Gransnet forums

Books/book club

books

(34 Posts)
sparkygran Wed 30-Apr-14 18:44:47

am currently reading a Jonathan Kellerman thriller oh how I love thrillers - this is an old one which I don`t normally like but so far I am enjoying it.

I have of recent times become an addict of Nordic thrillers and am currently exploring some really obscure Iclandic writers - they are great - anyone else of the same mind?

NanKate Sun 01-Jun-14 10:00:51

Thanks Numberplease I always like to have good book recommendations and it looks as if we like similar storylines.

numberplease Sun 01-Jun-14 00:50:19

NanKate, I read Like This Forever a few weeks ago, I think you`ll like it, it`s a bit different to Sharon Bolton`s usual style. I`ve just finished two books back to back by Michael Connelly, The Poet, and The Narrows. They are 8 years apart n the writing, but deal with the hunt for the same killer, and they`re both very good.

NanKate Sat 31-May-14 16:56:23

I like the idea of a glass of wine with my literature Sparkygran.

sparkygran Sat 31-May-14 13:03:26

Look forward to your critique NanKate. I`m starting on a Phillipa Gregory called "The Kingmaker`s Daughter". I like Gregory`s bookswine

NanKate Fri 30-May-14 21:22:19

Sparkygran it was a cracker wasn't it?

Just found another of Sharon Bolton's books 'Like this for ever' in our local charity shop. I will report back if that is as good as 'Sacrifice'.

Eyes down for a good read. grin

sparkygran Fri 30-May-14 20:49:42

NanKate wow that was one good book - Sacrifice - couldn`t put it down. It`s not often I get such a feeling of suspense with novels but Sacrifice certainly had plenty of it.

NanKate Thu 29-May-14 21:46:31

Sparkygran, so pleased you are enjoying 'Sacrifice' it was good to the very last page.

Goldengirl I will try your John Boyne book sounds my cup of tea.

I love the Sarah Waters books they are very atmospheric even though I skip the lesbian bits as they are not for me, no offence to gay people. 'Affinity' was my favourite set in Victorian times.

It's great we can use each other to find out about good page turners.

goldengirl Thu 29-May-14 19:30:57

Have just finished 'This House is Haunted' by John Boyne who wrote The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. It's totally different taking place in the 19th century. Couldn't put it down. I admire an author who can change his style if writing.

sparkygran Thu 29-May-14 18:09:38

NanKate and Numberplease am half way through "Sacrifice" by S J Bolton and am so enjoying it - thanks for the steer in her direction. I love novels especially crime ones located on Scottish islands.

NanKate Wed 28-May-14 20:15:37

Well if I was given Gone Girl to try and read again I would need a large slug of alcohol to help me along and possibly a couple of sedatives. grin

I hated it, but will concede many liked it

annodomini Wed 28-May-14 18:58:06

I'm giving Gone Girl to our book group tonight. I thought it was weird, and wondered why it was such a 'best seller' - or was this due to publicity? I can't now remember how it ended! So will have to re-read it.

rubysong Wed 28-May-14 18:51:48

We had Gone Girl at our book club recently and it gave us lots to discuss. There were no likeable characters in it but I felt it was a worthwhile read and cleverly constructed. This month's book was Doris Lessing's The Grass is Singing. It was similar in a way; a bit of a grim read but we discussed it for ages so we must have got a lot out of it. Someone did say 'We've usually finished with the book by now and started gossiping, but we still have lots to discuss.'

numberplease Wed 28-May-14 01:13:29

I`m just coming to the end of an older Michael Connelly book, The Poet, and it`s been great, despite being written in 1996. I was amused by references to digital cameras as something new.

Deedaa Tue 27-May-14 22:32:25

I'm about halfway through An Officer and A Spy, Robert Harris' novel about the Dreyfus Affair. Fascinating stuff and well up to his usual standard

numberplease Tue 20-May-14 16:41:16

I`ve just started a book by M.G.Gardiner, called The Shadow Tracer. I`ve never come across this author before, but this is turning out to be quite good. Am about a third of the way into it, and judge a book by how "unputdownable" it is, and this one is one of those, so far.

sparkygran Tue 20-May-14 16:00:27

Well got Gone Girl from library and like NanKate and Numberplease I don`t like it and this afternoon I decided that there are too many good books out there and I have currently 3 at home to read and 4 awaiting collection in library so didn`t bother to carry on with GG. Gave it a go but I don`t like different characters having short chapters each its something I have noticed in a few books recently and sometimes the charaters are in different eras also was irritated from the start of GG with Margot being shortened to Go in fact there was nothing I liked about this book.

numberplease Tue 06-May-14 23:01:23

Secrets of the Lighthouse was lovely, I can recommend it.

NanKate Tue 06-May-14 18:31:48

Sparkygran do get Gone Girl from the library or a charity shop because you will be wasting your money otherwise in my opinion, however as so many people have read it and liked it I must be (with Numberplease) in the minority.

sparkygran Tue 06-May-14 18:28:22

Have just added S J Bolton`s Sacrifice to my book list. I too keep a list of books that I want to read and work my way through them and Gone Girl is one of them - disappointed to hear you didn`t enjoy it NanKate but will still give it a go

NanKate Mon 05-May-14 21:10:36

Thanks Numberplease I rather fancy that book. I will add it to my list.

numberplease Mon 05-May-14 17:54:00

Sacrifice, yes, that`s it! And I`m another who hated Gone Girl. Secrets of the Lighthouse is going well so far, a sort of combination of mystery and romance, with some lovely descriptions of the Connemara coast and countryside.

NanKate Mon 05-May-14 06:56:32

Numberplease glad you enjoyed 'Sacrifice' by S J Bolton I will finish it when my two grandsons (3 and 1) have gone home after a week's hols with us !

I keep a list of books I want in my purse and dart into any charity shop I see and often get the one I want. I did however treat myself to a full price book which had sold worldwide it was called 'Gone Girl' it was absolute drivel and I donated to a charity shop after 100 pages. When looking up the reviews on Amazon I saw many others hated it too.

numberplease Sun 04-May-14 22:55:42

NanKate, like you I can`t remember the title, but the book you mention by S.J.Bolton was, I think, her first book, and it was very good. I`ve finished The Wives of Los Alamos now, and it was okay, but I would have preferred it written in a more usual style, and to have gone into more depth with each individual family, or some of them anyway, enabling the reader to feel that they know who is being discussed. I also noticed the glaring error where the British toasted the Queen! I`ve just started Secrets of the Lighthouse, by Santa Montefiore, a new writer to me, but the book was the half price book of the week at Smiths, and looked good from the synopsis, so I`m giving it a try.

sparkygran Sun 04-May-14 11:34:57

I just love Donna Leon`s books and there is a new one due for publication about now. Am reading a Paul Charles book at the moment called A pleasure to do death with you - really good have read him before and this one is his latest in DI Christy Kennedy series

NanKate Sat 03-May-14 22:17:05

That's what I love about Gransnet I can get great recommendations of books new to me and I escape to far off places in my mind. I too thoroughly enjoy the Jo Nesbo books.

I am presently reading (sorry can't remember name) by S J Bolton set in the Shetlands, if I hadn't got my lovely grandchildren staying with me I would have polished the book off by now.