the monthly 'credit'. Mums library do their talking books in one book ' ipods ' you have to put in your own battery I think, Mum loves them as she can read without having to shout for the tape to be changed or the c.d. (she is blind ) she gets them free.

Cornflake1623 Sat 22-Feb-14 00:49:34

Dear Ladybird 9,
I have a mental block whenever I am required to choose a user name for a website. When I signed up for Gransnet I stalled, trying to think of a good name. Nothing came, I wandered into the kitchen to make some tea and guess what was next to the kettle - a box of cornflakes!. So sorry, not funny but convenient.

As to the best way to download audio books from the library. It all depends on what device you are using. If you go on the website, there is a long pdf file which gives instructions for a variety of devices It's about 50 pages long. Download this PDF, find you device and I'm afraid you'll just have to trawl your way through the instructions. I use a Sony E reader. I got this rather than a Kindle because at the time my library did not allow downloads to Kindle devices. Kindles are, however, listed on the audio book site. I download to my PC and then transfer to my reading device (instructions will vary depending on your device. Sorry if this is not much help but I am a bit of a novice myself
I enjoy reading historical fact based fiction, family sagas (Ken Follet trilogy) but mostly I read crime fiction. Nothing to gory, I'm not into blood and guts preferably English police procedurals. But in fact I will read just about anything including the back of the cornflake packet.

I am currently trying to start/finish any entry to the Margery Allingham Short Story Competition. If anyone has the urge to write classic crime fiction details can be found on the Crime Writers Website.

Enjoy your reading/listening

alternativegran Mon 24-Feb-14 23:32:04

Hello Cornflake

Thank you for your post, I also belong to my local library and download ebooks. However, I now have cataracts forming, so am really interested to learn that it might be possible to download audio books, I joined Audible this month on a free trial, but I read a lot so more choice would be good.

I find Gransnet quite addictive, apart from enjoying the threads on a wide variety of topics, I find the practical help invaluable.

alternativegran Tue 25-Feb-14 15:56:57

Sadly no audible books to download from Wiltshire libraries, but at least I can enlarge the text on their ebooks.

whenim64 Tue 25-Feb-14 16:07:02

I belong to Manchester Libraries online and there's a vast array to choose from. If it's not immediately available, you can put a hold on a book and get an email when it's ready to download. It automatically 'returns' after 21 days. I can choose to put these books on my Sony eReader, Kindle or iPad, the latter being the easiest.

Cornflake1623 Tue 25-Feb-14 18:32:01

Dear Alternative Gran,
Sorry to read that Wiltshire Libraries aren't signed up to download audio books. Doesn't seem fair when so many Counties are offering this service.
Sounds like you might have a project - why not start a campaign in your area. You could start by contacting your local County Councillor.
Anybody else in Wiltshire ready to join in?

alternativegran Fri 28-Feb-14 23:42:24

Hello Cornflake

Thank you for your suggestion, I would certainly download audio books if they were available, but am a bit wary of making waves, as I am concerned that even ebooks may be the thin edge of the wedge, I hope they just remain an extra service.

Perhaps I am being illogical, but since our library installed machines to check books in and out we have lost trained staff, which volunteers, however willing, can't replace. The library is a real meeting place, and offers so many services that it would be a great loss to the community if it were closed, it could be such an easy target in a rural area to save money.

stella808 Sun 06-Jul-14 14:06:36

If you want to listen to books, try Librivox which is free and has audio versions of classic novels. They are read by volunteers, not trained actors so the quality is variable..but there is nothing to lose!!!