Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Invention of Wings - September book club

(96 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Sep-14 14:48:09

Hopefully our winners will now have received their copies of The Invention of Wings (more info HERE for anyone who didn't get one but fancies finding out more/buying one and joining the discussion)

Do please leave all your comments and questions for Sue Monk Kidd on this thread - we will send them off to her towards the end of the month and look forward to hearing what she has to say.

nannabo Tue 16-Sep-14 13:27:58

I was thrilled to win a copy of this book as I never win anything. I had never heard of this author before so was not sure what to expect. I started reading it and couldn't put it down. It was a really great story and not something I would have thought to read through choice. The two leading characters were so interesting and different and both were under restraint in their own way. I will certainly be looking out for this author in the future.

FranieB Tue 16-Sep-14 13:45:28

Thank you very much for my copy of The Invention of Wings. I too didn't realise the main characters were real people until the end. However I was not concerned where the crossover from real to fiction was as I enjoyed reading the story. It was educational for me as well as a jolly good read. Well done those women! We have a lot to be thankful for altho there are still causes we could all support for more rights for women universally.

JAS Tue 16-Sep-14 13:57:09

Halfway through this wonderful book and can't wait to see what happens to Sarah and Handful. I read Uncle Tom's Cabin twice and wonder if this had any influence with the author. Looking forward to reading more of Sue Monk Kidd's other works.

jean48 Tue 16-Sep-14 14:51:07

Could not put it down fantastic read thank you so much

superhez Tue 16-Sep-14 14:53:35

Thank you so much for my copy of this book, near the end now and can't put it down.

It really brings to life what life must have been like in parts of America and the scary thing is it was not so long ago.

Brilliant read.

welshchrissy Tue 16-Sep-14 15:36:53

Thank you very much I am really enjoying my copy of this book. Very enlightening to realise that 2 girls opposite ends of the spectrum could have such similar problems and worries. Interesting to know that these are actually real people but perhaps that is what makes it so believable and thought provoking.

tracya Tue 16-Sep-14 16:14:35

Thank you for the quick delivery of this amazing book which I have now finished reading. I had no experience of the Author Sue who brought the book to life and captured the characters. I enjoyed the fact that the girls names were highlighted so there was no confusion at each chapter. I was interested that the book was based on a true story and I would definitely read more books from the Author well done Sue on creating a great adaptation to the real lives of these girls great book to read.

GranAnn42 Tue 16-Sep-14 16:53:52

Thanks for a very interesting book. Enjoyed the events in the book especially when I discovered that it was based on fact.

BeeBee1950 Tue 16-Sep-14 17:38:07

I finished the Invention of Wings last week and have to say I really enjoyed it and would thoroughly recommend. I wouldn't have normally picked up a book about slavery as I like escapism, but I found the ' faction' approach and the use of first person story telling from the two main characters Handful and Sarah, really enlivened the novel. Thus we learned as we enjoyed, with the interweaving of fact and fiction, pathos and history in a unique way. I had forgotten some facts about slavery, particularly that abolitionists did not necessarily believe in racial equality. I re learned about the stifling lack of equality for American women and that, though they did not experience the violence inflicted on European suffragettes, they had very hostile backlashes in their struggle for the vote, even from such religious groups as the Quakers. What I loved most, though, was the colourful and courageous voice of Handful, who, as she said herself ' always had something smart to say' Though Handful was the slave, her stance of 'hit me if you dare' was something that her owner Sarah learned to adopt in her own struggle for equality later on. As Handful said, her body was imprisoned but her mind was not, which was the opposite to Sarah, the white woman from a privileged background. I laughed out loud at some of Handfuls turns of phrase, in particular, when she was about to face a confrontation... ' tell your backside to brace up'!! First time I have read Sue Monk Kidd, but I will look out the rest of her books now! Thanks, Gransnet, for going me the opportunity to read this one.

marbles Tue 16-Sep-14 17:53:32

I would like to ask Sue Monk Kidd what inspired this book? I loved it and couldn't put it down.

patb44 Tue 16-Sep-14 17:55:56

I am another who loved this book! I understand that Sue came late to writing so would love some inspiration to help me believe that it's not too late to do something you really want to. Also (if I am allowed to ask another) was she surprised at the enormous success she has had?

floribunda Tue 16-Sep-14 18:12:39

Loved the book and have recommended to my book club. It would make an amazing film. Are there any plans to make one?

granh1 Tue 16-Sep-14 18:34:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

annodomini Tue 16-Sep-14 19:09:36

SPOILER ALERT. I have reported this and asked for its removal.

Grannyknot Tue 16-Sep-14 19:24:00

I'm a bit nervous about coming on here (because of possible spoilers), as I'm behind with the reading and have only finished the first few chapters. However, I am loving the book and ploughing through it. So am typing this through screwed up eyes so that I can't read what's above grin, plus I quickly scrolled down to here. So there may be typos!

I am fascinated that the author has so accurately captured the slave character voices, so my question to her is, how on earth did you learn that language and make it seem so authentic?

I grew up in Africa and I love the familiarity of "basket" names. At one time we had someone work for us who was called Leadus. I couldn't quite make the name out, and pronounced it "Ledus" until it was pointed out to me that he was named after "... and lead us not into temptation ..." Another time the man who worked with my husband (in his small business) was Ornament. Which makes perfect sense as a name for an adored new baby.

seclusion Tue 16-Sep-14 19:46:44

I wonder if Sue Monk Kidd liked the film that was made of The
Secret Life of Bees. I enjoyed it very much but not as much as
the book. I am sure they will make a film of The
Invention of Wings but it will never be as good as the book.
I was just disappointed when I finished the book as I wanted
it to go on.

whenim64 Tue 16-Sep-14 19:52:12

I started reading this book at midnight last night and looked at my alarm clock a few minutes (I thought) later, to find it was 2 o'clock. Instantly unputdownable! I'll be back when I've finished it.

Milly Tue 16-Sep-14 22:30:40

Thank you Gransnet for my copy of The Invention of Wings. I have been away so only started it on Sunday but three days later am half way through and have to make myself put it down to do other things. I had also enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees, and find a similarity in the relationship between the white "mistress" and black slave in both books, although only being half way through, it may be that this relationship doesn't last. I haven't read any other comments in case they indicate the ending. I love the picture on the front with Handful's shoulder blade "Wings".

I wonder what prompted Sue Monk Kidd to take this theme. Did she hear about terrible exploitation of the Slaves and it forced her to write about it? By coincidence my daughter has just lent me The Mermaid Chair also by Sue Monk Kidd, and I am saving that to read next, but have looked at the summary and don't think it has the same Mistress/Slave theme.
Milly

bioniknan Wed 17-Sep-14 08:31:46

All I can say is you have to read this beautiful book its great.

hollystone Wed 17-Sep-14 17:30:19

This Book is amazing and enthralling I just could not put it down. From start to finish you are captivated by it.
I thank Sue Monk Kidd for writing a book that explains in a most informative and factual way, without being repetitive that helps you understand things you were never aware of with clarity.
This book has touched my heart and I will be talking about it for years to come!
There are also some great quotes in the book too.
I started to read this and then looked Sarah and Nina (Angelina) up on the internet to see their photo's, but stopped at that as I wanted to read without knowing what happened to them, and immerse myself totally, which I did.
Thank you Gransnet for my book (which will be passed on) It will be etched into my mind and soul forever!

I do not have a question for Sue as such as the Q and A at the back of the book explained so much more, but like Sue I would (if only I could) like to take afternoon tea with them and see their reaction to what their life choices have made to the USA all these years later.

granh1 Wed 17-Sep-14 17:45:57

Thanks for the book - a very moving read.

Hameringham Thu 18-Sep-14 10:09:15

I have just started reading this book and am already enjoying the fact that the story is being told through the eyes of Handful. Many thanks.

alisonbossom191 Thu 18-Sep-14 10:49:13

I really enjoyed this book. I'd read The Secret Life of Bees, by the same author, a while ago and loved it and I think this is just as good, if not better. I was very intrigued to discover the Grimke sisters were real people and that the author developed Handful's story from a very small seed of truth. Both girls grew up enslaved in their own way, Sarah because of the divergence between her background and upbringing and her temperament and intellect, and Handful because of the times into which she was born. The characters were very well drawn and believable and I liked the different voices of the two main women and the way they developed as they grew older and experienced life. It's a fascinating period and I think the author captured the atmosphere of the times and places, Charleston in particular, with her descriptions of changing seasons. I also liked the way water was used in Handful's yearning to escape as she watched the sea, and Sarah's imagining of it to help her overcome her stammer. An excellent read! Readers might also enjoy The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier, set around the 1850s and dealing with abolition and the efforts of slaves to escape via the Underground Railroad in Ohio.

happysouls Thu 18-Sep-14 11:14:12

Hi, When I saw the competition for the book and read the description I knew it was a book I definitely wanted to read. I was really happy when I got the email and looking forward to receiving it. The day it arrived we were planning a day out in the garden reading so the timing was perfect and from the moment I picked it up I couldn't stop. In the end after letting my partner do all the BBQing I only actually stopped reading when it got too dark outside to see and I resumed and finished it the following day.

I loved it, the characters were believable and the story gripping and well told. I also loved reading the background information afterwards. I like books taking historical events and turning them into works of fiction. It gives a general feel to what it was like to live in a particular time and a place and doesn't have to be exact in every detail in order to do that.

No questions but just thanks for the book and I really enjoyed it!

matson Thu 18-Sep-14 18:50:49

The Invention of Wings, is a beautifully written novel with fact and fiction interwoven and a can't put down book . I felt somewhat shamed that I didn't know anything about Sarah and Nina and their amazing accomplishments, so thank you to them, and sue for rewriting history in such a compelling read.