Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Her Fearful Symmetry

(21 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 20-Mar-14 21:10:40

Just goes to show how different we all are doesn't it? It may offend some on religious grounds? It was unsettling, but so inventive and a page turner.

Deedaa Thu 20-Mar-14 20:50:32

I read Her Fearful Symmetry and thoroughly disliked it. I just felt there was something deeply unpleasant about the whole book. I passed it on to DD and she didn't like it either.

Tegan Tue 18-Mar-14 13:21:14

I really struggled with TTTW but, when I eventually got into it I loved it. Thought the film was a good adaptation of what seemed an impossible story, and I enjoyed watching 'the making of' part of the dvd as I'd wondered myself which bits you could safely leave out without ruining the plot. My ex, who told me to stick with TTTW [he read the end when he was on a plane somewhere, and cried; daft 'aporth that he is] also recommended Her Fearful Symmetry. So many books I need to read.

rosesarered Tue 18-Mar-14 13:07:06

I know what you all mean, towards the end it does get very strange [especially the last 4 pages!]Won't say what as it may spoil your reading. brilliantly inventive though, a very odd ghost story.

Treebee Mon 17-Mar-14 22:44:41

I loved the Time Travellers Wife and was hugely disappointed in the film.
Her Fearful Symmetry was also a disappointment.
Though I could totally believe in TTTW I couldn't suspend my disbelief in HFS.
Very silly book.

BAnanas Mon 17-Mar-14 17:19:44

I have had this book lying on my shelves for a couple of years but haven't read it yet. I didn't really like The Time Traveller's Wife, a bit too whimsical for me. Having read through a lot of the comments here though I think I might give this one a go, I would be interested in the history of Highgate Cemetery as described by you cazthebookworm

cazthebookworm Mon 17-Mar-14 08:46:31

Yes I have read the book as one of my book group reads and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is different from my usual type of read and I found the history of Highgate cemetery fascinating. There is more detail and explanation of the book and the writing of it on the author's web site, if you are interested in hearing more about her subject. I would certainly like to visit the cemetery myself one day and see the history of the place.

baubles Sun 16-Mar-14 21:27:07

That's the one Marelli smile

gettingonabit Sun 16-Mar-14 21:21:30

Tried it, but failed miserably. Just didn't get it.

Mishap Sun 16-Mar-14 18:34:23

I once went to a photography exhibition called "Fearful Symmetry" - all the photos were of sets of twins and some were quite spooky. Apparently the quote is from William Blake's Tyger.

Anne58 Sun 16-Mar-14 17:36:04

feetle grin

That reminds me of a conversation we had recently, a friend said of Mr P "your first wife was German, wasn't she?" Before I knew it I heard myself say "She still is, it's not something you grow out of!"

NanKate Sun 16-Mar-14 17:23:00

I've read both and preferred The Time Traveller's Wife.

I too was cautious when seeing the film of the TTW and surprisingly enjoyed it.

I like unusual books and Dystopian ones, such as 'Escape from Genopolis' by T. E. Berry-Hart, should point out this is a book for teenagers.

feetlebaum Sun 16-Mar-14 16:36:11

I expect he did, too...

Anne58 Sun 16-Mar-14 16:20:32

I'm always wary of the "film of the book", especially if I have read the book before the film comes out, if you see what I mean. The people never seem to look the same as they did in my head.

The worst one for that was when I watched one of the films featuring the character Lincoln Rhymes, in which he was portrayed by Denzil Washington. I had never imagined him as black (or " a man of colour" if you prefer)

Lincoln Rhymes that is, I knew Denzil Washington was.

janerowena Sun 16-Mar-14 16:12:16

Yes, I read it. Slightly weird but still enjoyable.

Marelli Sun 16-Mar-14 16:09:47

Was it Highgate Cemetery, baubles?

baubles Sun 16-Mar-14 15:30:30

I read it a few years ago, I remember I enjoyed it but don't remember all the details. It was set in that famous cemetery in London, the name of which escapes me, wasn't it?

I also enjoyed the Time Travellers Wife.

rosequartz Sun 16-Mar-14 15:29:47

Just sorting out which books to keep and which to send to the charity shop, and the Time Traveller's Wife was just in my hand before I came to make a cup of tea. The book was good, the film not so.
Must look out for her new one.

Ana Sun 16-Mar-14 15:22:05

I have read it, and I enjoyed it, although I found myself having to suspend belief more and more towards the end!

Anne58 Sun 16-Mar-14 14:53:07

Not yet, but it is on my list!

I enjoyed the Time Travellers Wife.

rosesarered Sun 16-Mar-14 14:50:06

I am reading Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger and really enjoying it. She wrote The Time Traveller's Wife, but I like this book better than that one.Anyone else read it and liked it?