Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Marking and defacing of books

(54 Posts)
numberplease Wed 19-Mar-14 17:04:17

I`ve recently started to buy used books from Amazon to save a bit of money. No complaints until now, and it`s not Amazon`s fault, but why do some people feel the need to cross out what the author has written, and write in their own words instead? The book I`m reading at the moment had no end for the first 200 or so pages, once a whole paragraph had been crossed through! Then it went 200 pages without any, but they`ve started again now, it`s most aggravating!

Charleygirl Fri 21-Mar-14 09:51:39

I must have been very fortunate. I cannot seem to keep out of charity shops- I am always buying books and I think only once a book had a few writings inside it. The books I take to the charity shop look as though they are brand new because I really care for them.

Unlike rosequartz I was not allowed to write inside a book when at school, either by the teachers or my parents.

rosequartz Fri 21-Mar-14 10:17:42

It was our teachers who instructed us to make notes in our books, charleygirl! Quite amazing when I think back with hindsight. In pencil, of course, so it could be rubbed out I suppose and before the days of photocopying. I still have some of them so I can look back and see how we dissected poems and prose. I wouldn't send those anywhere, but no doubt someone will 'skip' them one day!

Charleygirl Fri 21-Mar-14 10:20:52

I realise that it was done under instruction rosequartz. At least it was in pencil and could be erased later.

thatbags Fri 21-Mar-14 10:59:28

A friend of mine told me that his father, who was a lawyer in Ecuador, told him and his siblings that writing notes in books, underlining and so forth, was a sign that you were really appreciating them. I think my teacher, mentioned above, would have agreed.

roseq, the suggestion to recycle books you don't want any more was just that. They are made of paper. If it's too much trouble to take them to a charity shop (it is for me too), or to sell them on ebay, or whatever, that's another option.

rosequartz Fri 21-Mar-14 11:01:05

Just had a glance at one poem (Adlestrop) which is surrounded by tiny pencilled notes - more notes than poem in fact. It's quite interesting to look back. But I would never dream of selling it in that condition!

rosequartz Fri 21-Mar-14 11:08:37

Thatbags, it looks as if they may be going back on the shelf then, or in a box in the attic (another one). I know you're right but .... sad.

It's not too much trouble to take them to a charity shop but having been told by a volunteer in our local oxfam shop they only want the most recent paperbacks, thankyou, I am reluctant. And i thi k i read on another post somewhere that a charity shop just binned some old books she had taken in. I would have thought they could send them to their shop in Oxford, don't they have a shop there selling old books? Too far for me to go unfortunately.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 21-Mar-14 11:30:24

Our Oxfam bookshop takes, and sells, old paperbacks. And then they've got a table with some very old books (collectors)

rosequartz Fri 21-Mar-14 11:58:47

Must depend on the individual shops then. Will make some enquiries.

numberplease Fri 21-Mar-14 17:05:16

I`ve just given about 200 paperbacks to the British Heart Foundation shop in town, but only because they collect, couldn`t have got them there otherwise. I very rarely buy books from charity shops, but only because I find that I`ve read most of them already.

rosesarered Fri 21-Mar-14 20:47:42

I like silverfish, they sometimes come out in the bathroom at night and 'swim' about [only 2 or 3 not zillions.] They are rather beautiful.
I also like the poem Adlestrop , it's often requested on Poetry Please on radio 4.
I like old books too, but only in very good condition. Oxford has some good bookshops.

Deedaa Fri 21-Mar-14 21:15:42

I'm another silverfish lover roses although I don't think I've ever seen any in our current house. I love the fact that such prehistoric creatures are still running around.

annodomini Fri 21-Mar-14 22:07:29

Silverfish and Adlestrop. I agree roses.

numberplease Fri 21-Mar-14 22:39:39

I have three old books, childrens` books, given as Sunday school prizes, in 1911, very moralistic and religious stories, and they`re in brilliant condition, given to me about 40 years ago by an elderly lady I always called auntie, although she wasn`t a relative. I took them to the Antiq2ues Roadshow when they were in our area, and the expert told me they were worth about £5 each, I don`t want to sell them, but expected them to be worth more.

rosequartz Fri 21-Mar-14 23:04:48

Yes, It's surprising, we have some really old books inherited from DH's family, probably not worth more than a few pounds each as they are not first editions.

Tegan Sat 22-Mar-14 12:27:04

That's what saddens me about the thought of using Kindle to read books, because I think old books 'absorb' something from the people that read them and it's nice to feel how treasured that book was to someone. I have one with an inscription inside that says 'Sweet is the memory of a distant friend, like the mellow rays of the departing sun it falls tenderly yet sadly on my heart'; Sept 1893. I am it's custodian.

Marty Sat 22-Mar-14 12:46:05

I often come across scribbles in the library books I take it out. I get very angry and then loose my concentration on what I am reading. I think its unconscionable to deface a library book. I don't care for other peoples editing or what they think of a sentence. If you own the book it's up to you - but a library book definitely NOT!

Nonu Sat 22-Mar-14 13:42:54

I think my greatest bugbear is pages being turned over as a place saver .
For goodness sake use a bookmark they are cheap enough , if not , a scrap of paper will do !
Hmmmm

Tegan Sat 22-Mar-14 17:35:49

I couldn't actually turn the corner of a page over even if someone told me to do it; I would have a sort of Dr Strangelove moment.

Nonu Sat 22-Mar-14 17:37:48

{smile]

nightowl Sat 22-Mar-14 17:58:36

I'm with you all the way Tegan. I could never bring myself to write in a book either, not even a cookery book! There something in me that just won't allow it, I think I regard books as a little bit sacred grin

Inscriptions on the fly leaf are different, and very precious I think.

Grannyeggs Sat 22-Mar-14 18:27:26

My Mother wrote in cookery books because I think she felt she could improve on the recipes,which was typical of her. It irritated me when I was younger but now I treasure these memories of her. Iwould not put them up for sale though.

Silverfish Sat 22-Mar-14 20:12:50

can anyone tell me what to put in the books to kill the silverfish as I have a phobia and scream loudly if I see one. I normally wash everything with neat bleach but obviously cant do that to my books.

Aka Sat 22-Mar-14 22:57:22

Irony is not dead silverfish grin

Deedaa Sun 23-Mar-14 21:27:30

I am absolutely incapable of turning over the page in a book. After all you still have to scrabble through the book to find the turned back corner.

I think writing in cookery books is perfectly fine. There are all sorts of odds and ends you might want to make a note of - and once you've used a cookery book for a while it's going to have so many splashes and stains in it that you're hardly likely to be passing it on.

HollyDaze Mon 24-Mar-14 08:17:54

I'm another that can't dog-ear a page in a book; neither can I write in one (unless it's a text book).

I can't throw them away either - all books I don't want to keep are trundled around charity shops or car boot sales; hard backs are welcomed by our local library (which isn't government funded).