Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Patricia Scanlan-With All MY Love

(2 Posts)
numberplease Wed 04-Jun-14 16:01:26

I too had never read Patricia Scanlan before I read this book, and I really enjoyed it. Will be looking for more by her.

keriku Wed 04-Jun-14 11:05:11

WITH ALL MY LOVE- PATRICIA SCANLAN (REVIEW)
Recently the postie brought me a copy of this novel, I assume I must have won it in a competition. I had never even heard of the author. What a wonderful, touching, heart-warming book. When I used to read ”family sagas”, the grannies were usually scullery maids in the depression. In this book, the granny is a teenager in the 70s trying to choose between a nice career in the civil service or university, going out dancing with her pals and meeting punks! She could have been me! The book shows how even 30 odd years ago a teenage pregnancy was a thing of great shame, especially in rural Ireland where the novel is set.
The book explores the consequences of how one tragic event can cast its shadows over three generations of very different women. This is a book that will make you laugh and make you cry. It is a very spiritual book, moving from characters with great faith to those who believe there is absolutely nothing out there.
Moving from Ireland to Spain and back again, I absolutely loved this book. I may never have heard of Patricia Scanlan before, but I will certainly be looking out for more of her books. Ideal holiday reading!