Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Portrait of a Lost Boy

(3 Posts)
Humbertbear Wed 16-Jul-14 18:52:47

First of all, thank you Granset , for this book. The scope of the story is over 45 years and at least two continents. Ranging from Jerusalem at the end of the nineteenth century to Germany in 1945. This will be a review of two halves. First the bad news. There are 6 or 8 main characters whose lives intertwine through a series of coincidences which are, frankly, not believable and I found it hard to care about any of them. Also, a lot of the story is told in flash backs which can be confusing. However, the story did keep me reading to the end and I found the descriptions of the German Colony in Jerusalem very interesting as I knew nothing about it. The beginning of the story has a mystical quality to it but this is not supported by the writing as the story progresses. Over all, an interesting read but I think the author has been a little too ambitious.read it for yourself and let me know what you think.

Aka Thu 17-Jul-14 15:47:58

I've just downloaded it for free Hbear will let you know when I finish it.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-Jul-14 15:50:51

Please do copy and paste this review to our reviews section here: www.gransnet.com/reviews/books

Thanks Humbertbear!