Gransnet forums

Books/book club

A Song for Issy Bradley

(122 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 02-May-15 12:12:24

Many thanks for my copy of this book which the postman had hidden under the recycling boxes when I was out. I am very much looking forward to reading it over the Bank Holiday. My DSiL's family are Mormons and I struggle to understand it.

ajanela Thu 16-Jul-15 18:09:59

I am reading the book now and it is beautifully written especially for a first novel Although the father is a Bishop of the Mormon religion what is happening could apply to any man in any career who becomes totally involved in his work and put his family 2nd or expects them to live their lives according to his doctrine. His children's story could relate to many children who have a family member in a similar position. I would recommend this book.

shysal Wed 01-Jul-15 17:45:30

Congratulations to Carys! flowers

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 30-Jun-15 11:16:45

Big thank you to Carys and thought you might also like to know that the book won the Authors’ Club First Novel Award a couple of weeks ago AND it’s shortlisted for the Desmond Elliott prize, which is being awarded tomorrow night

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:10:52

merlotgran

I nearly gave up on this book when it became so terribly sad I wondered whether I wanted to persevere with reading about the enveloping misery surrounding the death of a small child.

Having the story told from the viewpoint of each member of the family, trying to come to terms with their grief and guilt, gave a good insight into life in the Mormon faith - a religion I knew nothing about. I felt that their lack of support for eachother was a result of being brainwashed by a religion which at times comes across as frankly bonkers!

Like others I regarded Ian as a blinkered, weak and selfish man who leaned so heavily on his faith he was unable to see another tragedy unfolding.

My favourite character was Alma and his take on the aftermath of Issy's death which injected some much needed light relief.

I would like to ask the author: If you were to write a sequel, would Alma be capable of allowing the scales to fall from his eyes and enjoy a future more of his own making?

That is a really interesting question. I think Alma is a bit of a rule-breaker, so I would see him continuing along that path (after a temporary, three Nephite related hiatus, perhaps!).

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:10:19

DavidH22

I found this a thought-provoking and compelling read with characters so well drawn that my emotions got carried away with me. At times I hated Ian and had so much sympathy for Claire that I had to remind myself they are fictional. The story also confirmed my prejudices against all religions. A wonderful novel with just the right amount of humour that always seems to occur in real-life difficult situations when you look at them much later. Question for Carys: When planning the story did you aim to write a book about how a family copes in their situation or were you aiming to show the Mormon religion in the way it comes across which for me is in a very poor light. I will be also interested in your reply to the comments above regarding the ending. For me Claire is turning back to her family as they all come to seek her.

I was aiming to write about how a religious family deals with death. I think some people find religion very comforting and helpful when they are grieving, but I think other people can find it confining. I wanted to explore that. I could have researched Catholicism or another religion, but ultimately, it made sense to use a religion I understand as the backdrop to the novel.

I wasn’t aiming to show Mormonism in a poor light. I know some of the doctrines and attitudes will seem draconian, but I also think/hope that the kindness of certain members of the community and the way they attempt (even if they don’t succeed) to look out for one another shows them as good-hearted and sincere.

I like your interpretation of the ending – it’s how I see it, too.

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:08:57

granh1

SPOILER ALERT!!

I found this book incredibly sad and moving. Issy died and everyone in her family were too busy to notice how ill she was, until it was too late. Everyone in the family feels guilty and tries to come to terms with their grief in different ways.

The family are Mormons and this affects how they grieve. Ian, her father has a biblical quote for every occasion, and retreats into his religion for relief from his grief. Claire, her mother, has doubts about her religion, and withdraws from life, into deep depression. Sister Zippy displaces her grief with an obsession for a boy. Brother Alma wishes he was normal, he would prefer football to religion, and irrationally steals money, which gives him a feeling of security. Young brother Jacob believes in miracles, as well as Father Christmas and the tooth fairy. He is devastated when he realises his will power and faith will not bring Issy back.

I felt angry that Ian’s religious belief put others before the welfare of his family, and he didn’t seem to notice how neglected his wife and children were. I felt sorry for the children who were brain washed into a religion they had been born into, rather than grown into. Claire had been accepted into the religion when she met Ian. She loved him, so moulded herself into the type of woman who would be an acceptable wife for a Mormon. When issy died she had a crisis of faith, I think she questioned the reality of religion, and blamed it for the neglect which led to Issy’s death. Before this, she saved money from her housekeeping - perhaps unconsciously seeing an escape route.

I like the language used e.g. “The house is full of sadness. It’s packed into every crevice and corner like snow”. It is easy to read, moving and sometimes funny. At other times it verges on the surreal when faith and dogma take over reality and common sense. (Pretend weddings, making a cart for the second coming).

I assume the book has a happy ending. Ian says no to a plea for help from the church, and instead he and the children search for Claire who is missing. Claire has gone to the sea in a depressive trance, but intends to return home. The first chapter spells out the danger of the sea and the fast incoming tides, and she is surrounded by water.

My question is - Did she get back to land?

Spoiler alert

Yes, I think so.

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:08:23

annemac101

No other book has ever made me feel so angry and If an author has evoked any kind of feeling they have done their job. Of course it was Ian who made me angry. His total inability to help his family through the worst crisis they have faced and the brothers and sisters of the faith who didn't seem to think he needed to be helping his family and not them.
I didn't know much about the Mormon faith but After reading this book I can't understand how anyone could have such blind faith. It was that blind faith that didn't help poor Jacob in his grieving, the poor wee soul thought faith would bring his sister back. The scene where he sits on the stairs waiting is heartbreaking.
Ian didn't help his wife Claire,non of her sisters in the faith thought of helping her and one just wanted to help herself to Claire's husband. If that is the type of people who believe in the Mormon way of life then thank goodness I don't know any of them.
It was a book I couldn't put down. I do wish we had heard more from Claire about how she was dealing with a faith she didn't really seem to believe in.
I think my question to the author Carys would be, will there be a sequel as I would like to know how the family move on. Also and I know the question has already been asked but just how did her family and extended family react when she left the faith and are they still allowed contact with her. Thanks for the book Gransnet but you have frayed my nerves.

As I have mentioned above - I don’t plan to write a sequel at the moment, but that could change in the future. My family has been great about me leaving the Church – they love the Church, but they love me, too!

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:07:34

Maggiemaybe

I thought this was an excellent book, one of the best I’ve read for a long time. The writing is very accomplished and sensitive, and the themes of love, family, faith and grief are merged so well into a story that I just didn’t want to put down. The insights into the Mormon faith were so interesting, I found myself doing a bit of further research into it (well, okay, Google did it for me). And the shafts of humour were well-placed to lighten the subject matter. I’d love to pass it on to my DD and DIL, but I can imagine them being too deeply affected as young mums by the heartbreaking story of Issy’s death.

SPOILER ALERT At the end, I think Clare is turning towards her family and trying to get back to them. I hope she does, and I hope they work things out. I doubt whether the turning back includes her reconciling with her faith though.

I’d like to thank the author and Gransnet for a great read, and ask Carys which authors she most enjoys reading, and which she feels have been most influential to her work.

Thank you maggiemaybe. I love Carol Shields and I also love Anne Tyler. They are probably my favourite novelists. I love the way they take ordinary lives and make them extraordinary. I also really admire Ali Smith’s writing, she has a style all of her own which makes her novels and short stories a joy to read.

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:07:00

shysal

I finished my copy this morning. As a non-believer I found it hard to identify with the characters, except perhaps Claire. I hope the ending implied that mother and family found the strength to continue as a unit, and were able to move forward despite their grief. What did you intend us to believe, Carys, or was it deliberately left for us to imagine our own conclusions?

I wanted people to be able to draw their own conclusions (but I agree with your interpretation in the opening sentence!).

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:06:31

GrannyGlyn

Yet again a book I would never have chosen for myself. Thank you Gransnet for widening my horizons. Left to my own devices I don't stray very far from what I am comfortable with.
I was apprehensive about a book dealing with the death of a child but am glad I overcame the doubts as, in common with others it seems, I cried, smiled, wanted to hug Jacob and shake Ian.
I wanted someone to help Claire and support her, she had no one to talk to that seemed capable of just being there for her. I also really felt for the two older children, adolescence is hard enough without having such a different way of life and values from your peers. I did not know much about the Mormon faith before I read this, I have been educated, thank you Carys.

Have you started another book yet Carys?

Thank you grannyglyn. I have almost finished a novel about a bus driver called Darren and his 12 year old daughter.

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:06:07

Frannygranny

I enjoyed it, I think. Became increasingly angry with the father who got his priorities wrong, until near the end. If there is a sequel I would be interested to see how the children develop and whether they stay within the strictures of the Mormon church. Is there going to be a sequel?

Thank you frannygranny. I don’t have any plans for a sequel at the moment, but perhaps I will one day.

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:05:39

Greenfinch

I have just finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it to the end .The characters were all so life-like and so interesting and there was a real depth in it. I would like to ask Carys if Claire's reaction to the death was motivated more by perceived guilt than grief or is that for the reader to decide? I read that you yourself suffered the death of a small child and endured depression after the birth of subsequent children. How much of Claire's reaction mirrored your own?

Thank you Greenfinch. I think the answer to the first question is up to the reader. With respect to the second question, one of my children died as a baby. Afterwards I was very gung-ho about it (think Ian Bradley!). I think perhaps the grief caught up with me following the births of my two younger children (although I never took to my bed). When I felt better again, I started to wonder how people cope when an older child dies. It’s something I still occasionally wonder about – it’s almost unimaginable.

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:04:40

trisher

I enjoyed reading this but found it a bit irritating and couldn't decide why. It has some beautifully realised scenes and well written episodes. I finally decided that what annoyed me most was the passivity of the two main female characters, Claire and Zippy. Neither of them seemed to have any interests, talents or ambitions apart from those connected with the man of their dreams. Claire must have had some other interests before her conversion but these don't seem to impact on her life and Zippy must be affected by the contrasts between the futures her school and friends are planning and her own. Compare this with Al's football and rebellion and it seems totally unbalanced. I wondered at first when it was set as the whole atmosphere (not just the Mormons) seemed to be more 1980s than present day My question for Carys "Do Mormon women experience periods of crisis in their lives when they see other young women pursuing their dreams and ambitions and how many leave the faith because of this?"

That’s an interesting point. I agree that Claire is very passive. I think it’s a trade that she has made – she has swapped autonomy for security. I don’t see Zippy as passive. I think she’s just young and somewhat bewildered by how to be ‘good’ in a Mormon sense of the word, while doing the things you’d expect girls of her age to do: GCSEs, going to parties, falling in love for the first time etc.

Re. the question, I can only speak for myself and say that there were times during my twenties when I was mother to four children under the age of 7, that I looked at my school friends’ lives with a degree of envy: it was much harder to be a good Mormon wife and mother than I had imagined. But I don’t think that was why I left the church. I could have stayed and pursued my dreams. I know women who have done that.

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:03:47

Purpledaffodil

Like many others, I found this book unputdownable. The characters were so cleverly drawn and I cried a lot in parts, much to OH's surprise when he looked up from the TV. The detail about the Mormon faith was fascinating and made me want to read more about their beliefs.
SPOILER ALERT!
I should like to ask Carys if the ending was supposed to be ambiguous? Did we need to believe that Claire would survive or not? Or perhaps that will be revealed in a sequel? I do hope there will be one. A great read!

Thank you purpledaffodil. I think the ending can be ambiguous, if the reader wants it to be.

*Spoiler alert*

‘turning to face home’ could either mean Claire’s real home or her heavenly home, but I think Claire’s sense of home is more physical than spiritual, so I do see her surviving and returning home. (but it’s fine not to see it that way!)

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:03:07

Annie29

I just could not put this book down,a brilliant read. Once again I have enjoyed a book from Gransnet I would not have chosen for myself.
It told me a lot about the Mormon faith. My first question is did Carys need to do any research into the Mormon faith as it is now or was it from her childhood experience
It was good how it showed the way each member of the family dealt with the grief of loosing a daughter and sister.
Is Carys planning to write another book? Hope so.
Having recently moved to the same town as the author, it made the book very real to me and thanks for the explanation of why the costal road is so bumpy.

Thank you Annie29. I did a little bit of research, but not very much as I grew up in a Mormon family and initially raised my own children as Mormons. I am just finishing off my second novel. Hope you’re enjoying Southport!

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:02:34

cazthebookworm

I too have just finished the book and my feelings are identical to nearly everyone elses, in particular Lowslung1, I echo all she has said.
I find some of the Mormon beliefs quite hard to comprehend and they seem so rigid and old-fashioned. It must be so difficult for a child to adhere to them in these very modern times.
I loved the characters, in particular Jacob, and the book was beautifully written.
Some of the comical parts made me laugh out loud, in particular, the 4 B's.
I have no adverse criticism at all, would just like to ask Carys how her parents and her relatives reacted to her rejecting the Mormon religion, and how has it impacted on her own family?
No regrets I'm sure!!
Thanks again for a fascinating and enjoyable book, I hope to read more of hers.

Thank you cazthebookworm. I think it was hard for my parents to see me leave because the Church means a lot to them. Fortunately, I mean a lot to them, too and we have maintained a good relationship. Phew!

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:02:06

Lowslung1

Like loopylou I wasn't sure I would be able to finish the book. The first few chapters, even up to half way through the book, were so steeped in the Mormon way of life, it felt as though it was just going to continue in the same vein, which to be honest, was getting a bit much. However, I kept reading and ended up really enjoying it. The characters are very real and well portrayed, Ian needed to open his eyes to his families needs rather than "other members" as well as Claire, who must have known how much the children needed her
All in all and good read - different in some ways too. I have learned something about the Mormons.
I should like to ask Carys if she has had any regrets leaving the religion?

I don’t have any regrets, but I occasionally miss the feelings of certainty and I also miss the hymns. Mormons are very enthusiastic hymn singers and there’s something lovely about communal singing.

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:01:38

Gagagran

I think this is a brilliant book and a real expose of a religion in totalitarian form - as so many of them seem to be. I have passed it on to my 14-year old DGD, who is an avid reader too, and I am sure she will be fascinated to realise how much freedom her atheist parents allow her, to think and decide for herself what she believes.

May I ask if your own experience of Mormonism changed you into an atheist or agnostic Carys?

Thank you gagagran (great name!). I would describe myself as agnostic. I think my experience of Mormonism resulted in me becoming more comfortable with questions that can’t be answered than answers that can’t be questioned. I think I believe in life before death!

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 11:01:08

Greenfinch

I am half way through and absolutely loving this book. The characters are so real and the insight into Mormonism is fascinating and exactly as I have experienced it in my Sil's family :total obedience and the husband's position as head of the family. My SiL is no longer a Mormon and so his mother tells him they won't be together in Eternity. Fortunately this does not worry him. When his mother came to our grandchildren's baptism she walked out in the middle proclaiming that God was telling her she shouldn't be there .You were very brave to leave Carys and I'm sure you did the right thing for you and your family. Please, please write a sequel and let us know what happens to the second generation of this family.They are all so interesting in their own right.

Thank you greenfinch. Oh dear, that’s a real shame about the baptism. I have to say that lots of Mormons I know wouldn’t have done that. In fact, some Mormons close to me recently attended a friend’s civil partnership ceremony.

I’m working on a very different book at the moment, but I might come back to the Bradleys one day!

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 10:59:39

loopylou

Fascinating and somewhat disturbing book, it certainly made me think!
Carys - is this truly how the Mormon faith is lived?
Excellent book, I loved it!

Thank you loopylou. I would say that some people live Mormonism like this. There are devout Mormons and less devout Mormons. As I mentioned earlier, I’d say the Bradleys are at the devout end of the scale.

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 10:58:38

mbody

What an excellent book, very well written and it gave an in depth look at the Mormon way of life which I found fascinating. Perhap Carys could tell me whether she is still in touch with any members of the Mormon Church and did her leaving sever links with her relatives. Incidentally I really could not blame anyone for leaving such a strange way of life.

Thank you mbody. I still have lots of Mormon friends and family. While there are lots of things about Mormonism that I don’t especially like, there are some things that are lovely (the way people feed and care for you if you’re unwell, for example). I think all religions are probably quite strange to outsiders! I don’t know what to make of priests wearing robes and hats, or exorcisms, or the prohibition of blood transfusions – they seem quite strange to me, but I know people who think they are ordinary, run-of-the-mill things.

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 10:57:56

nonnanna

winifred01 So sorry. That must have been awful for you all. My baby daughter died back in the 70's, after days in hospital ICU. Reading about the hospital scenes and the smells back at home brings it all back doesn't it? It's my biggest dread that one of the grandchildren should die because I don't want our children to go through that pain. I persevered with Issy Bradley tho and am ready to ask Carys a question now.

Carys - I found myself getting very agitated with the Mormon faith of Ian, I felt as if I was drowning in Mormonism at the beginning of the book. Is this what it's really like? I just cannot believe that Ian's parents didn't come back from their Mission to help to support the family.

Like Rosannie I would like to say what a brilliant book you have written. The characters are excellently portrayed. Al's three Nephites were amazing. Some of Jacob's lines were superb and we now need to know if you are going to write more about the Bradley family.

Thank you Carys Bray and Gransnet

Thank you Nonnanna. Like all religions, Mormonism has its very devout members and its more casual members. The Bradleys are definitely at the devout end of the scale. I think that if/when people believe this life is very small, almost like an aperitif in the grand scheme of things, then it’s perhaps a little easier to miss out on family occasions.

I don’t plan to write about the Bradleys again at the moment, but I won’t say never!

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 10:56:55

Rosannie

I couldn't put the book down and had to carry on reading to the end once I had started.
It was well written and very enlightening for me as a person who knew very little about the Mormon religion and how followers incorporate it into everyday family life.
I likened the catastrophic event in the family to an earthquake and the subsequent disintegration of the family, their beliefs and their relationships was like the aftershocks and the shifting of tectonic plates after the disaster.
I liked the way in which the author drew the thread of each character and their perspective on the tragedy separately and then wove them back together for a breath-taking conclusion.
I would like to ask Cary which (if any) of the characters did she identify with the most? I would also like to thank her for an honest, well written book.

Thank you Rosannie. That’s a hard question! I feel sympathetic towards each of the characters, even Ian! I probably have the strongest connection to Alma. I feel sorry for him because he’s really quite a good boy, it’s just that he can’t be good in the way his dad wants him to be.

CarysBray Tue 30-Jun-15 10:56:23

jocelyne

Very touching story, sad, tragic but so well told and I have learnt a lot about the religion in question. Did the author know someone who had such a tragic time in their life ? What is her next project?
Thank you for such a touching story.

Thank you Jocelyne. I don't know anyone who has lost a child to meningitis and I don't know anyone who has fallen apart after losing a child. I do know people who have lost children or had very sick children. I am just finishing off my second novel which is about a bus driver called Darren and his 12 year old daughter.

FawnDrench Mon 08-Jun-15 18:38:57

Absorbing, informative and thought-provoking book. Thanks so much for my copy.
It deals admirably with an upsetting topic without falling into the realms of sensationalism, and the humorous touches throughout serve gently to lighten up a very dark and depressing subject matter.