Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Soul of Discretion- Susan Hill

(10 Posts)
GrandmaH Fri 14-Nov-14 10:33:15

Is anyone else a fan of the Serailler novels? If so what did you think of this latest one- no spoilers but I was so disappointed. It did not feel right at all. Far too predictable.I can't say any more in case anyone is waiting to read it but if anyone else has finished it I'd love to know what you thought. DH also read it & agrees with me - which is a first! shock

Soutra Fri 14-Nov-14 14:12:10

I feel she is too much enamoured of her protagonist- she won't be the first or the last, look at Dorothy L Sayers, PD James etc but I prefer my "heroes" to be more flawed.

numberplease Fri 14-Nov-14 16:24:56

I didn`t realise that there was another Serailler book out, must look for it. I usually love them.

merlotgran Fri 14-Nov-14 16:51:36

We love the Simon Serailler books and I think the paperback version of Soul of Discretion is out at the end of the month. I'm looking forward to it because the hardback is expensive and DH doesn't get on with a Kindle.

Iam64 Fri 14-Nov-14 17:14:00

Another Susan Hill - Serailler fan here who didn't know about the latest book. I believe Soutra has got it in one in saying she is too enamoured of her protagonist. Ngio Marsh is another author who is in love with Insp Alleyn to the detriment of plot and character development. Still love those three authors though and will look out for Hill's latest

Mamie Fri 14-Nov-14 17:40:10

Spoiler alert, but I thought the whole premise of the book was flawed. I just don't think a senior detective would be used like that, it would be a complete waste of his skills and experience and the chances of an inmate knowing who he was would be far too high. I think she has gone awry with Richard's character too and the misery heaped on the family is ridiculous. Very disappointed.

rosesarered Fri 14-Nov-14 21:02:08

Never read any of the Serailler books by Susan Hill. Because I like her writing I bought [what I thought were] 2 books by her for my Kindle priced at £1.99 each, thinking, bargain! However they turned out to be 2 short stories.I'm a bit more careful now before buying.

merlotgran Fri 14-Nov-14 21:22:38

DGD1 is doing The Woman in Black for GCSE. Lucky girl!

numberplease Sat 15-Nov-14 01:26:15

The only book by Susan Hill that I HAVEN`T liked is Woman in Black, it was so over rated, and not really scary at all.

merlotgran Sat 15-Nov-14 12:06:24

I didn't find it scary either, number but then I'm not fifteen. grin

She said she couldn't put it down which made me smile because I had to do The Life of Samuel Johnson which was so boring I couldn't pick it up.