Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Burial Rites - Hannah Kent Q&A

(153 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 25-Feb-14 09:39:01

The winners of the free copies of this great book - read more about it HERE - should have received their parcels by now. If you did (or indeed if you won a copy in our giveaway of the hardback edition last year) do please add a question for author Hannah Kent.

gardener Thu 13-Mar-14 16:06:29

Thank you so much for the book...for a debut novel it's been a tremendous success. I will certainly recommend it.
Looking at the passages where Agnes is telling Margret about Nathan's murder ( Pages 294 - 303 )....my question is :-
Did you find any evidence to suggest that this is how Agnes was involved ?
Or was it just pure speculation...or wishful thinking on your part ?

DavidH22 Fri 14-Mar-14 10:12:39

A wonderful gripping, enthralling and mesmerising read with the descriptions of rural living in those days in Iceland forcing me to turn up the heating. As others have mentioned the way Agnes' last few days are portrayed is a very moving piece of writing.
Do you think a man in the same circumstances that befell Agnes - abandonment, poverty and perceived loose morals - would have suffered the same fate as she did.
Has there ever been a move in Iceland to have Agnes pardoned posthumously or at least have the circumstances surrounding the killings looked at again?
Many thanks for my copy of the book. I will certainly look out for your next.

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-Mar-14 12:44:54

Thank you, Hannah and Gransnet, for the book. It wasn't one I would have chosen from the cover and the synopsis, but I'm so glad I snaffled a copy. It was a captivating read, and so atmospheric. I counted so many blessings as I read your vivid descriptions of the privations of the time and the location. How depressing and miserable it must have been to have to burn dried dung on the fire for warmth and put your feet into cowpats to stop the frostbite!

I would like to ask whether Hannah has returned to Iceland other than on her first exchange visit and for her intensive research. What she actually thinks of the country as it is today and how on earth she acclimatises, given the polar differences of temperature and hours of daylight between Australia and Iceland?

jocelyne Fri 14-Mar-14 12:48:41

The weather plays a very important part in this novel, has Hannah used her personal experience and feelings when describing it ? Was it difficult to "fill in" the unknown, ie away from the legal papers ?
Thank you for such an exciting novel.

The weather plays a very important part in this novel, has Hannah used her personal experience and feelings when describing it ? Was it difficult to "fill in" the unknown, ie away from the legal papers ?

jocelyne Fri 14-Mar-14 12:48:42